has ony used this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why dilute your fully formulated and tested oil with this "secret solution in search of a problem"

Last edited:
I just read the msds it says 99% ester, should I just stay with the mos2 or is ester a better additive .

Originally Posted By: abycat
I close my eyes and picture a bunch of guys milking a snake for its oil!

I always thought that they cold pressed the snakes like they do with olive oil.

If their additive is so good, why they don't sell it directly to the oil manufacturers?????

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Originally Posted By: abycat
I close my eyes and picture a bunch of guys milking a snake for its oil!

I always thought that they cold pressed the snakes like they do with olive oil.

If their additive is so good, why they don't sell it directly to the oil manufacturers?????

ha ha ha ha nice one! You do also make a good point. im not an additive fan so I doubt id even try it. Good quality oil with a good filter and a reasonable oci and your Golden!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Composition: 99% Ester. Hmm...

Shhhh! It's a NEGATIVELY charged ester.

Quote:
Negatively charged synthetic ester tenaciously attaches to all internal parts completely lubricating your engine.

Do a search on LSI institute and tell me what you find.

Not liking this.

Quote:
Swell seals 1 1/2 % to 3% and then lubricates them to prevent wear

Then says..

Quote:
Protect rubber seals

The problem is with modern engines and some additives is seal compatibility, there are more different seals materials in use today then ever before.
Long gone are the basic nitrile and neoprene based sealing materials that were common even just a decade ago.
These materials while not compatible would swell without failure, some other materials wont. One example is small engine carb fuel bowl O rings, take it out and sometimes its so swollen you cant get it back in the channel, but it didn't fail and leak.
Some of the modern materials don't act that way, they fail and leak.

Unless you assembled the engine yourself and knew the material of every seal and gasket you could actually cause oil leaks with some additives if run long term like a full OCI.
I am convinced many oil leaks are cause by people being too nice to their cars engine trying to protect it from normal wear with additives.

Spec oil is tested for seal compatibility, stray from that and you just opened a can of worms with possible consequences.
Then there is always the poster that says "i used product X in the oil in my Ford for years and no leaks" yeah okay but i have a Toyota are the seals made of the same material?

IMHO engine oil today is so good you really don't need to add anything "extra" to the oil unless you are attempting to fix a real problem on a neglected engine.

Check these list..

http://www.fluidseals.com.au/o-ring_application_guide.php

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart

49.gif

It mostly contains a Trimethylepropane (TMP) ester.

TMP is a common ester in some OTC and Botique oils and is used primarily for cleaning and friction reduction.

Too much and the front and rear seals will swell to the point of extreme wear on the inner lips, causing leaks.

Valve stem seals might also swell too much and you end up with a smoker.

I would not add this to my PCMO since your PCMO might already contain this in a balanced formulation.

So in summary, a snake oil does nothing, but this does something, so it is not a snake oil; but what it does might not be something you want it to do.

Last edited:
Do Polymeric Ester additives (Hyperlube), or the other esters like in Lubregard Biotech, also swell seals too much, like this TMP ester does?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back