Castrol Power RS V-twin 4T Oil - Harley???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready for spring. I will soon be changing the oil in my 2013 Harley Roadglide. Thinking of trying some 20W-50 Castrol Power RS V-twin 4T synthetic oil. Anybody running this? Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!

You don't have to run a mc specific oil in your engine, lots of people run rotella 15w40, m1 15w50, various 20w50s with no problems. I have napa 15w50 synthetic in mine now that I bought on sale. Have a bunch of vr1 20w50 synthetic too that I will run later.
Im sure that oil will work just fine.

Run VR1 Valvoline in your Twin Cam. That and the Kendall GT1 20w50 return STELLAR results in used oil analysis for that engine platform. And they are inexpensive. I can get the Kendall locally for under 4 bucks a quart.

a buddy has been using the Castrol 4T in his Harley Dyna for years. I also use it in my Intruder. My Buell like Valvoline VR1, but not Mobil 1.

The RS stands for reduced [clutch] slippage, its meant more for shared sump unit design engines and formulated with an emphasis on frictional characteristics for the wet clutch. If I had a pre-unit twin as you do I'd go the route Robenstein or Roadkingnc suggested for the engine.

The following oils turn in great UOAs.

Conventional 20/50 HD 360

Any Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil or VR1. (Conventional or syn)

Amsoil 20/50

(im sure there are others)

I am keeping a log and oil receipts in case of warranty work on my 14 Road King.
I did my first oil change at 1000 miles with conventional HD360 20/50. Its a proven good oil in the UOAs and you will be splitting hairs to beat it..

Im trying to stay with what is oil required in the owners manual in case of engine failure I will have receipts and records. Being I am in a warmer climate I will always use 20/50 though HD says you can also use a 15/40/ 10/40 but they are a lessor choice. I always use 20/50 in my bikes, at times 15/40 in the winter..

The conventional HD 360 20/50 is a rock solid oil and proven time and again.

IF you want to use a synthetic (and concerned about staying in Harleys guidelines) I would chose Amsoil ARO Synthetic 20/50 oil as it meets the Harley condition for the heavy duty diesel rating of CH-4 and better, so with Amsoil showing this oil is rated API CI-4 Plus, CH-4 you know you are covered as using an HD recommended oil grade. its the only 20/50 oil I know with that diesel rating.

If your not concerned with having that recommended diesel rating then the VR1 is one heck of an oil to beat for the price. I would take it or even regular Valvoline motorcycle oil over the Castrol any day, that goes for conventional or syn.

This is the Amsoil I am talking about, I just wish it was easier to buy ... Amsoil 20/50 Diesel Rated Syn

Last edited:
Harley does not say their oil is required, only " recommended". If it was required, they would have to give it to you free.Of course they recommend it, they sell it,Just like everything else they sell. When you look at the additive package of Harley oil, it's not hard to find an oil with a additive package that will exceed it. It's not bad oil, just overpriced.Some goes for Amsoil. You would have to really be in the middle of nowhere to not be able to find 20/50 wt oil. They even sell it at my local supermarket, so I wouldn't stress over it.,,

Tell me something that Harley or any other vehicle mfgr sells that isn't 'over priced'. Like all vehicle mfgs they sell 'genuine' this and 'genuine' that. They want your parts and service business. A friend of mine bought a new EG screaming eagle CVO Rushmore last August. The MSRP on his bike was over $40,000. He uses Harley lubricants in it and is as happy as a clam. Am I going to tell him they're are better choices? Unless he asks, not in this lifetime.

Last edited:
My only point to my other post (above) in this thread is Harley STATES to use a Diesel rated oil of CH-4 or better if not using their HD 360 oil.

SO if you are to stay in the guidelines of what is recommended Amsoil does sell a 20/50 CH4, CI4 and CJ4 20/50 oil. This meets Harleys recommended oil.
I do not know anyone else who does in a 20/50 and would be thrilled if someone can post other oils that meet that classification. You can buy any number of 15/40 rated CH4 or better but in my climate there is no question I want the 20/50.

This is ONLY for anyone who wants to use the oil rating for EXACTLY what Harley recommends. I am SURE any 20/50 quality oil including the motorcycle oils are fine but if you want to be technical I have not found any other then Amsoil with a CH4 or better classification that Harley requires in the owners manual. Being my bike is under warranty and I save the oil receipts in case of engine trouble my receipts will read I am using the oil classification that they state to use.

Does it matter? Most likely not, but Im a perfectionist ... ha ha. I also assume HD knows what is best for their engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
ugh... I hit reply on my own post and for some reason I cant delete this one.

"Two minutes. You feel shame, then you get free..."

John.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
My only point to my other post (above) in this thread is Harley STATES to use a Diesel rated oil of CH-4 or better if not using their HD 360 oil.

SO if you are to stay in the guidelines of what is recommended Amsoil does sell a 20/50 CH4, CI4 and CJ4 20/50 oil. This meets Harleys recommended oil.
I do not know anyone else who does in a 20/50 and would be thrilled if someone can post other oils that meet that classification. You can buy any number of 15/40 rated CH4 or better but in my climate there is no question I want the 20/50.

This is ONLY for anyone who wants to use the oil rating for EXACTLY what Harley recommends. I am SURE any 20/50 quality oil including the motorcycle oils are fine but if you want to be technical I have not found any other then Amsoil with a CH4 or better classification that Harley requires in the owners manual. Being my bike is under warranty and I save the oil receipts in case of engine trouble my receipts will read I am using the oil classification that they state to use.

Does it matter? Most likely not, but Im a perfectionist ... ha ha. I also assume HD knows what is best for their engines.
Here's something to ponder. Look up a VOA of Harley's oil here. Then Look up a UOA of Valvolines VR-1 oil. The used oil will still have higher levels of additives then Harley's new oil. If Harley knows best, why is that?. Harley is one of the only oils I've seen with high levels of Boron, from which I've heard does the same job as zinc, only cheaper to use.If your looking for the best results, you would be wise to do some research rather then taking Harley's word as gospel when it come down to which oil is better for YOUR investment. A product made by the lowest bidder won't turn in the highest results.,,

Mystik Oil sells a 15w50 semi synthetic HDEO that is CJ4 rated.

But from what I have seen the VR1 and Kendall GT1 20w50 racing oils beat it in the oil analysis department. It is however sublimely cheap.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
alarmguy said:

. A product made by the lowest bidder won't turn in the highest results.,,

Wasn't the space shuttle and most(if not all) government aircraft made by the lowest bidder?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
alarmguy said:

Wasn't the space shuttle and most(if not all) government aircraft made by the lowest bidder?

There is no such thing as truly "low" bids in government contracts, especially on the federal level. Remember in the 80's when it came out the Army was paying 400 dollars for a hammer, 600 dollars for a toilet seat, and THOUSANDS for a coffee brewer?

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
alarmguy said:

There is no such thing as truly "low" bids in government contracts, especially on the federal level. Remember in the 80's when it came out the Army was paying 400 dollars for a hammer, 600 dollars for a toilet seat, and THOUSANDS for a coffee brewer?

Yes, but you don't think they actually paid that do you? That's how they hid millions(billions?) of dollars in covert funding for all types of government activities.

Even if you're the low bidder, you still have an obligation to meet the requirements or the terms of the contract.

Originally Posted By: SJohnson
Even if you're the low bidder, you still have an obligation to meet the requirements or the terms of the contract.

In theory, not always in practice. Cutting corners tends to happen.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: SJohnson

In theory, not always in practice. Cutting corners tends to happen.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back