Do you ever buy tools "just because"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, everything I buy gets used at least once. My fiancee is pretty angry about the 12 ton shop press that "appeared" in the garage though...

Not directly, no.

I've been to a few auctions that I've purchased a toolbox full of tools because there were a couple items in there that I needed. I usually give away the rest; on occasion I've kept extra wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers as spares.

I wouldn't go out and buy something new "just because". However, if there is a tool that I need and I can justify the cost I'll certainly purchase it.

When I was single and independently wealthy, YES!
Nowadays... I buy them as needed.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Anything that I find that I have to borrow from the neighbor, I then go out and buy.

Or coworker...
I had a twice borrow rule. If I borrowed a tool twice, there would not be a 3rd time.

Originally Posted By: Traction
\Because I learned what they can see at work, I just bought a $2000 Fluke infrared thermal imaging camera, that is a cheaper one. \

Golly, I should offer your some $$ to come over here by LaCrosse-ish and show me where my house is leaking heat worst.

Yup, duplicates come in handy.

I keep some "beater" wrenches for brake line work as I hate getting brake fluid on the good set. I just got a metric set of long pattern wrenches "just because" I spent two seconds reading "Hot Deals" on garagejournal. And they're awesome.

Same with vise grips and welding, jeez, I could use a drawer full.

I'm guilty. If I can justify that I can use a tool at some future time, I'll buy it. I won't buy "pricy" tools ($30+ or more) though unless I have a use for them fairly immediately. HF is a good source for many tools that may only be used once. For me, Amazon is a good source too. Craftsman is my usual go to tool source for price and durability. Shade tree mechanics like myself don't need the "tool truck" brands.

It's the discontinued new-old-stock that I'm a sucker for. There's a lot of excellent tools out there that the manufacturers have discontinued for no apparent reason.

I have got way more tools than my mechanic who usually fixes my car :) The guy has cheapo Walmart Stanley set to make his living.

I buy a lot of things "just because."
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I don't have to wait until I absolutely need it to buy a tool. I just have to perceive a future need.

Yeah, I do the same. If I don't immediately need it, but am fairly certain I'll buy one eventually, I'll take the time to do a little research to find the one I want, then if it comes around at a good price, I'd pick it up.

This way, I actually end up spending more on a better tool (hopefully at a decent price while not in a rush), but in my mind, I'd rather buy the better one once than buy a piece of junk, then still buy the better one.

But if I'm in the middle of a project, I buy what's cheap and available at the time...

I don't buy duplicate tools or tools I know I'll never use. If I need a tool to do a certain job on my cars, I'll buy it. Even if I think I'll only use it once. Every tool I bought where I thought I would only use once, I've ended up using over and over. If there's a tool I know I'll probably need in the future, I'll buy it. If there's a tool that would've made a job I just finished much easier, I'll buy it so I have it the next time I need to do that job again. Those are pretty much the only times I buy tools.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I have got way more tools than my mechanic who usually fixes my car :) The guy has cheapo Walmart Stanley set to make his living.

crazy2.gif
Tools dont make the mechanic but bad tools can make a good one work a lot harder than he has to. I have thrown better than that away.

This guy has been on/off the wagon few times and must have ended up pawning his SnapOn set during one of that period.

Let me ask you guys another question; How many of you guys buy parts before they are broken? And once you receive them, you just hold on to them until you are forced to replace them rather than swapping them as soon as you get it? I hate myself for doing that but I rationalize by thinking that when it does break (based upon other people's experience) I would much rather have the new part ready to go. I still think if the part is still not completely broken, why try to replace it and cause more problems? When the old part breaks, well then I have no choice but to take on the job and fix it. Once I fix it, I then wonder myself as to why was I so scared of tackling it before? It was pretty straight forward.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Let me ask you guys another question; How many of you guys buy parts before they are broken?

Guilty....to some degree.
My family has three Jeeps with the 4.0/six cylinder. All of them take the same alternator and the same starter. I just got done replacing an alternator on one of my Jeeps from one that I had on hand. I keep a few parts on hand (besides oil and filters) just because the nearest auto parts store is over a half an hour away and shipping from RockAuto is a minimum of two days or three days.
Now I'll take this one apart and see if it is fixable or if I need to order a new one. If it just needs new brushes/bearings, then I'll save some dough instead of having to buy a complete replacement. Sometimes it's well worth it to buy an item at my convenience instead of buying one when I absolutely have to have one.

I will buy tools just because, but I try to be honest with myself. If I don't see a future need for a tool, then I skip the purchase. Example: My stud extractor set I bought, I did not use for 5 years after I bought it, but when I needed it, it was sure nice I had it when I needed it. I will occasionally upgrade, but for the most part, I see whether the money is better put in my 401K or will I save money down the line by having a given tool.
The other day, I was thinking of buying those cool anodized wheel protecting lug nut sockets and passed. Electrical tape or heat shrink has served me well.

Sometimes I buy pliers "Just because"

Every year, car companies find new ways to make car parts that are awkward and difficult to reach. Having a huge variety of pliers makes those tasks less tedious.

Everybody will encounter bolts that are rusted in place, or are rounded off. This is another reason for having many pliers.

It isn't just cars that benefit from a large variety of pliers, household plumbing repairs are also made easier with a wide variety of pliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back