Need Opinions Re: Regular vs Long Life Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped using the long life filters because they last longer only because they filter less for the first 10K miles as they start stopping up and filtering better.

Now if one uses 15K miles OCI's then going with a less effective oil filter is required OR do an filter only change at 7500 miles to insure smaller particles under your rod caps.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
I stopped using the long life filters because they last longer only because they filter less for the first 10K miles as they start stopping up and filtering better.

Now if one uses 15K miles OCI's then going with a less effective oil filter is required OR do an filter only change at 7500 miles to insure smaller particles under your rod caps.
smile.gif

Not always true. There are some high efficiency full synthetic media filters that are rated anywhere from 10K to 15K miles.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins

smile.gif

Not always true. There are some high efficiency full synthetic media filters that are rated anywhere from 10K to 15K miles.

After I learned the extended run filters did not filter as well as stock filters a few years ago I have not revisited the subject so you may be correct.

What are some examples by size, brand and micro filtering levels?

^^^ Seems like just about any aftermarket filter (even non-synthetic) beats an OEM in terms of filtering efficiency these days.

In the full synthetic, long duration filters there are the following that have high efficiency and go 10K to 15k OCIs.

Fram Ultra: 99%+ at 20 microns - rated to 15K miles.
Purolator Synthetic: 99% at 25 microns - rated to 10K miles.
Mobil 1
Royal Purple
Amsoil

Last 3 are at least 99% at 25 microns and rated to at least 10K miles, maybe better. There are many threads discussing full synthetic filters and their performance.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Seems like just about any aftermarket filter (even non-synthetic) beats an OEM in terms of filtering efficiency these days.

In the full synthetic, long duration filters there are the following that have high efficiency and go 10K to 15k OCIs.

Fram Ultra: 99%+ at 20 microns - rated to 15K miles.
Purolator Synthetic: 99% at 25 microns - rated to 10K miles.
Mobil 1
Royal Purple
Amsoil

Last 3 are at least 99% at 25 microns and rated to at least 10K miles, maybe better. There are many threads discussing full synthetic filters and their performance.

I don't think Mobil-1 are full synthetic filters. Aren't they a cellulose blend?

^^^ All it says on the Mobil 1 website is:

"Our advanced performance oil filters use synthetic fibers ..."

and

"Contains synthetic fibers, which help promote clean oil – to support long engine life and performance."

They don't clearly elude one way or the other if it's a blend or full synthetic. It could be some kind of "blend", but regardless it's rated for 15K miles.
grin.gif

https://mobiloil.com/en/oil-filters/performance-oil-filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back