They don't make them like they used to, FL-400S

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintoth...y_back_my_last/

LZniPsW.jpg

Lots of good info on reddit.
wink.gif

What year was this made?

The size seems kind of odd to me only because all the FL400s equivalents are the size of the ones on the *right.. Unless they have gotten smaller too?
21.gif

Last edited:
A bit similar to the reduction the FL-820s underwent a few years back. If memory serves the media was not reduced, but the leaf spring was shortened (doubt that is the case with your filters though--unless there was lots of room at the top of the can).

Too bad they stopped making the FL-2005
frown.gif

Their supplier Purolator didn't feel like making them anymore (so no more 25230's). But that's OK, Wix still makes the 51315 and 51315XP. Fram makes a TG8316, but sadly no XG8316. Fun fact: there's no PSL25230, but there is a Bosch L3425.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
wink.gif

What year was this made?

The size seems kind of odd to me only because all the FL400s equivalents are the size of the ones on the *right.. Unless they have gotten smaller too?
21.gif

The Fram 3600 filters, Purolator 20195, and Wix 51516 are all the size of the older can on the left.

However, the Fram 8316 filters are shorter like the new 400s. Wix's 51315 is still the old, larger size, though. The FL-2005 was the same size as the old 400s. The 2005 was discontinued at the same time the 400s got downsized.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Too bad they stopped making the FL-2005
frown.gif

Their supplier Purolator didn't feel like making them anymore (so no more 25230's). But that's OK, Wix still makes the 51315 and 51315XP. Fram makes a TG8316, but sadly no XG8316. Fun fact: there's no PSL25230, but there is a Bosch L3425.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
wink.gif

What year was this made?

21.gif

The Fram 3600 filters, Purolator 20195, and Wix 51516 are all the size of the older can on the left.

However, the Fram 8316 filters are shorter like the new 400s. Wix's 51315 is still the old, larger size, though. The FL-2005 was the same size as the old 400s. The 2005 was discontinued at the same time the 400s got downsized.

News to me. I thought they were the same size all around.

Can ship more filters per truck/train load when they are a little shorter.
FL400s shrunk along with a few other PN's about 6 years ago.

I have run and cut both. I don't remember exactly when they got smaller but it was quite a while back at this point.

The media area on the new one is indeed reduced somewhat by the shortening of the overall length, but the newer one has what I am quite certain is synthetic blended media much like a Napa Gold. The older one was quite obviously straight paper cellulose by appearance and feel. Number of pleats remained comparable between the two.

Probably why the now out dated Motorcraft efficiency was published at 80% (typical of paper cellulose) but never revised. Independent testing on newer Motorcrafts had them around 93% IIRC, supporting the blended media in the new models IMO.

Being an oil filter nerd I'd rather have had the upgraded media at the older size but I've never had a whit of trouble out of any FL-400s in any configuration.

I've also heard the shorter filters are less likely to be damaged when installing engines in the assembly line, which might have been a large reason for the downsize.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
...the shorter filters are less likely to be damaged

So in this case, it pays to be short
wink.gif

A few years back the PowerFlo and pep boys equivalent (both puro jobber series) were the first to use the shorter can.

I ran these on saturn s-series as an oversize and the shorter one didn't rub on a splash shield, making it absolutely perfect in every way.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

I thought that the part number changed as well. Wasn't it FL-400A before?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

I thought that the part number changed as well. Wasn't it FL-400A before?

Nope says so on the can: FL-400S

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I've also heard the shorter filters are less likely to be damaged when installing engines in the assembly line, which might have been a large reason for the downsize.

But these aren't what goes on in the assembly line.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I have run and cut both. I don't remember exactly when they got smaller but it was quite a while back at this point.

The media area on the new one is indeed reduced somewhat by the shortening of the overall length, but the newer one has what I am quite certain is synthetic blended media much like a Napa Gold. The older one was quite obviously straight paper cellulose by appearance and feel. Number of pleats remained comparable between the two.

Probably why the now out dated Motorcraft efficiency was published at 80% (typical of paper cellulose) but never revised. Independent testing on newer Motorcrafts had them around 93% IIRC, supporting the blended media in the new models IMO.

Being an oil filter nerd I'd rather have had the upgraded media at the older size but I've never had a whit of trouble out of any FL-400s in any configuration.

Here is a pic of one that I cut open over 10 years ago that was the taller can.

kfGlNE.jpg

Not sure if it's synthetic blend or paper. I have more pics and a bunch of other filters as well from back then. I still have the cut open filters in the garage.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back