Car Battery Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Just get the cheapest regular lead - acid battery you can find. They typically last for eight years or more and chances are that you will sell your car before it needs replacement.

*rolls eyes*

You do realize battery longevity is largely dependent on local climate?. THREE years is typical here in Texas, unless the vehicle is garage kept.

Well, I won't roll my eyes, but the three year part is what my experience has been. My cars have always been garaged since 1990. Heat is the killer because it speeds chemical reactions. Vibration doesn't help, either. Placement of the battery and the underhood temperatures it endures are probably the most important. I had a friend who lived in Phoenix for ten years. Three years was stellar there.

Since my 2012 Mazda is quite a bit cooler under the hood (than my 89 Accord) and has the battery enclosed in an insulated box I expect a better lifespan out of it. I also find that if you do have a wet cell battery topping off the fluid level once or twice a year can really help extend its life. I have heard, on this forum, that the OEM Japanese batteries tend to be long-lasting. That was true of the 1975 Toyota Corolla my parents bought. I can't comment for my Accord because it came with a Delco Freedom Battery - same as Chevys - since it was built in Ohio. That was a sealed wet battery that lasted 3.5 years.

Just get the cheapest regular lead - acid battery you can find. They typically last for eight years or more and chances are that you will sell your car before it needs replacement.

*rolls eyes*

You do realize battery longevity is largely dependent on local climate?. THREE years is typical here in Texas, unless the vehicle is garage kept.

If that's the case, it's more reason to buy the cheapest battery.

Three years still sounds awfully short. I've lived in very hot areas and never experienced that short battery life.

If you are experiencing short battery life, I would suggest:

(1) Top of the electrolyte regularly with distilled water.
(2) Avoid deep drains.
(3) Replace any weak alternator or worn alternator belt.
(4) Replace any worn cables and terminals and check for loose, corroded, dirty, or greasy connections.
(5) Get a battery with good warranty coverage and keep your receipts.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Heat is the killer because it speeds chemical reactions.

That's very true with nonrechargeable batteries because the charge will decrease when battery not in use due to chemical reaction, which speeds with temperature.

With rechargeable batteries, I don't know how much it makes a difference for properly maintained and charged batteries. Certainly, overheated batteries can fail quickly. If a charger overheats a NiMH battery for example, its life will decrease. I did have a battery failure at 110 F temperature in Vegas but it was a poorly maintained battery that had gone through deep drains.

I think if you avoid deep drains and replenish the electrolyte level regularly, you should get more than three years even in desert settings, assuming a healthy charging system.

We have family/friends in Florida and they claim the same thing with their car batteries...About 3 years is tops for a battery!

Here in the north, I usually buy the top line battery from an autoparts store(Gold, Platinum, whatever!) and they last 5-7 years up here! But, so did the standard/middle tier battery.

Since our vehicles have more stuff in them now, I've been buying the topline even though, I'm not so sure that I need'em or not!

*rolls eyes*

If that's the case, it's more reason to buy the cheapest battery.

Three years still sounds awfully short. I've lived in very hot areas and never experienced that short battery life.

If you are experiencing short battery life, I would suggest:

(1) Top of the electrolyte regularly with distilled water.
(2) Avoid deep drains.
(3) Replace any weak alternator or worn alternator belt.
(4) Replace any worn cables and terminals and check for loose, corroded, dirty, or greasy connections.
(5) Get a battery with good warranty coverage and keep your receipts.

Not only this, but replace the starter once it starts dragging. I've lost count of how many new batteries I've sold people, installed in their car, just to hear the starter take forever to start the engine.

Also, when you buy a used car, check to see if the battery is under warranty before just buying a new one. It's not that uncommon.

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
Not only this, but replace the starter once it starts dragging. I've lost count of how many new batteries I've sold people, installed in their car, just to hear the starter take forever to start the engine.

Yup, if it takes the engine a long time to start -- due to engine problems or starter problems -- battery life will be substantially reduced. Starter life will be reduced as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back