PCV valve info. & ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Generally in my experience, and based on the advice of almost everyone I know that works on cars for a living, always go OEM for PCV valves.

+1 I swapped one out for a Fram PCV valve in a 4.9L E-150 I owned and it started using oil. I looked high and low for leaks, and couldn't find any. I went back to a Motorcraft PCV valve and the oil use stopped instantly. OEM is the only way to go when it comes to PCV valves.

Vent to atmosphere - save money on replacing pcv's & save money on techron/redline
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
Vent to atmosphere - save money on replacing pcv's & save money on techron/redline
wink.gif

That sounds good but the crankcase still needs suction to remove the gases.

Also i thought that Beck Arnley was a safe bet for PCV valves? I read that they partner with OEM manufacturers and actually make most of the OEM stuff..its been awhile since i read that idk.

For most mfg after the vehicle is out of warranty, they will consolidate numbers and then source from who ever is cheaper. In other words you get an aftermarket valve once the original stock runs out. Clean, don't replace.

Rod

Depending on the type of PCV valve, it may or may not make a difference. For example, Borgue Warner makes the PCV valves for Mopar. For me, it didn't matter because the OEM is just an upcharged version of the same
Part

Some new cars have a solenoid that meters an opening instead of a traditional valve. Those get pricey, and OEM is often the only game in town.

And some vehicles dont even have a PCV valve as such. My I-6 Jeep just uses a fixed orfice which seems to work just fine.

The reason getting OEM is best is because the tension of the spring is important. Aftermarket valves may not have the exact same spring tension as the OEM part.

Springs may lose their tension over time. When this happens, PCV valves can't be saved by cleaning them.

As always thanks for all your replies. I'll stick with oem. I want my cars pcv system operating as designed because of the problems that an out of spec.valve can potentially cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back