straight grade oil in summer heat okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd use it only in OPE, and even there I prefer synthetics. You know, Home Depot sells Formula Shell multi-grades for $2.99 a quart everyday, so why use straight weights for the same price?

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll be thicker than needed at cold startup, even during summer. OK for a lawnmower maybe.

$3/qt for mineral oil isn't a great deal by any stretch.

I shook a bottle of sae30 and 10w30, and they seemed like the same thickness, room temp, scientific I know:)

Shear stability is apparently much better.

More likely to be an issue in motorcycles, which is mostly where I use them (Straight 40W, CPC)

Will be just fine in the heat of summer but not what you want to be using if temps dip below 40 or so.

If you live in a place like I do when it is 90+ degrees 11 months out of the year, straight weights are fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I found a deal on them.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
I shook a bottle of sae30 and 10w30, and they seemed like the same thickness, room temp, scientific I know:)

Formula Shell SAE 30 will be about twice as viscous as 5w-30 at room temp.

Yes a typical SAE 30 motor will have an estimate KV40 @ 100 CST while a typical 10w30 conventional oil will have a KV40 @ 60 CST, so almost twice as thick on the SAE 30.

If you want to run a good oil in the summer look for a 10w30 synthetic which will have all the advantages of a straight grade oil with lack of VII but will flow much better on cold start even in the summmer.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Formula Shell SAE 30 will be about twice as viscous as 5w-30 at room temp.

And Permatex 81950 assembly lube will be twice as viscous as SAE 30 at room temp.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes a typical SAE 30 motor will have an estimate KV40 @ 100 CST while a typical 10w30 conventional oil will have a KV40 @ 60 CST, so almost twice as thick on the SAE 30.

40C isn't what I'd consider room temperature.
smile.gif
More like 20-25C. But yeah...

smile.gif

That 40C figure only makes the room temp comparison even worse and hammers your point in even further i'd say Pete!

Could you?
Of course.
Should you?
Why?
Any modern multi-grade would be better at starting temperatures even when those temperatures are pretty warm.
You'd do no harm using a 30W in summer weather.
This was the oil of choice for summer use for many years way back when.
There are better choices now, starting with 10W-30.
You want to use a single grade?
Go ahead. It won't hurt anything, but it won't offer any advantages either.

smile.gif

That 40C figure only makes the room temp comparison even worse and hammers your point in even further i'd say Pete!

Yes, sir.

$3 per quart a good deal? Walmart's everyday price on Quaker State if you buy a 5 quart jug is $2.89 per quart.

I'd run it if I had it, but wouldn't go out of my way to obtain it...as mentioned before a 10W30 owuld be more advantageous.

the SAE30 will have an HTHS around the 3.5 mark (or higher), as that's the "natural" HTHS for an SAE 30.

If your cars are specced around ILSAC energy conserving, that's 10%+ higher viscosity in the bearings, and a drain on your fuel tank and wallet.

(If you want to go straight in an ILSAC specced vehicle, a 20W20 is closer to the mark)...but I'd only do it for giggles.

In this day and age there is no reason to. Any modern 10W-30 will be as shear stable as you could expect or need.

I can't wait for spring when I'm going to fill my 5W/10W-30 app with Delo's new 15W-30. Will run all summer and UOA in the fall. I have to buy two gallons so the rest will go in my OPE, replacing T5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back