Buying a new TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well im upgrading my current 32" and we are going to go for 55" to 65" for the living room.

I have been out of the game of buying TVs for years, and wow is there alot of options now.

I have read about a thousand reviews and also all the nitpicks etc. In todays age its no longer feasible to walk into walmart and buy a tv based on picture due to the 100s of settings that arent adjusted. While one TV may look great, the one you should have bought was just out of adjustment.

So I made a choice a couple of days ago that Plasma is THE way to go. The consensus is that Plasma gives the best picture, best this and best that over the new LED tvs. But...the ones u want are last year models and its a witch hunt to find the right one. I feel that the reviews are correct that Plasma gives the best picture quality...but plasma is on its last legs. So i have changed my mind. I am giving up plasma due to the lack of support and tech.

After a couple of days in the LED hunt, i learned lots of new terms. "flashlighting" "black crush" "pentile" "edge lit" .

I learned that its best to use calibration discs or others settings to achieve the best picture quality, or u will be unhappy with just the plug and play of most of the TVs.

I also learned that there are 'smart tvs' and 'dumb tvs'

I am not interested in 4K or curved at this time. Most of my viewing is Netflix, HDTV..and the occasional rental.

So I have narrowed it down to Samsung 7150 series.

Now that i have chose my TV..looks like i cant just walk in and buy it. I will have to order it online and hope that the reviews and comments were correct.

Spending over $1500 on a TV that i cannot look at personally seems strange. If i dont like it do i ship it back? Do i then go to walmart or best buy and pick which one looks best even though the reviews say to avoid it? LOL.

Just curious if anyone has done this recently and what you ended up with and why. Did you do research and get what you wanted? or just walk into a store plug it in and are happy?

4K is the only way to go, IMO. Im still using a CRT because I was never satisfied with 1080 sets, and just don't watch hardly any TV except the occasional movie. 4k finally makes it good enough to justify buying a TV.

I think LED with higher refresh rate, like 120Hz would be good. IMO the most important think is to be able to go look at them yourself and see how it looks to you. Calibration settings are available online for many TVs. Many of the brain-dead box stores may not let you mess around much.

Bought a 55" Panasonic smart plasma 4 years ago for Christmas. Stunning picture. It's a 1080 set, THX certified. Same thoughts: a bewildering array of options. But pick a good one and you won't be disappointed. Still love the picture on ours. IMHO, 4K is new, so you're going to overpay for it. At the proper viewing distance (couch), a 1080 set with BluRay or HD signal delivers a great picture. We watch movies often and this plasma delivers the rich colors movies deserve...shoot, even CNBC looks rich and exciting!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Bought a 55" Panasonic smart plasma 4 years ago for Christmas. Stunning picture. It's a 1080 set, THX certified. Same thoughts: a bewildering array of options. But pick a good one and you won't be disappointed. Still love the picture on ours. IMHO, 4K is new, so you're going to overpay for it. At the proper viewing distance (couch), a 1080 set with BluRay or HD signal delivers a great picture. We watch movies often and this plasma delivers the rich colors movies deserve...shoot, even CNBC looks rich and exciting!

+1 - I nabbed a 60" Samsung plasma 3 years ago that Dell had on special at Christmas for less than $800. It shows "true" black without all of the "painting and pixelating" that I have seen other TVs do. Avatar on BD on this thing is liquid and vivid. There were plenty of people at the time telling me to go with LCD or LED, but I have not regretted my choice to go with plasma. YMMV

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
4K is the only way to go, IMO. Im still using a CRT because I was never satisfied with 1080 sets, and just don't watch hardly any TV except the occasional movie. 4k finally makes it good enough to justify buying a TV.

I think LED with higher refresh rate, like 120Hz would be good. IMO the most important think is to be able to go look at them yourself and see how it looks to you. Calibration settings are available online for many TVs. Many of the brain-dead box stores may not let you mess around much.

Cathode Ray Tube? The Trinitron really was the best of the best. (And I tried hard, but I could ever get with the XBR.)

Please tell me you don't have a 4:3 aspect ratio... I was a die-hard with my Sony Trinitron KV-27V36. (Google it lol)

*I also do not know how good Sony currently is.. I have heard that it is not a "bad" set (Bravia,) but is more or less "Just a name" now. Sharp Aquos is supposed to be AMAZING too. (I know very little of modern TV. The LG I have is pretty good. Funky frame.. almost didn't fit where I wanted it.. but I like it.)

I purchased our last television sight-unseen. Realistically, viewing in-store isn't going to do anything for you anyway. Calibration is always set to be hyper-vivid and big box stores are too bright to get a realistic experience.

I ended up with a 55" Samsung 6100-series. I have had experience with Samsung on another set and their customer service is very, very good. That alone swayed me toward a Samsung set. I followed the reviews, set my budget, and found a set that met both with the features I wanted.

It was ordered through Amazon. Their white-glove delivery was great. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. Free 2-day Prime delivery by an expeditor, not UPS or FedEx. The box was in pristine condition. The set was unboxed, inspected, then turned on. Once it was agreed it was undamaged, you sign for it. Mine was going on a wall mouth, but if you're using the included stand, they also install the stand and place the set for you.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
I have a 60" LG LED TV and I LOVE it. I think it is model LB-5900 or something.

Aside from some "motion lag" when we first first got it.. it kinda has stopped doing that. Maybe it was new..

Let me post a linky to the TV I (she) has. (In the same apartment)

My/her LG 60" TV .. It costs $800 now, it cost $200 more last year

You cant fix your hoopties but you can buy $1000 TVs??

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
I purchased our last television sight-unseen. Realistically, viewing in-store isn't going to do anything for you anyway. Calibration is always set to be hyper-vivid and big box stores are too bright to get a realistic experience.

I ended up with a 55" Samsung 6100-series. I have had experience with Samsung on another set and their customer service is very, very good. That alone swayed me toward a Samsung set. I followed the reviews, set my budget, and found a set that met both with the features I wanted.

It was ordered through Amazon. Their white-glove delivery was great. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. Free 2-day Prime delivery by an expeditor, not UPS or FedEx. The box was in pristine condition. The set was unboxed, inspected, then turned on. Once it was agreed it was undamaged, you sign for it. Mine was going on a wall mouth, but if you're using the included stand, they also install the stand and place the set for you.

Amazon.
smile.gif
MINE TOO!
laugh.gif
. I work there.
smile.gif

We would not put your TV on the belt... exactly like UPS. Though I have not seen a tire yet...

I saw a 42" LG.. same model as mine, I could tell by the box.. (or 40-inch or whatever, I used to think that was big, but, no more) in the Fulfillment Center EWR5 yesterday..
Our 60" got delivered by LaserShip.

Aside from some "motion lag" when we first first got it.. it kinda has stopped doing that. Maybe it was new..

DO you REALLY want to know how that TV came to be?

I can tell you, if you want to know. It is no problem.

It was not for naught... Yes, the TV was before I took the Expie under my wing.. it was a serious situation..

Shall I post it up. ? (Version of events that led to said TV. It was nota willy-nilly spend, that is for sure. AND it went on credit, thank you.)

Plasma has by far the best picture even better than 4k. Plasma is the best until OLED is affordable. I can't stand the sooo opera effect you get with led lcd. Get a Samsung plasma while you still can, best buy still has a few.

+1 I thought he got EBT too.

that is for sure. AND it went on credit, thank you.)

With the info you have posted, you should not be using credit. the only credit you should use is when you immediately pay off each purchase. Never carry a balance. Buy something and pay it off instantly.

Its not on sale if you buy it on credit and carry a balance. You pay 7-20% more if you don't pay it immediately.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

+1 I thought he got EBT too.

GHT got EBT back in Massachusetts for a couple or few months, with "L." No more.

And. Short version:

1. She had a 52" Philips TV...
2. We moved in together...
3. Mover (*read: Not me) BROKE her 52" Philips TV. (Put it face-down on 3rd row folded down seat of Expedition. Now the display is all black, with light on part of it and a crack.)
4. Of course: "My fault."
5. "Baby, I can get a bigger TV from Amazon.. maybe 60"?"
6 Her:
smile.gif

7. TV comes....
8. Mover disappears, after paying a whopping $100 towards his liability with an oral payment plan.

And *whoop* there it is.
25.gif
25.gif

On credit, too...

... please, stop saying I get EBT. I make like $1000 every two weeks now.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
that is for sure. AND it went on credit, thank you.)

With the info you have posted, you should not be using credit. the only credit you should use is when you immediately pay off each purchase. Never carry a balance. Buy something and pay it off instantly.

Its not on sale if you buy it on credit and carry a balance. You pay 7-20% more if you don't pay it immediately.

While true.. In an ironic twist: The company I bought it from now employs me.
25.gif

... please, stop saying I get EBT. I make like $1000 every two weeks now.

That does not mean spend!! Save save save. you are going to need to retire one day.

A strong word of caution about 120Hz:

My girlfriend has a 120Hz set, and it takes a very long time to get used to. I still haven't.

On 120Hz, everything refreshes so fast and so clear that every movie or TV show looks low budget.

If I watch a movie 60Hz, that small lag in refresh adds to the immersion.

120Hz is very sterile and clinical looking.

Years back, Nvidia did tests and concluded that the eye needs some "motion blur" to add to the experience in some games, and even added this feature support.

It is really crazy, yes, some people don't know what I am talking about at all, but 120Hz makes A++ movies look like low budget films. I really hope if I ever get a 120Hz TV I can adapt.

Anyone else experience this effect??

Originally Posted By: YotaTaco
Plasma has by far the best picture even better than 4k. Plasma is the best until OLED is affordable. I can't stand the sooo opera effect you get with led lcd. Get a Samsung plasma while you still can, best buy still has a few.

yes i also learned about the 'soap opera effect'

from what I gather the F8500 samsung plasma is the best PQ (picture quality) tv that a man can get his hands on.. I found them listed on Sears (on sale)..but they are out of stock. I chatted with the sears rep (the rep popped up while i was browsing). I told him i wanted to buy the F8500 today since it was on sale.. he (or she) then came back saying to go to my local store and get a raincheck. That they would be back in stock soon. I told him that BestBuy had discontinued them and that no other website is selling them.. he said not to worry that they would be back in stock again soon.. I believe this to be a lie but i would like to pick up the F8500 if it is going to be sold again.

With some more research it seems that the F5300 is close to the F8500 and still available and the H5000 (64 inch only) is also close to the beloved F8500.

So for PQ (picture quality) I should go with plasma for now?

I am not worried about electric but i did see that plasmas burn like 600 watts vs 100 watts for LEDs..they get hotter and alot of them have a buzz or humm... also they need 'broken in' and that after a hundred hours or so they start getting better and better.

Some TVs have an option called film mode that attempts to create the smooth analog look of old school film projectors.

Any of the big brands like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG produce or have produced good quality LED/Plasma TVs. Plasma has great pic with excellent side angle and day time viewing but they use a lot of electricity and run hot which produces a shorter lifespan.

LEDs run cool, use very little electricity, and chosen carefully have excellent pics but some have limited side angle viewing getting dim pretty fast once you move off center. They also wash out easily in bright sunny rooms. One other tip buy a bigger TV than you think you want. Size does matter and they shrink over time : )

If and when my 13 year old 3250lb 60" Pioneer Elite rear projector ever gives up the ghost, I'll roll it right out to the end of the driveway and go off to Costco to buy the latest 65" Samsung LED set.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back