Metal, locking mailbox recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're having problems with deadbeats stealing mail from our mailboxes in my neighborhood. I have to work so I'm, unfortunately, not home to beat the excrement out of them and both my German Shepherds are locked up when I'm not home.

I'm going to install a metal, locking mailbox and I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation(s)?

The mailbox doesn't really need to be any larger that a standard mailbox, but if it's a little bigger, that would be O.K.

Suggestions?

Ed

Do you have the kind of box by the road or is it on your house?

If it's by the road, get a metal post style box from Lowes or Home Depot and cement that thing 5 feet down into the ground.

Come to think of it, your local hardware store should have a selection of mailboxes, some with lock & key. Try there.

Put a mail slit in your front door so the mail will go in with the German Shepherds.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Get a PO Box.

I have a PO box, but you can't stop people from sending mail to your house address. Some of the mail will have your name on it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Put a mail slit in your front door so the mail will go in with the German Shepherds.
smile.gif

The post office will not let you convert from a curbside mailbox to a door slot anymore. People in my neighborhood fought them on this and lost.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
smile.gif

The post office will not let you convert from a curbside mailbox to a door slot anymore. People in my neighborhood fought them on this and lost.

California I can understand..

Texas??? WHY???

The post office is a branch of the federal government, not the state government.

Besides, having to get out of the truck to go to someone's front door impacts efficiency. I'd rather keep postal rates low than accommodate folks with slots in their doors.

smile.gif

I like this idea, but if I did this, the mail carrier probably wouldn't deliver.

As it is, we're on the excrement list of UPS and FedEx when they walk up our sidewalk to the front door. One of my Shepherds "gives 'em an earful as she shakes the excrement out of her crushed football and shows 'em her pearly whites.

We've told our friends from the K9 Unit that stop by from time to time that she's putting on a show and they said "Well she's putting on a good show!"

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: Brons2
smile.gif

California I can understand..

Texas??? WHY???

We don't have curb side mail boxes here, all mail boxes are near front door or door/garage slots. Postman parks his vehicle then walks house to house to drop mails/packages into mail boxes.

Check Home Depot / Lowes for any type locking mail box.
The more heavy duty the better.
A slot for mailman, keyed door for homeowner.

If someone is stealing mail, their motive may be Identity Theft.
Thiefs will steal:
* Bank Statements
* Credit Card bills
* Utility bills
* Etc, etc
If you suspect your mail has been stolen, begin checking your 'free' credit report.
If any mysterious accounts have been opened in your name, take appropriate action.

10 years ago, I made it a project to eliminate as much mail as I could from my box (located at Street).

All financial statements and bills are viewed and paid online.
It's a lot safer and I save about $18.00 per year in stamps.

Last edited:
The P.O. might install a steel multi address box for you if enough neighbors agree. No charge for the last one we were involved with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back