Just how important is time factor in oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have many things with engines and some don't get used very often.

The old adage is 3 months or 3000 miles and we all know that 3000 miles is most likely too soon with modern oils.

So how often should I change oil if I don't hit my mileage threshold in a reasonable time? I have a pickup that has been driven about 2000 miles since November. I was planning on changing every 5000 miles but that might take 6 months or longer..

In vehicles aside from my Firebird that gets stored in the winter (I change it based on the seasons), I just go by mileage irrespective of time. I've done that in my last 3 vehicles and never had a lubrication related issue. As long as it gets up to operating temperature regularly, just go by miles.

I have a Chevy Volt; if you're not familiar with this vehicle, some owners drive around never using the gas engine at all, other people use gas on a daily basis. It depends on how far you drive and how often you plug in.

Since you could literally drive the car many, many thousands of miles without using the gas engine, GM engineers had to address a scenario where the gas engine was rarely used and oil sits in the crankcase.

The owner's manual states that oil needs to be changed every two years irrespective of mileage. Assuming the engineers know more than me, I would apply that logic to any situation where an engine was rarely run. Keep in mind this is under the assumption that a high-quality dexos oil is being used per the manual. Hope that helps to gives you peace of mind.

5k every 6 months isn't too long at all. In fact, that is roughly what I do with my Jeep.

As long as you allow the engine to get hot at highway speeds you should be fine.

What car? What engine? What oil? What kind of driving do you do? Are the few miles mostly short trips or long distance?

Primarily short trips every 6 months

Mostly long-distance once a year

I agree. I just don't understand the time limit. Now, if the oil manufs can give us a technical explanation I'd be more likely to follow it.

I left GC in my Mustang for 4 years. It's only used for 100+ mile trips in the summer.

The suburban's oil change light has been flashing for almost a year now. It's only got around 4k miles on AFE.

Ford says once a year on their truck. I did and tested the oil. No problem.

Ford's oil life monitor doesn't like sporadic use, though. If you leave the car parked for days on end, then maybe 2x a year is in order.

I think the time limit is there in case someone short trips their car in low temperatures.

OCIs are there to meet everyone's driving style, unless you have a good OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back