HiPoint .40S&W Carbine Kaboom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, YouTube.

When I am searching for that empirically accurate analysis, that objective comparison, that unbiased insight, my first resource is YouTube...how better to further my understanding?

Sorry you disagree with other's opinions, gmurra, but using all caps and hiding behind YouTube isn't exactly bolstering your case...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Ah yes, YouTube.

When I am searching for that empirically accurate analysis, that objective comparison, that unbiased insight, my first resource is YouTube...how better to further my understanding?

Sorry you disagree with other's opinions, gmurra, but using all caps and hiding behind YouTube isn't exactly bolstering your case...

+1 And I refused to sell them after witnessing several reasons including witnessing slides that crack. They are cheap in my opinion, not just inexpensive. They use zinc in place of proper ordnance steel in several places and that does not sit will with me knowing the strength and properties of that material. Personally I don't care if you buy my opinion or not. But I do know that my opinion is based on more knowledge than You Tube. When you give conference papers on small arms design and receive a masters degree for a thesis on it, then you can question my knowledge. Panels composed of technology historians and engineers saw fit to approve of my knowledge at several points in my academic career.

Last edited:
Since You Tube is what some people understand to be the absolute truth on here....here is a good example of the quality of materials used in the slides of Hi Points. If I can melt my slide about as easy as I can lead...I am not sure I want to trust that component to not crack on me under the stress of high pressure cartridges such as the 9mm parabellum or 40 S&W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiwPt-wMfdI

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my local Gun Store not only doesn't sell HiPoints, they refuse to perform transfers of HiPoints (and some other brands) because of poor quality.

Originally Posted By: gmurra
What all caps and what am I hiding behind Thanks for your military service

You emphasized their usernames by spelling them in all caps. The words DUMB STUPID NONSENSE were also all caps. All caps is the equivalent of yelling...so, why are you yelling? Yelling out their names and your opinion?

Because you don't like what they said?

I've never owned a High Point. I've got no experience on which to base an opinion. It's clear that this High Point fired out of battery, look at the case, but I kept my comments to the point: this wasn't an ammo failure.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
For what it's worth, my local Gun Store not only doesn't sell HiPoints, they refuse to perform transfers of HiPoints (and some other brands) because of poor quality.

Same here. Other pistols such as Jennings, Jimmenez, Cobra, etc were also "pistola non grata" at my place during my FFL days.

If you don't like me putting the name in capital letters get over it. Since you are in the military I would think you could handle it so put on your big boy pants and deal with it. Also no where did I say it did not fire out of battery, it's very obvious it did. Just like the video I was talking about on utube with the S&W M&P that did the same thing and it was only an example that it can happen to all priced guns high & low, not that utube is gospel like you two made it out to be. By the way I own a M&P and Hi-Points and many other high dollar guns so don't think I don't know what I am talking about. One thing I will never do is come on here and blow my horn and tell somebody not to buy Hi-Point just because it is a low dollar gun and it is a piece of junk because I know from experience it is not. If you haven't owned one or shot one you wouldn't know. Also I think someone would feel awful bad if they told somebody not to buy a Hi-Point and they couldn't afford a higher priced gun so they went without and somebody broke in and robbed or killed them because they didn't have a gun because they listened to people like you that just go by heresay or what they read or what someone told them. Enough on this subject. Have A Good Day! Glen

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gmurra
If you don't like me putting the name in capital letters get over it. Since you are in the military I would think you could handle it so put on your big boy pants and deal with it. Also no where did I say it did not fire out of battery, it's very obvious it did. Just like the video I was talking about on utube with the S&W M&P that did the same thing and it was only an example that it can happen to all priced guns high & low, not that utube is gospel like you two made it out to be. By the way I own a M&P and Hi-Points and many other high dollar guns so don't think I don't know what I am talking about. One thing I will never do is come on here and blow my horn and tell somebody not to buy Hi-Point just because it is a low dollar gun and it is a piece of junk because I know from experience it is not. If you haven't owned one or shot one you wouldn't know. Also I think someone would feel awful bad if they told somebody not to buy a Hi-Point and they couldn't afford a higher priced gun so they went without and somebody broke in and robbed or killed them because they didn't have a gun because they listened to people like you that just go by heresay or what they read or what someone told them. Enough on this subject. Have A Good Day! Glen

Nowhere did I criticize High Point. I did criticize your attitude.

Wading through the above rant, it's clear that am not the one with a problem handling criticism.

More than once I sold a gun at COST to people who desperately needed a gun but could not afford retail price. When I had an FFL I often put 9mm Makarovs in peoples hands instead of hi points. They atleast had a long record to back them up in police and military service as well as the fact they underwent stringent testing. The nice thing is the people I helped actually got a gun that went up in value, not down. There are almost always affordable alternatives that are better made, more durable, and more reliable than a Hi Point.

Every single gun company has made a lemon....some just specialize in them. So dragging S&W through the mud to make Hi Point look better is a person living in a glass house throwing stones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Ah yes, YouTube.

+1 And I refused to sell them after witnessing several reasons including witnessing slides that crack. They are cheap in my opinion, not just inexpensive. They use zinc in place of proper ordnance steel in several places and that does not sit will with me knowing the strength and properties of that material. Personally I don't care if you buy my opinion or not. But I do know that my opinion is based on more knowledge than You Tube. When you give conference papers on small arms design and receive a masters degree for a thesis on it, then you can question my knowledge. Panels composed of technology historians and engineers saw fit to approve of my knowledge at several points in my academic career.

Mr. Robenstein, I appreciate your education and background. Even in engineering matters, experience and prejudice influence judgment. I'm pretty sure that Beeman Mfg. had degreed people do calucations, and I imagine they built more than a few prototypes and conducted more than a "couple of shots" to test the design. Remember that there were quite a few well educated and experienced naval engineers that claimed the Titanic was unsinkable.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
Ah yes, YouTube.

Mr. Robenstein, I appreciate your education and background. Even in engineering matters, experience and prejudice influence judgment. I'm pretty sure that Beeman Mfg. had degreed people do calucations, and I imagine they built more than a few prototypes and conducted more than a "couple of shots" to test the design. Remember that there were quite a few well educated and experienced naval engineers that claimed the Titanic was unsinkable.

If that argument makes one feel confident about shooting guns with extensive use of zamak pot metal, then that is fine with me. It is not my life nor my extremities on the line.

Geeze you people argue about everything. While I doubt I would ever own a HiPoint handgun, they amazingly do work and provide a low price point.

The 4095 carbines, again, while heavy and ugly. Do seem to generally work. Despite this less the controlled pressure release, there were no shards 'o gun strewn about.

The only reason I'm not posting is because there is no news to report. Beemiller received my carbine on Monday. It will be 2-3 before I hear anything. I'm pretty calm about this whole thing. The gun was only $250. Yeah I want to further test the accuracy, but it suddenly got cold an dreary here again, so wait for spring!

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
Any one for a Snickers?

isK2wbC.gif

Originally Posted By: Falken
When I was a kid, around 14 or so, my father used to take me out plinking with a Canadian Tire M16R (Squires Bingham Philippines) and I used to have a goal to shoot off a whole brick of ammo I use to save up to buy.

Shot piles of old white box Winchester Wildcat .22, and I really liked cheap Super Fast brand ammo that was always 10 bucks CDN a brick.

Never had a problem, and rarely a jam.

Then I tried to shoot a brick of Remington Thunderbolt ammo when they first came out, even paid a bit more for them.

Dirty horrible ammo. All irregular and inconsistent powder charges.

I was in a sand pit banging around at a garbage dump and pulled the trigger and the gun made a very odd click sound, very odd pop.

I unloaded the gun, and locked the action open and used a piece of paper to direct sun into the ejection port to see down the barrel, and it was blocked.

I found an old, very stiff bullrush and peeled it a bit thinner, and belive it or not I was able to push the bullet head back into the ejection port and roll it into my hand.

My father watched his 14 year old son pull this off. He was blown away.

I go out of my way to NOT buy Remington ammunition. I have had issues and they didn't even respond to my e-mails. I no longer use any of their ammunition.

Remington Ammo is the one ammo my 22's all hate. My Walther P22, AR 22 cienver conversion, my Norinco Olympia, and my Beretta NEOS all hate it.

I now only use it in my bolt action Winchester 69.

Every single gun company has made a lemon....some just specialize in them. So dragging S&W through the mud to make Hi Point look better is a person living in a glass house throwing stones.

That's a fact. My most favorite and least favorite guns are both made by Smith and Wesson. My Beretta is a close second to my most favorite.

Got my carbine back with an extra magazine for my trouble. They seriously replaced and redid over 14 parts. Looks like they did a fine job, and fired a mess of ammo through it. I won't list all the new parts but most all bolt and firing assembly parts, and all the springs in the gun.

Noted:

Headspace - "Readjusted (set deeper)"
Chamber - "burr in chamber"

Trigger - "Shortened disconnect"

Hopefully I can make it to the range this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back