Any benefit to a 5w30 in my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2006 Honda Accord with the 2.4 i-vtec. The owners manual specs 5w20 with 0w20 being an acceptable alternative. Ever since I learned that 0w20 was acceptable, and now even being recommended I started using only 0w20 oils. Now that winter has passed I have been considering using a 5w30 synthetic on the thin side of the 30 weight spec. So a SOPUS synthetic in other words. My driving style is 1-5 miles to work twice daily depending on which route I take. At least twice a week I run errands, all of which are 5 miles or less. I am able to drive on the highway about once every two months, its then that I take the opportunity to give the throttle a little work out (not hardly abuse just letting it rev up to 4500 while entering the freeway) but even then the highway drives are only 15 miles one way (so 30 miles round trip with most of those being the stop and go getting to the highway, actual highway driving time is only about 2.5 miles before I exit). So in typical BITOG hair splitting fashion, I ask, Is there any benefit to running a 5w30 in my application? I only ask because I dont like the cam lobe wear marks I see on my cams, also I wouldnt mind having the extra oil film for the times I like to work out my right foot. Also, lately Ive seen on here how so many run a grade thicker and say theres nothing wrong, and how 0w20 is only for CAFE and not long term wear, as other countries with the same engines use thicker oils. I just have to wonder, could there be any long term benefit from a wear stand point? Or should I stick with my 0w20? I really want/need this car to last as long as possible. I want to prevent all wear that I can. I always take it easy (less than 3000 rpm) until the oil is warm, which hardly ever happens. I always use synthetic or synthetic blend 0w20 and a Fram Ultra oil filter, maybe a Honda Genuine if I feel like it. What say you for my summer OCI...stick with 0w20, or bump up to 5w30?

I would stay with a XXw20. my truck gets 5w20 usually and it's just fine at 314, xxxkm. I'm also not very nice to it. I'm a thicker isn't better guy but they will post after me.

Sounds like you are short tripping a good amount. No point in going to 5w30 if your car specs 5w20 and personally you have no reason to go with a thicker oil. 0w20 will be great. My car in sig originally spec'd 5w30,ive used 5w20, and 0w20. Runs great on all of it as im sure yours will.

If you are curious go ahead and try it. Worst case you go back to the 0w20. Trying different weights/oils is fun but I wouldnt expect any "real" benefits besides what you might feel is, "different".

Greg, not only isn't there an advantage to going thicker, I'd actually recommend against it based on the use of the car: Short trips are hardest on oil b/c the engine doesn't fully warm up, so if anything, thinner is better.

Aside from the fact that the engineers that spec'd 5-20 usually know more than we do..

'twas a time when thicker was better, but it aint so no more. Stick with manufacturer specs unless you have some very compelling reason to switch..more than familiarity or 'feelings'.

If anything, consider shortening the OCI. Short trips are hard on oil, not the least is that it doesnt warms up enough to fully evaporate any moisture that condenses.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Greg, not only isn't there an advantage to going thicker, I'd actually recommend against it based on the use of the car: Short trips are hardest on oil b/c the engine doesn't fully warm up, so if anything, thinner is better.

Aside from the fact that the engineers that spec'd 5-20 usually know more than we do..

'twas a time when thicker was better, but it aint so no more. Stick with manufacturer specs unless you have some very compelling reason to switch..more than familiarity or 'feelings'.

If anything, consider shortening the OCI. Short trips are hard on oil, not the least is that it doesnt warms up enough to fully evaporate any moisture that condenses.

I have been a member of the "thin is in" crowd for a while. Its just lately, I have noticed a lot of talk about how 0w20 is mainly in the US and how its speced for year round use. That overseas, the same engines spec higher grade oils, and that you may use even higher grades of oil based on temperatures or availability. Just had me thinking, and reconsidering my view as I do want the best protection for my engine.

The 30 won't hurt and may reduce oil consumption, Hondas seem to last a long time with any oil.

The 5W-30 will not hurt if you keep your car in Florida all year, or anywhere else except in the coldest winter.

The 5W-30 if used in that fashion will give you a bigger choice of oils.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The 30 won't hurt and may reduce oil consumption, Hondas seem to last a long time with any oil.

Ive never seen the oil level drop so thats not a factor.

Your Honda is not qualified for 5W-30.
laugh.gif

Honestly, I'd 5W20 it all year round, or even go Mobil 0W20, something without the stratospheric VIs.

5W30 is certainly your prerogative, and harmless bar a 10th of an MPG or so.

If cam wear is an issue, thicker oil may not help. A more robust oil might...

Think high mileage or diesel oil... maybe try a 5w20 HM oil... more anti-wear additives (usually...), and often at the thick end of the grade.

If you accept the fact that the engineers that designed your car knew what they were doing you might consider accepting their recommendation for the proper oil for you to use.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you accept the fact that the engineers that designed your car knew what they were doing you might consider accepting their recommendation for the proper oil for you to use.

He might be questioning whether the engineers that designed that car had additional factors in the equation than the ultimate longevity of his vehicle...and they do if they want to stay employed as engineers.

A company that operates in the desert regions of California, Nevada and Arizona uses 5w-20 Motorcraft semi in their Ford gas powered pickups in what I'd call severe service, hot weather, dirt and sand roads, hills, heavy loads and trailers and wide open highway travel with no speed limits. They change their oil and filter every 5K miles and only retire a pickup when it reaches 250-300K or gets wrecked. One yard truck has 600K on the clock. This could indicate that in this case the 20 weight oil is doing a good job.

They have had cooling system failures that toast an engine and knocked holes in the oil pan but they have never had an oil related engine failure. Oil consumption has not been a problem, either. When oil consumption becomes a problem they fix the problem and keep using the 20 weight oil. Usual fixes are valve seals and sometimes the oil control rings and other engine seals and gaskets and cam drive gear but excessive oil consumption is a rare problem. On a tear down at 288K miles the bottom end of the engine looked like it could continue in service as is. The cylinder walls and valve gear looked worn but in good shape, only expected wear and no failure indicators.

Their fleet is 66 plus or minus 2 or 3 working trucks, 3 executive trucks and one yard truck. In 2005 they ran 5w-20 beside 5w-30 and chose the 20 weight after lab work and 2 tear downs. They also use all NAPA filters. I would say that if it works in their trucks it might work okay for a commuter car just fine.

Greg, you will not be able to tell any difference between 5w20 and 5w30 the 5w20 makes more sense in your use (and I AM a thicker is better guy most of the time).

Have you done any recent UOA's? Were you getting bad fuel dilution from all the short trips? If you were that would be the only reason I could think of for considering a 5w30. Or run an OCI of it for fun it won't hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back