Picked up a case of TGMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Mobil 1 EP or TGMO 0W-20 are made for your short 2.2 mile trips, with TGMO having an advantage down to a little below zero, after that EP excels. Suggest you buy whatever oil is easiest to obtain, as your engine won't know the difference in the grand scheme of things.

I use leftover TGMO in the winter because it doesn't get below zero in my area. Once it's used up, Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 with a mix of Mobil 1 0W-40 will be used year around.

I am in KC, we do get below zero sometimes. Coldest I ever saw here was in 1985, IIRC, 23 below for a few days, the not above zero for a week, not the norm.
Today we hit 50 with temps dropping to 14 by morning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I like to keep cars OEM. TGMO is made my XOM to Toyotas spec.

I find that statement a little interesting given that there's been multiple versions of TGMO, and they were all quite different...

changing specs? I just bought the correct 0w20 for the car.

Assuming that all of the different TGMO 0W20s were "the correct oil for the car", there's no correct oil for the car...at least not in Toyota's view, as they changed the specs (and have a different supplier/spec in other parts of the world).

I like to keep cars OEM. TGMO is made my XOM to Toyotas spec.

I find that statement a little interesting given that there's been multiple versions of TGMO, and they were all quite different...

changing specs? I just bought the correct 0w20 for the car.

Assuming that all of the different TGMO 0W20s were "the correct oil for the car", there's no correct oil for the car...at least not in Toyota's view, as they changed the specs (and have a different supplier/spec in other parts of the world).

True. specs change for whatever reason.

In the US, almost everything Toyota sells uses the 0W-20 product.

So forgive me if I make that assumption in my posts.

I don't know anyone seeking out 5W-30 TGMO.

Although I'm sure you can buy it at the dealership for your V6 4Runner.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

His point is more that the formulation has changed multiple times; there is no "Magic" version of the product that has persisted since its introduction.

If Toyota has modified the formula multiple times, as well as having it formulated by multiple blenders in various incarnations, then perhaps too much homage is being paid to the divinity/purity of the product. I believe that's what he is getting at.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is an excellent product as well, arguably one of the best Euro oils on the market. But XOM has dramatically changed the formula on it several times, sometimes making aspects of it better, sometimes worse. It went from PAO to VISOM-based, and is now back to PAO. Its MRV is nowhere near as low as it used to be, but it now has far better shear stability so....
21.gif

TGMO is a high-VI Toyota-branded lubricant designed to provide lower viscosity at typical North American start-up temperatures and adequate protection/performance for Toyota family vehicles. It isn't designed to be the "ultimate" 0w-20 anymore than any other 0w-20 on the market. M1 EP 0w-20 is probably the best "deal" due to its price and PAO content. It is very unfortunate we can't get it in Canada, or I'd be using it. The EP and AFE 0w-xx lubricants offer probably the best cold temperature performance of any readily available oil. But they aren't ultra high VI, nor are they intended for a specific brand of vehicle, so they are a tad heavier. That's why Mobil can confidently recommend them for 5w-xx applications.

Every lubricant is a compromise in some way.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

His point is more that the formulation has changed multiple times; there is no "Magic" version of the product that has persisted since its introduction.

If Toyota has modified the formula multiple times, as well as having it formulated by multiple blenders in various incarnations, then perhaps too much homage is being paid to the divinity/purity of the product. I believe that's what he is getting at.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is an excellent product as well, arguably one of the best Euro oils on the market. But XOM has dramatically changed the formula on it several times, sometimes making aspects of it better, sometimes worse. It went from PAO to VISOM-based, and is now back to PAO. Its MRV is nowhere near as low as it used to be, but it now has far better shear stability so....
21.gif

TGMO is a high-VI Toyota-branded lubricant designed to provide lower viscosity at typical North American start-up temperatures and adequate protection/performance for Toyota family vehicles. It isn't designed to be the "ultimate" 0w-20 anymore than any other 0w-20 on the market. M1 EP 0w-20 is probably the best "deal" due to its price and PAO content. It is very unfortunate we can't get it in Canada, or I'd be using it. The EP and AFE 0w-xx lubricants offer probably the best cold temperature performance of any readily available oil. But they aren't ultra high VI, nor are they intended for a specific brand of vehicle, so they are a tad heavier. That's why Mobil can confidently recommend them for 5w-xx applications.

Every lubricant is a compromise in some way.

good explanation! Now does that mean I will use TGMO forever in the Camry? no. The M1 EP 0w20 IS a great oil and will try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back