Let's Talk Holsters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galco, Bianchi/Safariland (or some other brand)?

Belt, Paddle, Ankle, or Shoulder?

My pistol would be a Sig P226 & P229, Walther P99AS, or an FNX9. Please feel free to discuss any other pistols as well.

What is your favorite brand, type, and why? I have used both Galco and Bianchi through the years (belt holsters), but have not purchased one in forever and am curious to know what all of you are using these days for concealed carry or just to carry (not necessarily for self-defense).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I really want a S&W .380 with an ankle holster to wear in my office. Our employee manual says "unauthorized weapons" are not allowed. I interpret that as if I have a CCP then it's authorized by the Sherrif in my county.

I am really looking for suggestions on a comfortable ankle holster that can be 100% concealed under some slacks.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Our employee manual says "unauthorized weapons" are not allowed. I interpret that as if I have a CCP then it's authorized by the Sherrif in my county.

You may want to have an official interpretation of that by HR in your company. You would not want to lose your job over "wording".

Alien Gear Holsters seem like a good value and have gotten great reviews. I have heard great things about N82 as well.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Our employee manual says "unauthorized weapons" are not allowed. I interpret that as if I have a CCP then it's authorized by the Sherrif in my county.

You may want to have an official interpretation of that by HR in your company. You would not want to lose your job over "wording".

I was thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
El Patron .45LC 5.5", El Paso Cheyenne Rig.

open carry

Originally Posted By: tdpark
Alien Gear Holsters seem like a good value and have gotten great reviews.

They definitely seem to be a great value for the cost. I watched the video below which gave a pretty good review of them. Thanks for the information.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I have a Galco super tuck and i carry an SR9C in it. I'm very happy so far.

This one?

actually it's This one

It's very affordable, but surprisingly comfortable.

My apologies as it isn't a "SUPER" but a "TUCK-N-GO".

Last edited:
Most companies that use the term no unauthorized weapons are referring to company policy. They don't care about your CCL permit. They want no weapons on company property. As stated earlier, check with HR. Never assume anything.

I have too many holsters, its like women and purses. Mostly use a Bianchi 100 or Don Hume 715 for IWB. Fobus paddle or Desantis speed scabbard for belt carry.

For professional non-retentive situation carry I like Mitch Rosen's leather the best. My duty rig is Safariland and has been in service for 15years. Never an issue and remains clean and presentable. The "tactical" plastic holsters are very functional and at a easy on the wallet price point.

Will you carry behind your back? Many do find it comfortable, but strongly consider the damage done in a fall. Food for thought is all.

Last edited:
I prefer to carry IWB appendix and have been very happy with my Comp-Tac. It makes carrying my P30 very comfortably. Sign up for their emails and they have periodic sales.

Most people seem to carry at about 4:00 on their hip. I'm faster appendix carry but only carry certain guns that way. I don't feel comfortable reholstering a Glock/M&P/PPQ/VP9 pointed at my femoral. That's why I like and train with TDA guns; P30, CZ75, P229 etc.

Forget about ankle carry for your full-size pistols. I can do it with a J-frame or CM9 but nothing bigger. Shoulder has some merit if you drive a lot. Paddles are nice if you need to clip in and out during the day. Comp-Tac and Crossbreed and the other IWB holsters are tuckable in that you can tuck your shirt over the holster. This is how Air Marshalls carry since it takes a real keen eye to see a holster.

I too have tried many and don't like all-leather for retention and draw, don't like all Kydex for comfort so I settled on the hybrids. Dont forget a good belt. Duluth Trading's Lifetime belt is a good start.

I've been tinkering with making my own and have had some success since Kydex is so easy to work with.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Most companies that use the term no unauthorized weapons are referring to company policy. They don't care about your CCL permit. They want no weapons on company property. As stated earlier, check with HR. Never assume anything.

This is exactly right. If you are discovered in a company building on premises with a firearm expect to be terminated almost immediately with no severance or benefits. In most cases the law does protect you from termination if the firearm is in parking lot in your car.

Businesses have zero tolerance for firearms on premises even with valid CC....not saying I agree with it because I don't, but that is how it is right now.

Last edited:
As far as HR and weapons policy at work, I could give less than 2 snits. As long as it isn't illegal to carry at work (cork at a court house, prison, etc), I will be carrying at work, period. I'd rather be fired and alive than dead. Your mileage may vary.

I really want a S&W .380 with an ankle holster to wear in my office. Our employee manual says "unauthorized weapons" are not allowed. I interpret that as if I have a CCP then it's authorized by the Sherrif in my county.

I am really looking for suggestions on a comfortable ankle holster that can be 100% concealed under some slacks.

Ankle holster is not what you want. The holsters are bulky and you will be constantly checking your pants leg, but it will inevitably ride up and you will be busted.

You'll want pocket carry or deep concealment offered by a smart carry. Or a briefcase or discreet pouch that you can keep near your desk/work station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back