1999 Expedition 5.4L Eddie Bauer running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
All poster and vehicle animosity aside....
Today, it gets the knock, the rattle, and the tire/stud... fixed.
(The Honda too, actually. 2 vehicles, 2 shops, 2 "hook-ups.")
$450 deal is a go.

No other updates, as of yet.

All good? ....

This is as it sits, awaiting the work. (Tire is front passenger this time)

3cef7c6fc542e751139a52249e871671.jpg

Best of luck with it.
Not going to give you a long speech but thoughtfully evaluate and prioritize where you spend your money on it.
Get the front end fixed and at least some decent used tires on it, needs to be the next step.
You don't need hydrocarbons and carcinogens or miracles in a can for this thing, you need parts and someone with a decent skill set to install them.
Again, all the best with it.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, No high-jack here, just a branch-off question.

Would the same truck ('99 Expedition) with the 4.6L be GENERALLY more desirable? Kira

I bet it would be pretty underpowered.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Would the same truck ('99 Expedition) with the 4.6L be GENERALLY more desirable? Kira

The 5.4L was so much nicer than the 4.6L for this tank.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
This is as it sits, awaiting the work. (Tire is front passenger this time)

3cef7c6fc542e751139a52249e871671.jpg

Good thing you pointed out what was going on in this picture. For a minute I thought you finally wised up and were throwing that junker out with the rest of the garbage that is piled up.

Pop - I am not certain that it's the Expedition that is the source of contention...I think we are all a little frustrated with this ratio:

Things MP says he will do.

Things MP actually does.

In his case, very little of what he says he will do actually happens. If he did what he said he would do (e.g. The Expedition was going to be fixed last Monday), then we would feel like the threads show some hope of progress...

did you forget to take your xanax again this morning OP?

lock this thread tight.

Last edited:
TechnoLoGs/MalfunctionProne, sell all your cars, and use public transport until you can afford a safe, reliable, low cost vehicle.

I did some math, a 72 month loan with a 10% rate, on a $13000 note (I am assuming Kia Rio, Mazda2, Ford Focus type vehicle) with a full warranty, etc. is going to be around $240-250/month. Gas is going to be 1/4 of what you're spending on these POS guzzlers.

How much are you spending on fuel, and repairs?

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Not really. Our '97 with the 4.6 has come back to us. The kids used it for boat towing, etc. The 5.4 may be better, but the 4.6 seems to do fine. Got about 18 around town when we had it last. We've only used it once or twice since getting it back.

Expy's are really nice vehicles; they are certainly not garbage.

Originally Posted By: thr_wedge
I did some math, a 72 month loan with a 10% rate, on a $13000 note (I am assuming Kia Rio, Mazda2, Ford Focus type vehicle) with a full warranty, etc. is going to be around $240-250/month. Gas is going to be 1/4 of what you're spending on these POS guzzlers.

Good luck.

He's going to need it to get any lending institution on this planet to qualify him for a car loan.

Not that he would treat a brand new car any better than he does all these other vehicles, however. It would just take him slightly longer to fully destroy it.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: thr_wedge

Good luck.

He's going to need it to get any lending institution on this planet to qualify him for a car loan.

Not that he would treat a brand new car any better than he does all these other vehicles, however. It would just take him slightly longer to fully destroy it.

BC.

Sigh...I know you're right...

There are buy here, pay here type places, interest rates are high, but it is a way to get into a nicer vehicle (though not new), that I think is probably cheaper than spending $6000+ a year in car & car repairs costs continually getting junkers.

I don't know that OP has ever started with a decent vehicle though...I had a friend 15-20 years ago, he ALWAYS had a POS, he finally got a late model vehicle and stopped destroying them trying to "fix" things, since the car wasn't already on the ragged edge and his mechanical ability left some to be desired.

My point is that I have at least a shred of faith in the OP. Now I'm not going to loan him money, but if he needs some advice feel free to PM me.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Pop - I am not certain that it's the Expedition that is the source of contention...I think we are all a little frustrated with this ratio:

Things MP says he will do.

Things MP actually does.

In his case, very little of what he says he will do actually happens. If he did what he said he would do (e.g. The Expedition was going to be fixed last Monday), then we would feel like the threads show some hope of progress...

Agreed. I'm surprised that he hasn't been back posting videos of himself singing, pictures of his workplace, pictures of him, etc. If he would focus and do what needs to be done then all these threads he starts wouldn't end up 15 or 20 pages long with only 2 pages of actual information. Of course, the other thread was locked and he immediately started a new one on the same subject.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'm surprised that he hasn't been back posting videos of himself singing, pictures of his workplace, pictures of him, etc.

That's because he's been given a timeout again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back