Any great JB-Weld sucsess stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JB-Weld has been helping me with some fixes lately and I wondered if any of you have any great ideas for it's use and or success stories.

An excavator in my area fixed a crack in the transmission on his backhoe with JB-weld and it lasted several years till he traded it in and then who knows how long.

I just used it to fix a broken plastic air release plug on a 96 Subaru radiator. I used a bolt (metric thread I got at Lowes) to replace the plug but it still leaked even with the gasket. I then put JB-Weld on the bolt threads and made a bead of it around the bolt head and it is working now. No leaks.

Well, it's been buying me some time on exhaust systems along with that nylon header wrap & clamps.

*I first clean the area

*Apply JBW, let set for about 1 hour

*Then apply the header wrap w/clamp

*Let dry completely for ~15+ hrs.

I have gotten over 6 months and counting on one particular Cat Conv area of my exhaust system which would have cost me a new converter last Sept'14. I'll fix it right in the Spring/Summer.

But, I have to say that, for most things I have use JBW for...It' Has Not Worked for more than 2-3 days!

Last edited:
About 20 years ago I was given a 12' Aluminium boat, it had been stored with salt water sitting at one end that had pitted about two dozen holes in the bow.

I ground out the pits, both sides, and filled with JB Weld, sanded an painted the boat inside and out.

Man, we have had a lot of fun with that boat over the years!

Will be using it again this summer.

Had a wrecked toy corolla with a crushed radiator corner. JBwelded (smothered) the corner, used a trorch for 3 minutes and waited 20-40mins to cure. Was on the road in under an hour. Didn't leak for the week that we had to use it. It was summer and the car was driven like it was stolen.

Tried to patch the cracked plastic expansion tank of the factory radiator on the Olds. Patch didn't hold and it cracked through again.

That being said, I'm going to try and use it for some fixing where there is damage on where the headlight assemblies connect with the body to strengthen the connection.

I use JB every now and then, as a filler, or like a glue, and have found that it doesn't seem to like to stick to plastics very well, even when roughed up. Have the best luck on metal surfaces.

I remembered another one. I have an old small refrigerator in my office. The hinge broke on the top and I JB-Welded it about 25 years ago. The hinge attached to some sheet metal in the front of the fridge. It has worked like new since I fixed it.

Had a cracked plastic radiator on a Honda Accord - maybe a two inch crack that was leaking under pressure. JBW did the trick after some surface prep - held for the year I had the car until sold. Repaired a cracked water temp sending unit bung (aluminum intake manifold) on my SBC race motor - held fine for many years. JBW is great stuff on the right job. Gorilla glue is also amazing on many household jobs.

I used in to fill in screw holes from mud flaps on my old f150 after I realized they were a mistake lol. Dabbed touch up paint on it and you couldnt tell I did it. Held for at least 4 years in michigan

Hello, Mine was a small leak in an oil pan.
It had been damaged and repaired by the original owner.
An imperfection in the repair yielded.
Emptied oil, sanded exterior smooth (you could see the uniform, grey aluminum of the pan and flecks of black in the repair), degreased the area and applied 1.5 square inches of JB.
Worked. Kira

I've used JB Weld for odd jobs in the past & it's worked quite well. It doesn't work well on plastic, but they have another product that did the one time I tried it: JB Weld PlasticWeld Epoxy putty. It looks like a cookie dough tube where you slice off a piece. The inner core is one material, the outer another, and you knead it together with your fingers.

I fixed a broken plastic latch on my mother's car's center console by molding a little hook by hand, waiting for it to cure, then using a file to fine tune the final shape. It's been working great for over a year.

Here is mine.

As a kid, I had a go cart with a 5 horse Briggs engine. I removed the governor, put a bigger aftermarket cam in, etc.

While running around the neighborhood with the engine screaming at 5000 rpm, I felt an intense burning sensation on my back. I pulled over and saw hole in the block. Hot oil had been squirting on my back. I took the engine apart and found that the oil slinger had come apart and got thrown through the side of the block. Everything else was in good condition, so I removed what was left of the oil slinger and JB welded the hole in the block. The engine continued to run fine for years afterwards. JB Weld saved the day.

A guy here said his mechanic used the stuff on his drain plug.

I would have used Permatex myself..
27.gif

About 20 years ago, the following quote was printed on the packages of JB weld:

"The City of Dallas, Texas repaired a cracked Caterpillar engine block with J-B Weld and saved $4,000.00 plus 30 hours down time.

A Kansas farmer said, "I have used J-B Weld for more than five years on my farm equipment and I have decided that it is even better than bailing wire."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back