2002 Merc Cougar--Fix or Scrap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transmission went out on our car this weekend. It will be about $2,800 for a quality rebuild. I'm wondering about whether it's worth it. The car has 105K miles and is in good shape generally. I don't want to scrap it, but $2,800 might be better spent elsewhere. Any opinions?

What else is wrong with it (if anything), or what could "go next"?

Can you afford something better, without the potential of buying someone else's problem (if buying used)?

Are you ready for something different? Will this vehicle continue to meet your needs for the next 2-3 years?

Is $2800 what it will take, or could it be done elsewhere for $2000?

I used to own a 99 Ford Contour, and that is the same platform. So I'm 99% sure it uses the same CD4E. If you aren't on any forums, join www dot contour dot org ... lots of information there.

My first thought would be to swap one from a local boneyard that came with at least a 90 day warranty. I think you could do that for under $1000 but I've been out of that scene for a few years so I may have old info.

Good luck!

$2,800 into a 13 year old car? That's a tough one. I guess if the rest of the car is in really good shape and no other repairs are needed at this time, I'd consider it. I like the idea of a used transmission, but the problem is every transmission in the boneyard at this point is going to be old and worn.

What's the body of the car like?

Also, exactly what's wrong with the transmission? Did you do something stupid like spin the tires in the snow/ice? What emergency situation did you incur over the weekend that made you drive the car when they told everyone to stay off the roads?

The 2.5 Duratec as well as the I4 Zetec are both pretty good engines, and 105k isn't a lot of mileage.

I just used www.fordparts.com and found the whole genuine Ford trans is $2500 MSRP and that includes a 2 year no mileage limit warranty. A local shop should be able to install it for a few hundred. Or haggle with your dealer a bit, they may get it installed for the $2500. IMO if you want to keep the car long term, that's FAR better than going with a Joe Shmoe rebuild as you're guaranteed a solid transmission for 2 years, and if it lasts two years it's PROBABLY a solid trans that will last many more beyond that.

If you don't want to keep it for at least a few more years, then I'd probably go with a used boneyard pull and hope for the best. All depends on your risk adversity and economic situation.

Doing some quick research I found some wrecking yards that have some, one has 55k miles one has 62k miles one was $650 and one was $850. Those will have shipping, but you can look local.

Nothing local used, unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted By: ET16
The transmission went out on our car this weekend. It will be about $2,800 for a quality rebuild. I'm wondering about whether it's worth it. The car has 105K miles and is in good shape generally. I don't want to scrap it, but $2,800 might be better spent elsewhere. Any opinions?

Search http://www.car-part.com/ for a used one.

Regards, JC.

That quote is top dollar. Find the local 'go to guy' for transmission rebuilds. Good reputation wholesale prices. Take it out and deliver it. I had the transmission in an old mini van rebuilt. I found a guy with a great reputation that rebuilt the trans on a Saturday. Master kit about $175? $750 total.

The transmission went out on our car this weekend.

Is it totally shot or slipping or what? Sometimes you can change the fluid and put some additives in to give it a rebirth. I did it on my corvette. It was so bad it wouldn't go into gear. Dropped the pan, changed the filter and fluid and added a quart of Lucas fix. That was 7 years ago and its still going.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The transmission went out on our car this weekend.

Is it totally shot or slipping or what? Sometimes you can change the fluid and put some additives in to give it a rebirth. I did it on my corvette. It was so bad it wouldn't go into gear. Dropped the pan, changed the filter and fluid and added a quart of Lucas fix. That was 7 years ago and its still going.

I checked the fluid, and it's bright red. As far as I understand it's an internal hard part failure.

Exactly how do you know that it's an internal hard part failure?

If it's because a transmission shop told you, I would redirect you to here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/2wid8m/scammed_by_my_local_mechanic_shop/cor6gkt
when i first started out at a chain transmission shop doing R and R. one car came in.. i inspected it. dropped the pan.. it was Clean.. found a loose modulator hose.. replaced it.. refilled the transmission test drove it and it was perfect.. at the saturday meeting the owner said. . every car this week got a rebuilt transmission congrats. he had charged that car owner 760 bucks (1980) for a rebuilt transmission ... i quit on monday when i arrived with a truck to pick up my tool box.

What does $ 2800 get you for a replacement car... not much, and you go in blind as far as service history...

And how much is an average payment on a new car... even a very low $ 250 a month is still $ 3000 a year...

If I liked the car, and had owned and maintained it for many years, I would be tempted to fix it...

Even if the used are shipped to you, it might be worth getting one if you want to keep the car and don't want to pay $2800. Heck, a BRAND NEW one from ford is only $2500.

Originally Posted By: bxd20
The 2.5 Duratec as well as the I4 Zetec are both pretty good engines, and 105k isn't a lot of mileage.

I just used www.fordparts.com and found the whole genuine Ford trans is $2500 MSRP and that includes a 2 year no mileage limit warranty. A local shop should be able to install it for a few hundred.
my book shows 13 hrs labor.most shops are around $100/hr.

I had a 97 contour back in 2007. Paid $250 for it. Dumped it before the wiring got worse, it was starting to shed insulation in random spots. Look around, not the only one.

If you do keep it on the road, I'd have the junkyard install one of their own trannies. That way they'll be compelled to stand behind their work, and their mechanics might not be half bad.

Exactly how do you know that it's an internal hard part failure?

I don't, but I surmise, given this transmission.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back