Have your Vitamin D level checked

Status
Not open for further replies.
2-5000 is probably ok. If you are really light weight be careful perhaps only 1k per day. Its fat soluable, so best taken after a meal with some fat in it.

The brand that I take is Carlson. It is Vitamin D3. About $17 for a year's supply on Amazon (360 gel capsules). Carlson is a highly reputable brand.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
What brand vitamin D are you guys taking ?

Originally Posted By: reemoe2
The brand that I take is Carlson. It is Vitamin D3. About $17 for a year's supply on Amazon (360 gel capsules). Carlson is a highly reputable brand.

I only take "NatureMade" All their Products are "USP" no other readily available are. It needs to have the blue "USP" on it. "Meets USP" ain't making it!!!

Their products are available everywhere and they are cheap. They often have "2 for 1" deals

http://www.naturemade.com/vitamins/vitamin-d/vitamin-d-1000-iu

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Al,

Thanks, I've taken Nature Made fish oil in the past. I'll try their vitamins.

Good. I was just surprised that no other brands that I have seen have this label.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Were you taking 1K-D3 prior to the diagnosis? How long now with D3 and is it a cheap / moderate or expensive brand-name?

You should not need a 5K dose to being that level up. What other pills, supplements......etc.... are you taking? One of them may be interfering with your improved numbers.

For example: My potassium was out of whack for a long time, only to find out three years later it was the water-pill brand I was taking for High Blood Pressure, that caused it to drain low.

As I was saying, I was taking a 1,000 units Vitamin D supplement daily for years. I take usually buy Nature Made.

My doctors are aware of the meds and supplements I take. I will see my endo this coming week and ask her. When they found out my D level was at the low end, they said it would take up to six months to get the level up.

I get a Chem 8 and electrolyte panel plus magnesium and phosphorus checked regularly. All fine.

hotwheels

Hmm, I should probably take some Vitamin D. I work nights so I see the sun set when I go to work, and thats about it. Sunday is about the only day I actually see.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Hmm, I should probably take some Vitamin D. I work nights so I see the sun set when I go to work, and thats about it. Sunday is about the only day I actually see.

You need about 15 minutes of sunlight on an area equal to your and arms and face every day to produce enough Vitamin D. Although fluorescent lights emit UV light, it does not have the proper wavelength. You need UVB between between 270 and 300 nm.

At a checkup, ask your doctor for a D-25 Hydroxy blood test. I've never seen a doctor refuse a chance to make some money.

hotwheels

I've been taking this new vitamin supplement called Warfarin. Seems to work pretty good. Whatever foreign pathogen that enters my bloodstream quickly dies.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

You need about 15 minutes of sunlight on an area equal to your and arms and face every day to produce enough Vitamin D. Although fluorescent lights emit UV light, it does not have the proper wavelength. You need UVB between between 270 and 300 nm.

At a checkup, ask your doctor for a D-25 Hydroxy blood test. I've never seen a doctor refuse a chance to make some money.

hotwheels

Cheese, I haven't had a checkup in....10 years?

hotwheels [/quote]

maybe the fluorescent "grow lights" have the uvb light needed, since they are supposed to simulate sunlight.
there's likely some bitoger's who use grow lights for starting "veggies" in the spring. maybe someone will chime in.

I know in "Bearded Dragon" & "Iguana" days fluorescent bulbs that produced concentrated desert or tropical amounts of UVa & UVb were needed. They needed for the exact reasons we do and since you can't really keep a cold blooded animal outdoors in the winter that was your only recourse.

Like every bulb they wore out over time and the window for use for 6 months at best. They weren't cheap either, $10-$20 a bulb as I recall.

You could feel the UV coming off of them to. Look at them to long and your eyes would hurt a lot.

The best I used when I had my beardie was a UVA/UVB/Heat lamp. It was a self ballasted mercury vapor lamp without the coatings they usually put on regular lamps to shield our eyes from the UV. The same with fluorescent as well.

You could certainly use those in a house lamp but remember what UV rays do to the other things by your windows...

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Were you taking 1K-D3 prior to the diagnosis? How long now with D3 and is it a cheap / moderate or expensive brand-name?

You should not need a 5K dose to being that level up. What other pills, supplements......etc.... are you taking? One of them may be interfering with your improved numbers.

For example: My potassium was out of whack for a long time, only to find out three years later it was the water-pill brand I was taking for High Blood Pressure, that caused it to drain low.

As I was saying, I was taking a 1,000 units Vitamin D supplement daily for years. I take usually buy Nature Made.

My doctors are aware of the meds and supplements I take. I will see my endo this coming week and ask her. When they found out my D level was at the low end, they said it would take up to six months to get the level up.

I get a Chem 8 and electrolyte panel plus magnesium and phosphorus checked regularly. All fine.

hotwheels

I saw my endo today and she said to continue with 5,000 units D3 per day. While I am at the low end for the normal D25 Hydroxy range, she says it's sufficient. Will retest in one month.

hotwheels

Some doctors are clueless on how some drugs interact. The only way my Potassium level got straightened out was because my doctor died and when I found a new doctor, he discovered why my Potassium was draining right away.

You should not be needing 5K per day. Something is draining it. When my Vitamin D was real-real low, it only took a couple weeks on 1K-daily to get the level back up.

Vit D is Fat soluble if your taking Vit D it needs to be taken with some oil like Olive or Sunflower unless its a Gel cap that all ready has oil in it.
If you dont take it with oil you will not absorb it properly, meaning you can take 10 - 20 k worth and not absorb much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back