85 mustang power steering fluid question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the power steering fluid for 85 mustang gt 5.0 , its stock and it does making a little sound when turn all the way. and it does leak a little bit, for this age, I dont expect much. thank you.

Yep, should be Type F. Ford PS pumps of that era are noisy, but are generally reliable despite noise. Changing the fluid may or may not make the noise go away.

The noise is so we know they're working
grin.gif

You can ignore the Type-F requirement, and use Mercon or Mercon V. I do that regularly.

Using synthetic ATF in your power steering system is an upgrade.

its true that some peoples add a bottle of ford LSD ( rear diff additive ) to their power steering to reduce the noise ? I read it some where on a ford truck forum many year back.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
its true that some peoples add a bottle of ford LSD ( rear diff additive ) to their power steering to reduce the noise ? I read it some where on a ford truck forum many year back.

Yup, do a complete flush with Mercon V, or another high quality synthetic ATF and add a bottle of XL3.

Don't add LSD additive to your PS system.
Use Type F ATF. Use a Synthetic Type F ATF. Or, use a newer ATF, preferably synthetic or blend.

Quality fluids do not need any treatments.

Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple ... have synthetic PSF that you can use too.

The Mercon V is a good upgrade over the mineral based Type F fluids. It won't care about friction modifiers so you can use pretty much anything resembling ATF, but Supertech makes plenty of inexpensive fluids that will do the trick like Mercon V.

Mobil 1 ATF is also a good choice. Synthetic Type F is good too if you can find it.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

Premium ATF has everything you need and nothing you don't.
I would not use any additives, unless the power steering was failing and I couldn't afford to fix it.

I put valvoline max life red cap atf in my 67 f250 power steering after a pump replacement. It seems to have more consistent power steering whether cold or hot, but like I said, after replacing the pump. Haven't had any more leaks or anything. I'd recommend going that route. On my 69 ford ltd, I siphoned the reservoir and filled with some mmo to help flush the system a bit after I bought it. Car had been sitting a long time. After a couple months but not many miles, I siphoned the reservoir maybe 5 times after driving it until the fluid was all clean. That one I just used regular type f and it's fine, but more expensive. And I think I got better results with the max life atf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back