Grease for starter motor, pinion bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.
My bosch starter motor emits a chattering-whining noise when I let go of the key - besides from this the starter works great. I don't know exactly what causes the noise but I'm guessing the pinion bearing (might be a plain bronze bearing) is dry, or that a freewheel-clutch is bad.

Anyone in here having a lot of experience rebuilding starters? Which parts should be lubed and whith what lubricant ?

Thanks in advance. ..
//Greg

never use moly grease on a bushing. Good ole red or green farm grease is OK.

The drive and spline can take Moly though.

Or not, they are harder than hammered [censored] and never seem to wear.

Rod

I soak the sintered bushings in the BMWs' Bosch heater motors in ATF overnight. The permanent original lube dies after 15-20 yrs. If you can get the job done before shafts stick to bushings and spin them, you can get plenty more use out of a Bosch motor. I had a starter drive fail to engage until the 3rd try.on my first 528e around 230 k miles. It was my daily driver so I went with a factory re-manned starter and never got around to doing anything with the take out. I would look for a local shop that rebuilds them. Or Google up a parts diagram for your starter. If you opt for a "rebuilt" starter from a chain store jobber, eat the core charge until you are 100% satisfied with the replacement. You know yours at least worked at one time. There is only faith and hope in a part that comes out of a box. I never considered motor oil for the bushing, Ive put a dab of grease on them or a shot of spray lube on the starter drive. I used to watch a local mechanic rebuild a starter. He would test the field and the armature. Then he would put the armature on a lathe and re surface the commutator. If the brushes were short, it would get new brushes and maybe a front bearing or at least a repacking. Make sure the positive cable connection is clean and tight. I would consider a local pro. My 25+ yr old BMW's Bosch equipment is alive and well on its own merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back