Accident question

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I really need help. My car was hit twice this month while parking in the parking lot. The first accident occured while I was inside the bank. I happened to saw the vehicle leaving while stepping out. I am not sure how minor or major the damage is. The parking lot is a weird shape and angle. The truck's tow hitch went into the car and slid down the burst out my rear bumper's lower spoiler. This bumper already has minor paint and parking damages. I called the offender's insurance company and they indicated that it is not possible for the tow hitch to slide down and the damage was already there; indicating that they would not paid anything. I argue that the damage was caused the the hitch and previous damages were not severe to consider the bumper total. The previous damages are minor and cosmetic. The insurance company countered with 44 dollars for one hour shop time to fix the bumper. This case has not been resolved as I just spoke with them this morning.

Last night, my vehicle was hit while in the parking lot at work. I was in the office and only found out when I left work. I thought the snow plow had hit it while scrapping snow in the parking lot. The bumper is split badly for much of the left side and snapped off the body. This is not cosmetic but major damage as I had to tape it up very good before driving, fearing that the wind may rip the entire left side of the rear bumper off and hit incoming traffic.

The driver left a note on the windshield and admit fault. I show him the damages this morning. The bad part is he has the same insurance company as the first accident driver. My worry is that this insurance company will pull the same trick again and get out of paying. In addition, I just inspected the car again and noticed that the left side area has a dent right above where the bumper separated from the body. I don’t know if this is from this accident or existing. I had never seen it there.
My co-worker expressed that he had the same issue with this insurance company, who haggled the claim pay out when their client hit his vehicle. He suggests I contact my insurance company and have it sorted out with that insurance company. My concern is that this will raise my rate since it would show that I am at a higher risk with 2 accidents in one month. I was not in the vehicle at the time of either accident. I parked far away from everyone during both events and I always park far away from people to avoid door dings and parking lot damages. My vehicle is 13 years old but it have been well taken care of. I want to keep it for 2 more years before having a lot of maintenance work such as timing belt, water pump, brake pads and rotor, and other routine maintenance items change in order to get another $100k out of it. This latest accident, if the insurance company refuse to pay, will effectively next to the total the car as the cost of the new bumper will be more than half the price of the vehicle due to the year and mileage as well as exterior blemishes.
Please help. Should I call the offender’s insurance company
now and make them send an adjuster out and document the damage. They didn’t send the adjuster out, just asked for pictures from me.

Last edited:
In this state, Texas, as long as you are not at fault, or making a comprehensive claim, you have no fear of premiums rising. Helping with situations like this is one of the things you are paying for. At this point your insurance carrier is the next entity I would contact.

Insurance companies, Geico in particular, will jerk you around and hope you go away. Don't go away.

If you have damage, go ahead and call your insurance company and tell them your what happened and have them get on his insurance company. If that gets no where, set a deadline, say 90 days from the first report. If you have no check in hand from the other insurance company, get a lawyer. First, call them every couple days and give them the count-down clock.

If it drags out and you insist on not getting a lawyer, at least contact your state's insurance commission or commissioner (differs from state to state) and tell them you're getting delayed and jerked around. CC your local state house representative/state senator.

If you were the victim of a hit-and-run, you need a police report. Otherwise if there is no injury, police usually won't bother. Geico will tell you they need you to send them an official copy of the police report. Give them the incident number and tell them to spend their own $15 to get the report.

Don't get a lawyer. You'll pay them more than you'll ever get back. Take the insurance Co/owner to small claims court. It's really easy and the judges favor the small guy, well at least here in Ma they do.

When they get the paperwork from the court they'll probably just cut you a check for what you want to settle. It's too expensive for them to send a lawyer for a bumper. Get 2 or 3 estimates from high dollar shops such as dealers or high end autobody.

Next time you talk to the insurance ask who the president of the company is as you need it for your small claims paperwork. They might be more cooperative on the spot.

Last edited:
Call in your own insurer and sign subrogation papers.
Let your insurer deal with the scofflaw insurer.
They have the legal hitting power to make credible threats.
You'll be on the hook for any deductible, but your insurer will probably get that back for you.
These are not chargeable claims, either, so there'll be no impact on your rates.
Suing the offending owners in small claims court is another option.
It's more of a gamble, though and you may well lose.
After the court renders a judgement, you probably have no further practical recourse.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Call in your own insurer and sign subrogation papers.
Let your insurer deal with the scofflaw insurer.
They have the legal hitting power to make credible threats.
You'll be on the hook for any deductible, but your insurer will probably get that back for you.
These are not chargeable claims, either, so there'll be no impact on your rates.
Suing the offending owners in small claims court is another option.
It's more of a gamble, though and you may well lose.
After the court renders a judgement, you probably have no further practical recourse.

100% this.

You pay your own insurance provider to deal with any issues related to an accident claim. You do not need to deal with this. File a claim with your insurance - there should be zero impact to your premiums given the circumstances.

Last edited:
Would this company start with a A or a G? Anyways, tell your insurance company they will handle it for you. I assume you have collision coverage? If so your company should fix it after your deductible, and then it will be up to them to get the money from who hit you.

Offtopic: The reason I ask if it starts with an A or G is because when had the big hail storm here a year and half ago, those two companies didn't want to pay legit hail damage claims on cars.

And you pay your insurance premiums for?

Seriously, stop wasting your time and have your insurance company handle this, assuming you have collision coverage. That's part of what you pay them for! You were not at fault in either of these accidents (not even in the vehicle). It should have no affect on your premiums.

+2.
Have your insurance company become involved.
You are not at fault for either incident.
They have enough clout to get this cleaned up in short order.
Besides, that is why you pay for the service.

Ditto what the other posters say about having your own insurance company do the legwork. I'm not clear if it was the same bumper damaged in both incidents. Car is 13 years old, do you have collision coverage? If so, report the one with the most damage and pay your collision deductible, which your company will recoup for you. Also, many companies reduce your collision deductible in cases where your care was parked and unoccupied. Inquire about that too.

If you don't have collision coverage, your insurance company probably will do little or nothing for you.

State Farm will act like they don't know you after you have paid their premiums for thirty years. Worst *$#@*%$ company I have ever dealt with. And SF had my homeowners coverage too.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
State Farm will act like they don't know you after you have paid their premiums for thirty years. Worst *$#@*%$ company I have ever dealt with. And SF had my homeowners coverage too.

So much for that Discount Double check stuff.

I had them over 20 years ago and they were the worst.
It is one thing to get mediocre service and pay lower premiums, but with SF you pay very high rates for poor service.

Last edited:

We've had State Farm for more than thirty years and have been very happy with the company and our agent.
Claims service?
State Farm bought a total of four vehicles from us, courtesy of our sons in their younger years.
Their payouts were more than fair and settlement was quick and easy.
They didn't jack our auto rates up all that much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back