Young drivers, possibly idiots, and snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
As we were prepping to go to my parent's place earlier today, myself, the kids and a buddy of mine were on my deck, with a clear view of the intersection just across from it, and I heard a prolonged honk and looked as a blue Honda Civic pulled out in front of two vehicles, coming from different directions, and got double t-boned.

Vehicle going south on the main road was a black Toyota Rav 4. Vehicle going north on the main road was a white Hyundai Sonata.

Vehicle that caused the accident was a 7th generation dark blue Honda Civic headed west.

The Toyota and Hyundai were headed South and North respectively on the main road. The Civic did a "rolling stop" at the stop sign and then just barrelled on into the main road directly in front of the Toyota, who laid on the horn but with about 20ft to stop and with the roads covered in snow, he nailed the left-rear door/quarter panel of the Civic, which then slid sideways a couple of feet as the right front fender/door impacted the front of the Hyundai. This sent it down the side street at an angle where it narrowly missed a hydro pole.

Both drivers from the main road exited their vehicles and spoke for a minute. Then the kids in the Civic got out.

A couple of late teen/early 20's white boys with flat brimmed hats, baggy pants, not dressed for the weather and yes, I'm stereotyping. They were probably sitting with the seat majorly reclined gangstin' out to 50-cent or something
smirk.gif
Obviously preoccupied with being awesome rather than watching the road in inclement weather or checking that an intersection is clear before entering it.

Unable to offer any real assistance, we leave and head out for about 30 minutes. Upon return, all three vehicles are still on the scene, though now all parked on the North side of the street the Civic was headed west-bound on. The woman in the Hyundai seemed irate, the gentleman in the Rav 4, obviously upset. The folks from the Civic were swaggering around and their "friends" had arrived and they were arm-talking/gesturing to their "crew" about the "situation". A situation that they were obviously at fault in.

The scene has now been cleaned up and the vehicles off to the collision centre I assume, but I find myself irritated by the fact that these idiots have ruined the day for these other two people by being not only oblivious but doing so on a day where driving requires special attention and alertness due to the condition of the roads.

When I was young I felt it was unfair that my rates were so much higher than my dad's. Now, in my early 30's, and having seen numerous situations like these play out, I completely understand it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

A couple of late teen/early 20's white boys with flat brimmed hats, baggy pants, not dressed for the weather and yes, I'm stereotyping. They were probably sitting with the seat majorly reclined gangstin' out to 50-cent or something
smirk.gif
Obviously preoccupied with being awesome rather than watching the road in inclement weather or checking that an intersection is clear before entering it.

You paint a perfect picture - yea I would bet a paycheck that this accident won't be the last thing that these two numbnuts screw up.

Last edited:
I may be crazy, but at least around where I live drivers get WORSE in inclement weather. Of course it doesn't really snow much here and when it does nobody really drives because the city doesn't buy plows to use once every 5 years.
But on dark foggy or rainy nights when there's a ton of standing water on the roads people go faster, leave less following distance, and are more likely to make erratic lane changes.

It's unfortunate that the good drivers under 25 (yes they do exist) are penalized for the idiocy of their peers. I'm now 26 and my rates are very good, and I have comprehensive coverage too. I actually pay less than my girlfriend (23) does for liability only.

Picture this one. Pontiac G6 4 door stopped southbound at stop sign for a side road that T's to a thoroughfare. City bus (one of our nicer hybrid electric rigs) westbound on the thoroughfare maybe 100 feet east of the side street the G6 is on. G6 decides to try to go make their left turn, problem is there's about 2 inches of snowpack on the side road. G6 starts to spin, instead of canceling the attempt and staying put, decides to gun it and spin more since they've got some forward motion going. Oh yeah, its a race now to get traction and go before the city bus gets there. Well, timing was not on their side and they caught traction just in time to be vaulted out into the path of the bus and get t-boned. Bus driver tried to do an evasive veer to right but still tagged them square-on at the driver side rear door. Bus has one of the bicycle carrier on the front for bike riders that want to ride the bus, and it was a heavy duty one, too. Obliterated the side of the G6. So the two people in the G6, let's just say they were of similar ilk to the ones in Overkill's original post here, they seem fine and are walking about smoking and joking and making cellular calls until I guess they realize "city bus=city owned=potential settlement" and decide their necks hurt and they need to take an ambulance ride to go get checked at the ER. Even though they failed to yield. Bus driver was a woman who could easily win a look alike sound alike contest for Whoopi Goldberg, that's who she reminded me of (haha) and she was p!ssed because even though it wasn't her fault she'll probably still get a write up from her super over it. Picture Whoppi as a city bus driver cussing up a storm and you got the visual...

Saw a flat-brim-hatted wankster on his cell phone hit his brakes hard, forgetting he had to yield to on-coming traffic as made a left in front of us. He then made an awkwardly wide left, because he was too far into the intersection and only had his right hand free to turn the wheel.

Again, I was stopped at my red light as he turned left in front of me, so I turned to get a good look, and while black leather blends into the background, I'm pretty sure it was too far back to be seen.

Even as an gangsta-rap-lovin' white kid from the burbs I never got the baggy jeans (I wore some knock-off Pacos for work jeans that were 10 waist sizes too big, but I wore a belt) and I alway preferred my seat in a good position for rallying across my high-school parking lot, because, well, you never know.

What I'm trying to say is, I was a classy wanna be gangsta; ya know, the loveable misguided type. Haha. The guys I knew who REALLY tried to be hood, driving laid back, only ever having one free hand, the one that wasn't holding their jeans up, and picked fights because it was fun have turned out to be lovers. They weren't all bad guys, but what for some of us was a phase, they never grew out of...

In all seriousness, though, it's the aggressive types who are worse in every situation than the idiotic. Why? Because they push idiots and timid people into doing something frightfully reactive.

Last edited:
Were I driving either the Hyundai or the Toy, I would probably have trash-talked the Civic's driver into trying something.
I would have then introduced him to the difference between a wanna-be tough kid and someone who actually has some training in how to fight.
Unforgiveable stupidity that might have gotten someone hurt, not just damaged a few cars.
The guys in the Civic were most at risk.
Good that nobody was injured.

The key in these situations is to make sure the drivers not at fault have your information for a witness statement, if you saw it. The little douchbags will change their story and cause the impacted drivers all kind of issues. Just your name and number is enough. The innocent parties insurance will contact you if they need the truth.

A couple of late teen/early 20's white boys with flat brimmed hats, baggy pants, not dressed for the weather and yes, I'm stereotyping.

Its sad to see this exists in Canada too.
crackmeup2.gif

These days it doesn't seem like age is such a big factor in the "it's all about me" types.

The other day I was sitting at an intersection and my light turns green. I went to go and 3 more cars went through their red light. I crept up and laid on the horn. The lady in the last car gave me the finger and gestured something. She was probably in her 40s and had a kid in the passenger seat. I don't see this so much with teens, they just seem to be constantly texting and not paying attention. I guess they don't give me the finger because they are too busy not paying attention.

Ever since my buddy installed an off road winch bumper on his Jeep less people have pulled out in front of him. Maybe I should invest in one.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Were I driving either the Hyundai or the Toy, I would probably have trash-talked the Civic's driver into trying something.
I would have then introduced him to the difference between a wanna-be tough kid and someone who actually has some training in how to fight.

Would you really... ? That's how people end up dying over nothing... not worth it.

Been there, done that, and ended up looking down the barrel of the first handgun I'd ever seen up close... ! Couple of cocky arrogant 20 year old east european lads driving a big BMW... they were kind enough not to kill me though.

Lesson learned... even if you are carrying, why risk a gunfight, or jail time for something stupid like a jerk driver.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
A couple of late teen/early 20's white boys with flat brimmed hats, baggy pants, not dressed for the weather and yes, I'm stereotyping.

Its sad to see this exists in Canada too.
crackmeup2.gif

Yes, apparently a continent-wide disgrace.

I wonder how many of these white guys realize what the drooping pants actually means...well inside
the prison walls anyhow...
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Possibly idiots? You're too kind.

Haaa.

I thought that was the Canadian good natured
politeness at work.

Exactly that good sirs
thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

It's idiots like this that make the insurance on my Civic so high! Seriously! I actually pay more for insurance on my Civic than I do on my Corvette! ($166 a month for the Civic, the Corvette is $114)

Things like this are why I purchased a dash cam. Cheap insurance for if (when?) I get in an accident.

On a side note I want to say not ALL civic drivers are terrible. I've had mine (yes it's tuned up, no I don't drive like an idiot) for 6 years now and its a great little car. I put some money into it so it handles better and has some decent power now and I really enjoy it. So there's at least one rice rocket out with with a non a-hole driver!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back