what filter for a 10k+ OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
08 scion tC (2AZ-FE engine)

I have your usual Fram that was free with Oil change, but I'm putting in some 0w20 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel economy so I'd prefer a better filter that's worth the oil it's filtering.

My goto filter is the Purolator PL14477 but the Advanced Auto Parts is not within walking distance. I forgot to get the filter before I drained so I'm stuck with what AutoZone and O'Reilly carry
eek.gif

Last edited:
I think an OCOD will go for 10K, but that is really pushing it & do not do so twice. Do not go past 10K with that filter.

If it is a Tough Guard or better, do not be concerned.

I use MC filters in both Fords with M1 0-20 at 10K OCIs. I have been doing 10K OCIs since 1978 with M1 oils, so I have a lot of experience doing this. At present both engines are very clean, and perform well.

Originally Posted By: KW
Oreilly's has Wix filters, I often use them for 10,000 miles.

all the wix filters I get have super small medias in them compared to the equivalent in another brand. I'd go fram. Not orange can but anything higher. Orange can might do it but for 2$ more.

Originally Posted By: rancur3p1c
which has superior smaller-particle filtration? Purolator is 99.9% of 10-micron

This information is not true, I believe they are 99.9% at 30 microns which is not awesome, the industry standard test is tested using 20 micron standards which it will not be 99.9% at.

The Fram Ultra is 99%+ @20 microns, the tough guard is 99%@20 microns. Fram Ultra is also 80% @5 microns which is awesome.

Wix XP/Napa Platinum is 50% efficient at 20 microns.

NAPA Gold or regular Wix are higher than Platinum with 95%@20 microns just like the Fram orange can extra guards

If you want top of the line filters look for the Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filter. The Mobil 1 is at least 95% @20 microns iirc.

Most of us are flat out avoiding Purolator filters including the classic, PureOne and Bosch premium since the filter media has been randomly developing media tears, not the filter you want to be pushing very far.

The Bosch Distance plus is not having any issues though and is a very nice filter very similar to the Mobil 1.

Dast I say a Fram Ultra? 15K OCI and 99% @ 20um. Part number XG4967 seems to be the one for your Scion:

Code:

2008 SCION TC 4-2.4L F/inj. (16V) DOHC 2AZ-FE

Part Type Part

ULTRA XG4967

TOUGH GUARD TG4967

HIGH MILEAGE HM4967

EXTRA GUARD PH4967

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Dast I say a Fram Ultra? 15K OCI and 99% @ 20um. Part number XG4967 seems to be the one for your Scion:

Code:

2008 SCION TC 4-2.4L F/inj. (16V) DOHC 2AZ-FE

Part Type Part

ULTRA XG4967

TOUGH GUARD TG4967

HIGH MILEAGE HM4967

EXTRA GUARD PH4967

clowns. "oh, it requires a special filter" no. Use the Camry filter, get more media, same price. This stuff is why I don't like giving Fram my money.

4-2.4L F/inj. (16V) DOHC 2AZ-FE ULTRA/XTENDED GUARD PREMIUM LUBE FILTER XG4386
TOUGHGUARD TG4386
HIGHMILEAGE HM4386
EXTRAGUARD PH4386

your filter you linked:
XG4967_FRO.JPG

the camry filter:
XG4386_FRO.JPG

Last edited:
Even the smaller Fram Ultra is rated for 15,000 miles which is probably already conservative. Not really needed to up size unless he wants to run a 20k+ fci

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Even the smaller Fram Ultra is rated for 15,000 miles which is probably already conservative. Not really needed to up size unless he wants to run a 20k+ fci

well, less pressure / unit area means less potentially better flow.

what's FCI?

yes I am OK with 20k, I think I just want to get the oil choice correct.

Last edited:
I have an 08 tc also, and I'm also running m1 afe 0w-20. I'm using a Napa Gold (Wix) and it's working perfectly fine. I'll be switching to Fram Ultras later since they are more efficient. I never understood why aftermarkets always refer to the 4967 size instead of the 4386 that the Camrys use...

Originally Posted By: rancur3p1c
which has superior smaller-particle filtration? Purolator is 99.9% of 10-micron
Im going to call you out on this too, this is false information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back