Insane OEM part pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Oh well, I paid for it and the new windshield washer nozzle is in. One nozzle was broken years ago but I had managed to JBweld it and it lasted until this winter. While cleaning the snow, it broke again. This time I decided to replace it and looked at ebay/amazon. Few people had problem in fitting of the nozzle, so I visited the local Toyota dealer.

For the single nozzle I paid $26 :-( We are talking about the black unheated plastic part with the dimension of 1/8 by 1/8 inch. What a markup!!

Wow; one unheated washer nozzle for my 318ti runs $4-$10, depending on the vendor. The heated nozzle(including the heating element and harness ) for my son's X3 is $33 and $30 for my wife's E90. For the MS3: $12, the TJ: $17.

I went to mopar.com, but it only goes back to 2001, and when I tried that, just took me to another vehicle selection screen, which then took me back to the splash screen. I've used it before so I can only hope it is a transient problem.

So I then tried moparoverstock.com and found this:

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/showA...;ukey_make=1095

Once you get past the fact they call a "brake line" a "tube", you'll see normal prices. Not discounting his experience. Parts counter guys do NOT always get it right.

ebay/amazon was about $12 for the pair but some reviews said it did not fit the American built Camry. I understand that it was NOT the dealer who had marked up the part. Since the dealer had it in stock and was not charging more than the list price (actually he did give me a token discount) and knowing that the part will fit perfectly, the decision to fork the money was the right one. The car had been buried in the snow for last four weeks and I just wanted to make sure that before putting it back on the road, I would have the part ready in the hand.

I glued the old one back again but this time I was not careful enough. The epoxy must have migrated in the water channel. There is a 90 degree bend inside, so no easy way to unclog it anymore.

My dad was given an absurdly high price for washer jets on his Pontiac G6. We decided to buy some ugly chrome ones from Pep Boys.

They don't spray water in a good pattern, but the car is worth so little, that it doesn't need to be in perfect condition.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I just bought a bunch of brake lines for my 01 Dakota. Prices were in the usual $20-$30 range.

Ppobably the same front brake lines I replaced on a 2000 Dakota as well, als bought for cheao at the dealer, I was shocked at how cheap they were.

I went to a Ford dealership to get a thermostat about 20 years ago. They wanted $25 and when I took it out of the Motorcraft box, the thermostat said Stant. I passed and went to an auto parts store and bought a Stant thermostat, the exact same thing for $4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back