Consumer Reports on Direct Injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I'm really glad it worked out for you. You're one of the more fortunate early adapters.

That is blatantly false and you know it. The issues are vastly in the minority. The number of sales of DI engines immensely outnumbers the number of issues out there.

Traditional motors still have issues, too. Are you out there congratulating everyone with no problems for the good fortune?

I have a new Honda Fit with a direct injection engine. The manual says it is designed to operate on up to 15% ethanol.

I suppose if that is the case, then I'm not overly concerned about the ethanol use as where I am the pumps state that they use UP TO 10% ethanol. As long as Honda and the fuel providers are being honest....I trust that I have nothing to worry about.

Would not matter much anyway as finding non-ethanol fuel here, as well as a Top-Tier , high detergency mix WITHOUT ethanol....is almost impossible. Premium makes no difference in ethanol amounts in my neck of the woods UNLESS I specifically go to an advertised non-ethanol station. Very, very, few are anywhere close by and all but one station is even top-tier.

No thanks...not worth the effort in regards to ethanol.

As for some research I did about using Chevron Techron additive to keep things cleaner in my DI engine? Well, while the product will help in keeping the injectors clean and the combustion chamber itself....it will have no effect on the area that DI engines have had some issues with...and that is the valves.

From the info I have seen, the majority of the conclusions revolve around using top-tier gas for it's higher levels of cleaner detergents and avoid the inexpensive, non-brand name fuels that are not top-tier.

Other than avoiding ethanol (nearly impossible for most), not much else can be done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
As for some research I did about using Chevron Techron additive to keep things cleaner in my DI engine? Well, while the product will help in keeping the injectors clean and the combustion chamber itself....it will have no effect on the area that DI engines have had some issues with...and that is the valves.

This is just wrong. You don't direct spray on the valves to make a difference.

I have a new Honda Fit with a direct injection engine. The manual says it is designed to operate on up to 15% ethanol.

I suppose if that is the case, then I'm not overly concerned about the ethanol use as where I am the pumps state that they use UP TO 10% ethanol. As long as Honda and the fuel providers are being honest....I trust that I have nothing to worry about.

Would not matter much anyway as finding non-ethanol fuel here, as well as a Top-Tier , high detergency mix WITHOUT ethanol....is almost impossible. Premium makes no difference in ethanol amounts in my neck of the woods UNLESS I specifically go to an advertised non-ethanol station. Very, very, few are anywhere close by and all but one station is even top-tier.

From the info I have seen, the majority of the conclusions revolve around using top-tier gas for it's higher levels of cleaner detergents and avoid the inexpensive, non-brand name fuels that are not top-tier.

Other than avoiding ethanol (nearly impossible for most), not much else can be done.

Congratulations on your new Fit. I'm a small DI engine owner ( Hyundai and not Honda ) and beyond Top Tier gas I also try to use low NOACK oil. I'm currently using PP Pure Plus but I've also used QSUD and try to stay with SOPUS oil because of the typically lower NOACK. I'm on my first go round of the GTL based version of Platinum so I'll see if there's any noticeable difference. I agree that non-ethanol fuel is hard to find, expensive, and in California at least, almost impossible to find. The vast majority of good fuels you'll find will be probably in the 7-10% ethanol range. It is what it is...

I also try to make it a point to not idle the car for more than two or three minutes at most. This can be hard depending on your commute ( if any ) and your local driving but that seems to be mentioned often as something to try to limit with DI engines along with too many consistent short trips versus something on the order of 15-20 miles that will fully warm up the engine and the DI processes and fuel pump. Whether this is erring on the side of caution or not, I think there are things you can do to minimize or eliminate problems in the future. Personally, I'm encouraged by reports I see of recent ( 2012-forward ) DI cars reaching 100K miles and beyond with no deposit issues, etc. It's my belief that there are original generation designs like the older VW/Audi units and there's a second generation that should have fewer problems. In that sense, I don't consider myself an early adopter but we'll have to see as I'm not even at 50K miles yet.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

Congratulations on your new Fit. I'm a small DI engine owner ( Hyundai and not Honda ) and beyond Top Tier gas I also try to use low NOACK oil. I'm currently using PP Pure Plus but I've also used QSUD and try to stay with SOPUS oil because of the typically lower NOACK. I'm on my first go round of the GTL based version of Platinum so I'll see if there's any noticeable difference. I agree that non-ethanol fuel is hard to find, expensive, and in California at least, almost impossible to find. The vast majority of good fuels you'll find will be probably in the 7-10% ethanol range. It is what it is...

I also try to make it a point to not idle the car for more than two or three minutes at most. This can be hard depending on your commute ( if any ) and your local driving but that seems to be mentioned often as something to try to limit with DI engines along with too many consistent short trips versus something on the order of 15-20 miles that will fully warm up the engine and the DI processes and fuel pump. Whether this is erring on the side of caution or not, I think there are things you can do to minimize or eliminate problems in the future. Personally, I'm encouraged by reports I see of recent ( 2012-forward ) DI cars reaching 100K miles and beyond with no deposit issues, etc. It's my belief that there are original generation designs like the older VW/Audi units and there's a second generation that should have fewer problems. In that sense, I don't consider myself an early adopter but we'll have to see as I'm not even at 50K miles yet.

Thanks....
Good info. I'll keep the short trip and idle thing in mind. I didn't consider that.

I'm curious and looking forward to seeing how well my Honda does in the long term. I expect it to perform well up to and past the 100k range. We'll see though. I've got the CVT to keep an eye on as well.

Hopefully....my trust in Honda has not been misplaced.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Huh? What is "wrong"?

I don't understand what I said that made you think I was considering anything other than the normal Chevron Techron application by putting it in the fuel tank?!!

Note the diagram on a DI engine vs. conventional. The intake valve is bypassed
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/direct-injection-engine1.htm

Last edited:

Huh? What is "wrong"?

I don't understand what I said that made you think I was considering anything other than the normal Chevron Techron application by putting it in the fuel tank?!!

:facepalm: Yes, we all know how DI works. See the next to last post on page 2 of this thread (post #3638064).

Huh? What is "wrong"?

That how stuff works article says there can be a coking or build up problem on the injectors, as they are exposed to much more heat directing injecting into the combustion chamber vs the intake rail.

Huh? What is "wrong"?

:facepalm: Yes, we all know how DI works. See the next to last post on page 2 of this thread (post #3638064).

Facepalm? Huh? LoL....you truly perplex me with the odd replies.

I explain to you that your previous post made no sense when you said that what I had posted was "just wrong"......and now you give me a facepalm...for...what, exactly?

Rudeness is one thing....but not making sense when you do it is something else.

Why do you feel the need to speak to me so nasty like??

Originally Posted By: datech

Huh? What is "wrong"?

That how stuff works article says there can be a coking or build up problem on the injectors, as they are exposed to much more heat directing injecting into the combustion chamber vs the intake rail.

Yes...I did notice that. I think as a purely "it can't hurt anything and might help" maneuver, I'll use a bottle of Techron every six months or so.

I explain to you that your previous post made no sense when you said that what I had posted was "just wrong"......and now you give me a facepalm...for...what, exactly?

What did I say that was nasty? And my previous post made total sense. What did you not follow? I can try to explain it better.

What did I say that was nasty? And my previous post made total sense. What did you not follow? I can try to explain it better.

I followed everything just fine...it's you that I have no clue about.
After my first post you posted this..."This is just wrong. You don't direct spray on the valves to make a difference."
Why? I didn't say anything about spraying any valves. Strange that you would say that...dont you think?

My second post, the one where I was attempting to explain to you what my first post was describing....you give me a FACEPALM? You don't think that is kind of nasty?? Then you gon on about how we all know how a DI engine works....ok...but you were the one having difficulty about grasping my first post....not me.

Whatever man....if this is how you communicate with others....I suggest you realize that words and expressions carry with them the responsibility to understand that when used the way you used them....they are rude.

No big deal....forget it.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
So basically one can learn more about DI from a generic BITOG discussion than this "professionally" written article.

Not only that but probably more factual here.

"Other automakers have been using direct injection to add horsepower—the Cadillac CTS, for example, gained 34 hp—without any sacrifice in fuel economy."

That is false; look up a 2009 CTS which had a 3.6 with and without DI that year. The 3.6 with DI gets a lower gas mileage rating than the non-DI motor. My 2009 has the non-DI motor. A little better MPG and more low end torque for the non-DI but higher peak HP for the DI motor.
Is this per fuel economy. Gov?

Originally Posted By: mclasser
DI engines seem to have more chatter as well. Something to do with the injectors.

Yep. Solenoid injectors are typically used instead of the more expensive piezo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back