Getting rid of TW Cable Modem / Wifi Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, TW just started charging me for home Wifi. My $15 internet connection is nearing $40. No good.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? Do they jerk you around about getting rid of their equipment and providing your own?

I have a handful of WRT54G Router/AP devices. I'm sure they will try to tell me that it will be slower than their Wireless N (on my up to 2MBIT internet connection ... )

I pay $75 month for DSL from Fairpoint. I am required to have a phone number I never use. Its slow and drops often. Aside from the high price and slow speed and dropping a lot, its not too bad.

So feel lucky.

I didn't have a problem. They started charging me for the cable modem, so I purchased my own and dropped theirs off at the local TWC office.

You shouldn't have a problem, you have the home wifi which is the router and modem in one correct? If so you will have to buy a modem as well. Just make sure you use their supported modems, the router wont matter esp with only the 2MB connection. When you get your modem just call them tell them you bought your own, u give them the MAC address and they provision it for you really simple.

Also, if you were on a promo price, make sure to sign up for another. you can sign up for promos right after yours is over as well.

No problem at all. As long as the modem you use is on their approved list, you're golden.

i have a self-owned motorola surfboard (4100?) left over from when the cable company was adelphia. TWC bought them and at least doesn't publicly embezzle money to the point of bankruptcy.

That, and $20 for a wifi router from TP-Link that runs DD_WRT open source firmware, and I'm happy.

Yeah, I have the $15/mo plan. They say it's not a promo price. I wonder what the catch is gonna be in a couple years... caps?

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
You shouldn't have a problem, you have the home wifi which is the router and modem in one correct? If so you will have to buy a modem as well. Just make sure you use their supported modems, the router wont matter esp with only the 2MB connection. When you get your modem just call them tell them you bought your own, u give them the MAC address and they provision it for you really simple.

Also, if you were on a promo price, make sure to sign up for another. you can sign up for promos right after yours is over as well.

Yeah. I'm really not a huge fan of the all-in-one unit they gave. Getting VPN traffic through was a real @#$@#$. I'm going to get one of the approved ones. Hopefully they allow it.

I do have a lot of internal traffic but it's all wired.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
2MB? they still have that?

we get 100 MB for $40 now, went up from 30 MB at $30.

TW doesn't offer anything that fast - and certainly not for $40
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
i have a self-owned motorola surfboard (4100?) left over from when the cable company was adelphia. TWC bought them and at least doesn't publicly embezzle money to the point of bankruptcy.

That, and $20 for a wifi router from TP-Link that runs DD_WRT open source firmware, and I'm happy.

Yeah, I have the $15/mo plan. They say it's not a promo price. I wonder what the catch is gonna be in a couple years... caps?

My guess is they'll keep it. It's not a promo, but it's super slow. As contents gets more internet intensive, people will upgrade from it.

I cut the cable sometime ago and have only Internet service from my ISP. Bought the modem over EBay and had no trouble taking theirs back.

Put up an indoor TV antenna and get plenty of channels and content + have a Roku 3 with more content than you can shake a stick at. Am only paying for Hulu + @ $7.99 a month total now for TV service and pay the ISP $52.00 for Internet service.

get a motorola 6121 or 6141

you might be able to promo a faster speed for your current price.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I cut the cable sometime ago and have only Internet service from my ISP. Bought the modem over EBay and had no trouble taking theirs back.

Put up an indoor TV antenna and get plenty of channels and content + have a Roku 3 with more content than you can shake a stick at. Am only paying for Hulu + @ $7.99 a month total now for TV service and pay the ISP $52.00 for Internet service.

Over the air was pretty nice for about a month. I rearranged the living room last night and now I only get one NBC channel.

It seems they are always looking for ways to trick their customers into paying higher bills.

What kind of upload speed do you get with the $15/month TW plan?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
It seems they are always looking for ways to trick their customers into paying higher bills.

Bare minimum uploads on all TW plans is 1mb. I pay about $40 for 15d/1u including modem rental and taxes.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

It took 3 hours to upload a 300MB video to youtube ...

Originally Posted By: Miller88

That's painful. It calculates to about 0.22 Mbps.

Sometimes even if you plug in a generic DOCSIS modem they'll recognize the foreign MAC address and the web browser will redirect you to an account page where you can fix it.

We got a $22 Ubee modem off Amazon about a year ago for our 15/1 connection. TWC wanted to charge an additional $8 for modem rental over what EarthLink is charging us. It works, and has more than paid for itself.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
2MB? they still have that?
I have 1mb for 27.00 from dsl extreme! Getting rid of them in 2 months,after their 2nd year contract is up.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Miller88

That's painful. It calculates to about 0.22 Mbps.

That's actually pretty quick. Usually upload is around 100kbps for me.

It's awfully slow. I'm thinking I may spring for a better package when I get my own cable modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back