0-W20 to 5-W30 swtich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any reason why I can't go to 5W30 after my 2012 Camry 4cyl is out of warranty? I am not a true believer yet in the 10K between oil changes and do mine at 5K so the price for the 0W20 oil might not be worth it unless the change will harm my 4 cylinder. I already use 5W30 full synthetic in my 2008 4cyl Highlander.

Do you have cold start piston slap noise which is common for this gen Camry? If you do, switching to 5w30 will eliminate this annoying noise. I switched my 2015 LE and have no issues to report while the piston slap noise is gone.

countless UOA on camrys with 0w20 and no wear problems including mine which was 11,800 miles on my last one. I used 0w30 once but it used more oil so I went back to 0w20

Originally Posted By: dkrivosheyev
Do you have cold start piston slap noise which is common for this gen Camry? If you do, switching to 5w30 will eliminate this annoying noise. I switched my 2015 LE and have no issues to report while the piston slap noise is gone.

Come to think of it, even though I live in FL the motor is kinda noisy on startup! Just didn't recall seeing 5w30 as an option in my manual and I was using up my free oil changes. Car has 13K

Originally Posted By: Trav
No problem whatsoever. 5w30 is spec for this engine in the rest of the world.

Interesting! looking for that info. I also have some slap at start up.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

http://en.calameo.com/read/003785165f702b64c1cc1

See page 271. This is owners manual for 2015 Camry sold in Russia. It is in Russian, but oil specs are in English.

Depending on the engine, you should be ok with a 0W40 weight.

I was thinking of running 0W20 in my engine that specs out for 5W30, but I was advised against it. I doubt your engine or my engine would notice any difference going with a slightly different weight.

Last edited:
I recall in someone's posts that in Russia the manual even most 10W-30 as an 'everyday oil'. So I seems the 20W is solely for fuel economy rant her than 'smaller oil passages' or some actual engineering reason.

See page 271. This is owners manual for 2015 Camry sold in Russia. It is in Russian, but oil specs are in English.

thanks very interesting!!

Says you can use 20W50 above -7C.

I wonder if 0W20 is readily available in Russia? I have a friend who goes to Russia several times a year on business trips. I will ask him to check out the local AutoCzar next time he goes!

Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad
I wonder if 0W20 is readily available in Russia? I have a friend who goes to Russia several times a year on business trips. I will ask him to check out the local AutoCzar next time he goes!

I am from Russia and 0w20 is available there. I am sure the engine made for Russian Camry is the same so 5w30 and even 10w30 is fine to use in the US. It makes the engine quieter and I could not notice any reduction in fuel economy

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
What do you guys think of using an xW-30 weight in hot weather or hit cross country summer driving? Useful?

If your engine calls for a 0-5-20 oil why would you do that?

No need to wait for the warranty to expire. Feel free to use that 5w30 in your Camry for its 5k intervals. Stick with the latest spec SN/GF5 oil.

If you feel that your engine was designed specifically for the 20 weight oils, and the only reason that there's no choice in your manual is because they are the optimum in every circumstance, then why would you ?

If you feel that Toyota have dumbed it down to a single recommendation, lower than (typically) the rest of the world, for political reasons, and on the law of probabilities won't cause you immediate issues, then explore what they say in other locales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back