Just a Little Nippy Out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
gulf states have crazy rain storms, tropical storms that bring gale force winds and monsoon rains. and the hurricanes -- and the threat of them every year, forever.

Home is where the heart is.

Many years ago I lived in Western Wisconsin when in the middle 70's it was -35 one Sunday morning. Since then I have lived in SC and now have been in TX for 33 years. It is +26 now with that awful white stuff on the ground and the native geniuses are out there playing bumper cars. I'm staying home!

I saw on the news last night that Grand Forks, ND set a new record low for that day of -26F. There were also reports of -54F wind chill up in the NW angle of MN.

I'm ready for spring!

supposed to be -23C tonight in So.NH, was a balmy 2C yesterday.
Glad I drained a litre and amended the sump of 5w30 Supertech w/ a Qt.of 0w20PP in the Nissan Rogue 2 weeks ago. What a brutal breakin this poor new engine is getting!

Originally Posted By: jorton
And folks like HVAC mechanics, utilities electricians, work outside in it. Making emergency no-heat calls 24/7. Matter of life and death for travelers in rural areas at night.

Much respect to ANYONE who chooses to work in these kind of conditions to help out others.

I just looked at this weather model called the NCEP ensemlbe; it's predicting bone chilling cold for the midwest and east through March 6th. Another model called the CFSV2 which is a long range anamoly model that goes out months in advance shows the same trends with the end of March being very below normal temp wise for the eastern half of the US. The NOAA climate prediction center has the same thing.

(click on the 6-10 or 8-14 day outlook for temps - usually quite accurate that far out - longer term they can be hit or miss)
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

Originally Posted By: Turk

I have to drive myself to the Mayo Clinic soon today.

Drive safe. Hoping any tests or procedures come out better than expected.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
It was 25F yesterday. I was doing some work outside with no jacket. Felt warm![/color]

Yesterday our temperature was 25F.
No kidding, I saw someone walking down the sidewalk wearing shorts.

You're kidding or typo ? Or you mean 75F ?

Last edited:
Yes; when you have had negative temperatures for entire month and 8 feet of snow in that period, 25F feels like heat wave! Seriously, one of the kid leaving the Boston airport was wearing shorts.

gulf states have crazy rain storms, tropical storms that bring gale force winds and monsoon rains. and the hurricanes -- and the threat of them every year, forever.

Home is where the heart is.

exactly.as I said, to each his own.

Originally Posted By: yeti

I just heard on the t.v. in the next room about freezing rain in texas canceling flights , and this storm heading east.northern Arizona and new mexico are getting/going to get snow.this is from a Detroit weather forecast.
it's been a crazy winter for many areas, relative to the norm.

It's not unusual at all to have ice storms in Texas. There's no mountains between here and Canada to stop them. Fortunately, they are not as frequent in my area as they are in the DFW area and places further north and west of that.

As for flights getting canceled, planes cannot fly with contaminated airfoils. Freezing rain is more difficult to deal with than snow, thus the cancellations. In a snowstorm you can spray some hot gycol on the wings and take off. Not so much with freezing rain.

Wow..its +44F or +5C here at the moment....supposed to go to +50F or 10C later today.

08.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: yeti

I just heard on the t.v. in the next room about freezing rain in texas canceling flights , and this storm heading east.northern Arizona and new mexico are getting/going to get snow.this is from a Detroit weather forecast.
it's been a crazy winter for many areas, relative to the norm.

It's not unusual at all to have ice storms in Texas. There's no mountains between here and Canada to stop them. Fortunately, they are not as frequent in my area as they are in the DFW area and places further north and west of that.

As for flights getting canceled, planes cannot fly with contaminated airfoils. Freezing rain is more difficult to deal with than snow, thus the cancellations. In a snowstorm you can spray some hot gycol on the wings and take off. Not so much with freezing rain.

it was funny how the (Detroit) weatherman was going on about this -- like it was the end of the world.sometimes, they get a little too excited.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It was 25F yesterday. I was doing some work outside with no jacket. Felt warm![/color]

Legit, I'll shovel snow at 25'F in a sweatshirt if there's no wind and the sun's out. The sun adds (the feeling of) 10-15 degrees this time of year when it's actually up higher in the sky.

It's important to not break a sweat. Refreshing, actually.

I also wear my coat inside when my circadian rhythm demands, working odd hours, so I'm not a super warm blooded freak.
wink.gif

No typo.
25F and he was wearing short pants.

Last edited:
Here in So Cal I'm cursing about today high of only 63F, yes it's sunny but with light wind it feels like 57-58F which is too cold to do anything outdoor without jacket.

For the last 10 years or so we only had 2-3 nights when temperature dropped to around 30-32F, and it was the only topic everybody talk about at every cooler stand all day long.

No typo.
25F and he was wearing short pants.

It happens. There's one guy who comes to the running club that always wears shorts even when it's 20 degrees out. But then again he's a fast runner in the 6-7 minute mile range. We're always joking with him about how there's a sale on pants today or if he forgot to do the laundry.

There's a fair number of fellas (white guys )driving the various types of buses/vans used for public transportation around here that wear shorts (usually with knee highs in winter) year around. Part of it is macho winter denial and part (I think) is to 'tweek' all the Africans and other warm weather non native types.

Drove during the (minor) snowstorm to the airport yesterday morn to catch a plane. First thought getting off th plane in Florida: guess I dont need my long johns... Got to the resort, first thing I did was set the thermostat, 74 is way too warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back