Friends, Romans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling the need for a tiny dab of rubber-compatible grease for a brake nipple this afternoon, and knowing how near impossible it is to buy stuff like that here in Taiwan, I used my head, or, more specifically, some of its ear wax (well, probably most of it in fact).

I suppose maybe (unsalted) butter would have done, (Last Tango In Paris stylee), or maybe lard (Last Tango in Barnsley stylee) but I didn't have either to..er... hand, and I'd guess earwax is more stable.

Can't claim this as an engineering first, since I vaguely remember Australian aborigines use it, I think as a fire drill lubricant.

This trick won't be available to local Taiwanese (who don't do maintainance anyway) since IIRC SE Asians are genetically deficient in the earwax department, and generally don't produce much.

This implies that if the expats put their heads together, they could corner the local market, if there was one.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
By far the oddest post I've seen on this site.

It's a refreshingly entertaining post compared to one of those repetitive and nauseating posts about this or that boring topic. Like, "I heard on the news snow is coming. These news makes me want to buy a shovel. I think I'll go buy a shovel. What does everyone else think? Should I buy a shovel? It might come in handy. No wait, nobody can tell me what to do. I think I'll go buy a shovel."

hotwheels

You say that like its a bad thing?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Apropos title considering the direction this country is going.

Sorry, don't think I get that.

Which country?

If its drawing an analogy between beleagered US President Barrack Obama and beleagered Roman Emperor Julius Ceasar (sp?) (best, albeit very tentatative guess), then feel free, but I certainly wasn't.

After all, what's that got to do with the price of earwax?

(Infamy!, infamy! They've all got it in for me!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hotwheels

It's a refreshingly entertaining post compared to one of those repetitive and nauseating posts about this or that boring topic. Like, "I heard on the news snow is coming. These news makes me want to buy a shovel. I think I'll go buy a shovel. What does everyone else think? Should I buy a shovel? It might come in handy. No wait, nobody can tell me what to do. I think I'll go buy a shovel."

hotwheels

Far too big, though it fits the conventional wisdom that you should never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear. Also ludicrously optimistic yield-wise.

I used a paperclip, since my hands (especially my fingernails) were rather dirty

Friends ... Romans..... Countrymen ... Lend me your ears...

Earwax products by "get Ducted"

Where beeswax and lip gloss leaves off.

Promotional considerations paid by go get (censored)

A Super Bowl Ad campaign...

Originally Posted By: Ducked

hotwheels

Far too big, though it fits the conventional wisdom that you should never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear. Also ludicrously optimistic yield-wise.

I used a paperclip, since my hands (especially my fingernails) were rather dirty

You need to get a proper earwax removal tool for convenient harvesting. Easily found anywhere in Asia. I predict the Get Ducked product line of earwax products to be internatonally successful! The raw material is available in small quantities, but the supply is inexhaustible. I sense a franchise opportunity! Get Ducked earwax-based lubricants are environmentally friendly and promote good hygiene. I fully endorse the product and hope many happy customers Get Ducked.

hotwheels

hotwheels

You need to get a proper earwax removal tool for convenient harvesting. Easily found anywhere in Asia. I predict the Get Ducked product line of earwax products to be internatonally successful! The raw material is available in small quantities, but the supply is inexhaustible. I sense a franchise opportunity! Get Ducked earwax-based lubricants are environmentally friendly and promote good hygiene. I fully endorse the product and hope many happy customers Get Ducked.

hotwheels

Yeh, seen those little spoon things here. Widely available, as you say, which is slightly surprising, since Asians don't produce much earwax, but perhaps the "dry" type they do produce is more apt to cause obstruction.

They look a bit scary, perforation wise, though.

Which is, of course, why you should only entrust earlube harvesting to a fully trained certified technician using the patented "Duckgun" extractor/applicator.

beleagered US President Barrack Obama

Don't worry about us. Get back to work....

putting cheap electronic junk together so we can buy more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back