Thoughts on this "warning" from Saab WIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_R

This is from the WIS (workshop information system) on the fluid(3309) for the 5-speed AW55:

"the friction coefficient of synthetic oil is not the same as that of mineral oil based fluid and must therefore not be used. Synthetic oil may cause malfunctions by means of abnormal wear"

This note is in the WIS for all 9-5s with the AW55 through model year 2010.

Is this just nonsense so Saab can sell rebadged 3309 with a massive mark up, or is there truth to this?

I think there are plenty of discussions on here about viscosity and friction characteristics effecting clutch packs, synchros and all sorts of other things in both MT and ATs.

Id heed their advice.

Volvo WIS (known and VIDA) has the same warning for our two V70s, and they have the AW-55. I just change the fluid (cooler line exchange) every 30K with Toyota T-IV or Mobil 3309 (which I can only find on Amazon).

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I think there are plenty of discussions on here about viscosity and friction characteristics effecting clutch packs, synchros and all sorts of other things in both MT and ATs.

Id heed their advice.

I'm sure this exact thing has been gone over here, but I couldn't find anything with google search and the BITOG site search feature is just as useless as it was years ago when I joined.

Last edited:
If you're worried about it, stick to the mineral oil, 3309 spec, that I've been using. Both my cars are over 180K on the original transmissions. Clearly, using regular 3309 will give it a long life. Don't know about the others, but I bought some Valvoline Import Vehicle fluid and will change the fluid on the T5 soon. I'll let you know if it blows up, but I think anything meeting 3309, not universal, but made for 3309, is likely OK.

You can get Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV (they're the same) for about $5/qt. Castrol IMV is a good choice for 3309 replacement if you'd rather use that. I wouldn't stray away from those choices.

Thanks, I know about 3309, where to get it cheap, etc. I was just wondering about the validity of that quoted statement in the first post.

when i researched about the aisin AW55 tranny (i have it in saturn ion, GM calls it AF23), i found a few references about malfunctions if something else than T-IV was used. my understanding is it's one finicky AT.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
when i researched about the aisin AW55 tranny (i have it in saturn ion, GM calls it AF23), i found a few references about malfunctions if something else than T-IV was used. my understanding is it's one finicky AT.

If a manufacturer issues statements like that there are good reasons for it. Contrary to what some folks claim here about how
using a synthetic ATF is better or just as good as using the
recommended specification fluid.

I would NOT use MaxLife ATF in this application, ever.
The manufacturer has told you
NOT to and gone to the trouble of
explaining why you should not.

Last edited:
It may not be rebadged 3309, just because 3309 meets the requirements doesn't make it exactly the same. Toyota T-IV states on the bottle designed by Toyota R&D, not by Mobil. Not the same. I spend the extra $1 or $2 and get the one they say.

The clutch plate materials all vary. Once the transmission is rebuilt, you may need to use a different specification oil to match the new friction materials. Sometimes this is intentional to give longer life or match current fluids. For example, transmissions that take the old type A spec are often rebuilt to use dextron spec frictions in the clutches.

Rod

Pretty pathetic warning.... you would this that the friction modifier, from the ATF additive package, is what make the TC lockup and shifts smooth. My Volvo has been filled with RP and Amsoil over the past half decade. I paper bag the quart bottles so that the car doesn't see what it is being filled with. Laughable and sad automaker.

VW dsg is a POS tested by consumers. Its not an automatic. MT and AT should not be combined into one thread. All my manuals have synthetic and shift perfectly. Don't fall for the lifetime fluid [censored] from any automaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back