Free oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup people? A neighbor of mine just recently moved and gave me some fairly new, unopened oil. Dino juice in 15w-40 and some 20w-50. I was thinking about using it in my Craftsman push-mower with a B/S 7.0 HP engine. After reading over several threads, it sounds like some people are ok with running 15w-40 in a lawnmower engine, but not the 20w-50.

Hope I'm not being "one of those guys" asking a question that's been asked a million times. Just would like more info than I could get from searching. It's free oil...and if it's cool...I'll use it. Thanks.

Yes i doubt the 7 HP engine has full pressure lubrication, you will probably not want to use the 20w50 here, but the 15w40 should be just fine.

You can always recycle the 20w50 if it's just a small amount or can't find a use for it.

I'd say just the opposite.
I'd use either oil in a splash lubed mill but not in one with an oil pump.
OTOH, given the temperatures at which a lawnmower is used, either oil would likely be fine in the engine.
I used a bunch of clerance Maxlife 20W-50 in one of my old Tecumsehs with no issues.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes i doubt the 7 HP engine has full pressure lubrication, you will probably not want to use the 20w50 here, but the 15w40 should be just fine.

You can always recycle the 20w50 if it's just a small amount or can't find a use for it.

Yeah, it's a B/S 700 series Platinum 190cc...about 6 years old. Oh, and it's only operated in warm to hot conditions. Getting rid of the oil is not a problem. just thought...hey, it's free.

Thanks fellas. I'll use the 15/40 and give the 20/50 to an aircolled VW friend of mine.

That air cooled engine does not care what kind of oil it gets as long as it gets some oil. Use it in that engine. No worries.

I have been using 20/50 in my mowers for years now. It will be fine, don't pitch them.

Ha, ha....well this was the same kind of info I got when I searched previous threads. Some say yes, some say no.

Mix both weights in a jug and use it up. If you're really worried, thin it up with some store brand 5w20.

Whats with all the over thinking of splash lubed engines lately?

These engines aren't that picky. So long as the oil isn't the consistency of molasses when cold its going to splash.

I can't say Ive ever heard of one these things wearing out or locking up because someone used to heavy of oil.

All the sky is falling stuff is hilarious in this thread. 20W50 used to be a super popular grade. It has been run in hundreds of thousands of mowers over the years without narry a problem.

Feel free to use it in your mowers in the summer. You will absolutely 100%, be fine.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
The mower isn't going to care as long as it has oil in it. I have run 20w50 in mowers lots of times.
X 2 clean the air filter once in awhile too.
grin2.gif

"Clean the air filter once in awhile too."

I'd agree that air filtration is probably the most important part of maintenance for most OPE. In the summer and fall, these are clogged quickly and need to be cleaned two to three times as often as the oil needs changing.

And once or twice per year, hit the fins on the engine with some compressed air or at least a screwdriver to clean all the leaves, mouse nests, mud and dried grass out of there. Let the fins do their job and cool the engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back