Expedition problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if the oil pressure on the dash worked and was not an idiot light.

I plan on documenting a few things at 3PM. Anything else I should check on, in the vid?

^^ Shouldn't I be able to buy a long screwdriver and hear the cyl thats knocking?

Or will I kill myself trying to do that on this engine. (Is it in there too low?)

I vote for the sea foam, not because it is right for your engine, but because I want to see what a -20w-79 oil/additive will do to an engine

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You know, if you were to buy the shop manual (on line subscription is about $25/year) for the Expedition, and then spend half as much time reading it as you spend posting on BITOG, you would have been able to fix this yourself...weeks ago....

Yeah, but posting irrelevant pics and videos on BITOG is a lot more fun.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
^^^ Brainstorming here.

More like brain diarrhea, Joe.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Astro14
You know, if you were to buy the shop manual (on line subscription is about $25/year) for the Expedition, and then spend half as much time reading it as you spend posting on BITOG, you would have been able to fix this yourself...weeks ago....

Yeah, but posting irrelevant pics and videos on BITOG is a lot more fun.

The video next will feature a shot of the oil cap, more noise analysis, taking it up to 3k, and maybe even seeing if the cooling system is pressurizing. You also get to see the new wheel and tire, purchased to replace the old one. (Since i'm supposed to be so "not listening" to everyone. I got a wheel and tire.) I am trying here.

The post I reference from BladeCutter, about his HF Asperger's Uncle, basically says how he will get too distracted, much like a cat, in the midst of "easy" repairs that he can "probably" do. So, in essence.. He can't.

^^^ Brainstorming here.

More like brain diarrhea, Joe.

[/quote]

I'm trying, though.

I have a great idea for Joe; become a scrapper. You obviously like old [censored] cars; why not get paid to drive around, find rusted out hunks, and instead of spending every dime trying to make them good driveable vehicles, scrap them for money. I know of a guy who does this (he scraps other items as well) and actually earns a living doing it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You will have that "Revved to 3k RPM" video in the late afternoon.

Let's continue to discuss. WE CAN STILL SAVE THIS THING.

Actually.. the coil and plugs can still get changed, tomorrow. Maybe even with a new exhaust manifold. Engine open up nothing. Though, I wonder now....

A talk with Robert is in order.

Let me get this straight. You still pay insurance (you had better be insured!) and are paying to repair at least two of these hoopties at once??!?

Im sory, its just ridiculous. If you at least put all the funds towards fixing one right, it would be one thing, but youre not doing yourself any favors with half repairs on these buckets.

We are each financing repair of our own... that sort of goes with the "acceptable" scenario you describe.

Yes, insured. We aren't the hooligans some think we are..

Nobody is saying anything wrong here. But is it as "ridiculous" now?

**Also... I am not sure that what you assert is fair. Honda got stolen, and the Expedition then "broke" about the same time as its recovery. Are we wrong, or not correct, in rising up, to deal with it? "Jersey Strong?"

You give good advice, and I think we have either respect or a mutual understanding for each other... (I'd still happily buy you a coffee or some such thing) but I want to understand you better. It's like when my Honda was took, I was free to grieve any way I chose, so long as it was legal. Past that? Any way I choose..

Having a two year old, we watched Finding Nemo last night. You remind me of Dory. Obviously you've got some intelligence in there, but there is lots wrong. You jump from thing to thing. You lack focus. Im sure youre a good guy, but you take way too many liberties and your supposed needs are in excess of what your situation can pay.

To pay insurance on three cars is two cars more than you need to be paying. Even with minimal coverage, Ill bet that's costing $500-1000/yr that you don't need to spend.

On cars that are all menaces to society. I couldn't care less that you and the lady are individually covering. Frankly, if youre married, than whats hers is yours and whats yours is hers. So act like it. Create a plan, and execute on it. Forget buying hats and glasses and liquor and cigarettes and whatever else you waste money on, and come up with a straightforward plan. Im glad youre no longer on assistance any more, no idea if she is, but regardless, maintain your car sharing plan, buy a bus pass for emergencies, and devote your time, effort and energy to one of these cars. I can assure you that regardless of how much you work, you cant afford to keep and repair all three. Keep one, take pride in it, fix it properly, or perhaps better, scrap all three in place of one better car that you two can share and that you can pour a few bucks into and have be nearly perfect.

Its like I told ram man when he was looking for a $3000 car... $3000 used cars often need $3000 worth of work by the time you replace all fluids, tires, the necessary safety parts, etc. Its no different here for you. Get the stuff done on a low rust, high-ish quality car, treat it with respect, and put yourself on a course for improvement, not living with junk that you don't know how to fix and cant afford to hassle with over and over again across three vehicles.

I don't want to be rude to you, Id buy you a coffee too. I just think that youre heading down a path that will be more costly and more filled with risk than you need to. Is the expedition in good shape other than the suspension and this coil? No rust? If so, perhaps that s the one you want to focus on. But if so, focus on getting the suspension and engine right, forget the others, get the insurance premium back, get them sold for 15c/lb, and get on with life and focusing both your resources on getting one reliable, smart car to use. Once you get to that point, then you start saving for both car #2 and sustained repairs on cars 1& 2 for upkeep.

Or... that can of Seafoam. Dump it in the crankcase?? ..

Keep it in the closet.

^^ Shouldn't I be able to buy a long screwdriver and hear the cyl thats knocking?

Or will I kill myself trying to do that on this engine. (Is it in there too low?)

No, do not buy a long screwdriver.
If you do that, you may damage yourself, the engine, or the screwdriver.
You have secured a mechanic. Let him do his job.

You will have that "Revved to 3k RPM" video in the late afternoon.

Let's continue to discuss. WE CAN STILL SAVE THIS THING.

Actually.. the coil and plugs can still get changed, tomorrow. Maybe even with a new exhaust manifold. Engine open up nothing. Though, I wonder now....

A talk with Robert is in order.

Let me get this straight. You still pay insurance (you had better be insured!) and are paying to repair at least two of these hoopties at once??!?

Im sory, its just ridiculous. If you at least put all the funds towards fixing one right, it would be one thing, but youre not doing yourself any favors with half repairs on these buckets.

We are each financing repair of our own... that sort of goes with the "acceptable" scenario you describe.

Yes, insured. We aren't the hooligans some think we are..

Nobody is saying anything wrong here. But is it as "ridiculous" now?

**Also... I am not sure that what you assert is fair. Honda got stolen, and the Expedition then "broke" about the same time as its recovery. Are we wrong, or not correct, in rising up, to deal with it? "Jersey Strong?"

You give good advice, and I think we have either respect or a mutual understanding for each other... (I'd still happily buy you a coffee or some such thing) but I want to understand you better. It's like when my Honda was took, I was free to grieve any way I chose, so long as it was legal. Past that? Any way I choose..

Having a two year old, we watched Finding Nemo last night. You remind me of Dory. Obviously you've got some intelligence in there, but there is lots wrong. You jump from thing to thing. You lack focus. Im sure youre a good guy, but you take way too many liberties and your supposed needs are in excess of what your situation can pay.

To pay insurance on three cars is two cars more than you need to be paying. Even with minimal coverage, Ill bet that's costing $500-1000/yr that you don't need to spend.

On cars that are all menaces to society. I couldn't care less that you and the lady are individually covering. Frankly, if youre married, than whats hers is yours and whats yours is hers. So act like it. Create a plan, and execute on it. Forget buying hats and glasses and liquor and cigarettes and whatever else you waste money on, and come up with a straightforward plan. Im glad youre no longer on assistance any more, no idea if she is, but regardless, maintain your car sharing plan, buy a bus pass for emergencies, and devote your time, effort and energy to one of these cars. I can assure you that regardless of how much you work, you cant afford to keep and repair all three. Keep one, take pride in it, fix it properly, or perhaps better, scrap all three in place of one better car that you two can share and that you can pour a few bucks into and have be nearly perfect.

Its like I told ram man when he was looking for a $3000 car... $3000 used cars often need $3000 worth of work by the time you replace all fluids, tires, the necessary safety parts, etc. Its no different here for you. Get the stuff done on a low rust, high-ish quality car, treat it with respect, and put yourself on a course for improvement, not living with junk that you don't know how to fix and cant afford to hassle with over and over again across three vehicles.

I don't want to be rude to you, Id buy you a coffee too. I just think that youre heading down a path that will be more costly and more filled with risk than you need to. Is the expedition in good shape other than the suspension and this coil? No rust? If so, perhaps that s the one you want to focus on. But if so, focus on getting the suspension and engine right, forget the others, get the insurance premium back, get them sold for 15c/lb, and get on with life and focusing both your resources on getting one reliable, smart car to use. Once you get to that point, then you start saving for both car #2 and sustained repairs on cars 1& 2 for upkeep.

I need to read this a little later!

2cd6f9c7a734e3da0087a3976eb15680.jpg

^^ Oh Yeah.

And OC tomorrow?

Yes. Plus two cans Berryman B-12.

12 more hours on this fill..

...if noise changes, I will report so..

Quit buying miracles in a can. Put some conventional oil in there and change it every 5k. Skip the sea foam, berry whatever, and everything else. I seriously think I could save you $4K per year by cutting off your hands so you couldn't reach for your wallet every time you want to buy some stupid shtuff.

And why are you driving an expedition if you were recently on welfare? Get a darn Focus and don't modify it one bit. It will cost you half of what a V8 suv costs to run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Quit buying miracles in a can. Put some conventional oil in there and change it every 5k. Skip the sea foam, berry whatever, and everything else. I seriously think I could save you $4K per year by cutting off your hands so you couldn't reach for your wallet every time you want to buy some stupid shtuff.

And why are you driving an expedition if you were recently on welfare? Get a darn Focus and don't modify it one bit. It will cost you half of what a V8 suv costs to run.

Expedition was pre-existing coming into relationship.

Now... something maybe important: I felt heat and air out of oil fill hole, when I added. Then, it took about 15 seconds to start back up. Could that mean anything?

^^ Oh Yeah.

And OC tomorrow?

If it needs changed, get you a 5qt. jug of whatever Wally World is calling their house brand swill (can't think of it at the moment) and a Motorcraft filter and be done with it. Take the $12. you save and put it toward the repair bill.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

^^ Oh Yeah.

And OC tomorrow?

If it needs changed, get you a 5qt. jug of whatever Wally World is calling their house brand swill (can't think of it at the moment) and a Motorcraft filter and be done with it. Take the $12. you save and put it toward the repair bill.

In the appropriate grade as indicated by the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back