Car Battery Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am looking to replace an older Automotive battery, and with more and more options these days I am looking for a battery that will have a long service life on my car.

I have a 2006 G35, with a stock stereo, just upgraded deck. And an aftermarket alarm, DEI remote start w/couple extra sensors. So nothing too parasitic of a draw during off times. I have a low to low-moderate vibration drive quality. The temperatures in Western WA is mild. 20-30 lowest winters, and 95-100 hottest summers. With an average of probably around 50-55 year round. I drive the car every other day or so. Switching off from it, and the bike.

AGM, Lead Acid, Lithium Iron Phosphate, Lithium Ion, Gel filled. That's most I can think of.

With all the variables of my batteries expected conditions; I am looking for guidance on what to go for. I am looking mainly for long service life, and hopefully low discharge. Weight isnt of main concern, and cost will be taken into account with service life length.

Advance Auto Parts has coupon codes for $50 off orders of $125+ - Use coupon code WD57 at checkout. These batteries are made by Johnson Control and are some of the best around.

Get the biggest one that will fit in the hole and bolt up!

Here is where you find the most up to date coupon codes.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com?c=6672633

Here is the battery you want - Group size 35 - 640 CCA, 3 year free replacement warranty.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-gold-battery-group-size-35-640-cca-35-2/2130004-P

Advanced Auto Autocraft Gold or AutoZone Duralast Gold....

The AGM batteries are nice, but not worth the price...

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Advanced Auto Autocraft Gold or AutoZone Duralast Gold....

The AGM batteries are nice, but not worth the price...

Why not? You can buy them at Advance Auto using coupon codes, and they are rated to last up to 3X longer than a traditional battery. If long life is the main focus for the OP, I'd think an Optima should at least be worth a hard look.

Unless something has changed, the Optima batteries were junk last i heard since they shipped off the factories to Mexico. The older made in USA Optimas used to last forever, the newer ones only last 3+ years just like a regular flooded cell.

Definitely not anything lithium. It probably wouldn't work since it requires special charging circuitry and you would create a great fire hazard in your engine compartment as well.

Just get the cheapest regular lead - acid battery you can find. They typically last for eight years or more and chances are that you will sell your car before it needs replacement. As long as you avoid deep drains, regular lead - acid batteries are as good as AGM or gel lead - acid batteries and sometimes even better depending on the brand; however, they don't survive deep drains.

Walmart EverStart MAXX batteries have been Consumer Reports best buys for many years.

I would get(and do buy for all 3 Asian vehicles in my signature) the AutoCraft GOLD group24F-6. It's $11 cheaper at 126.99 instead of the group35 which is $137.99. And will fit in your battery space(*measure first). The grp 24F-6 is also STRONGER @ 700/875 instead of 640/800. And you'll still qualify for the $50 off!
laugh.gif

The width is the same on both batteries but the length/height on the 24F-6 is larger by 1"... Just a better value!

Last edited:
They may not have one in your size, but the Odyssey brand, not optima but odyssey brand, completely different than optima are very good. Quite expensive but very very good. They are sealed lead acid, and very high cranking amps. Supposedly the plates are compressed in the case and they are very vibration immune. The do last on farm trucks and motorcycles.

Rod

buy biggest heaviest lead-acid wet cell battery that will fit from either Costco or Walmart. They have decent 3 or 4 year full replacement warranties. Pro-rated "fine-print" warranties are worthless once you understand how they work.

Originally Posted By: AcidRR
Hi, I am looking to replace an older Automotive battery, and with more and more options these days I am looking for a battery that will have a long service life on my car.

I have a 2006 G35, with a stock stereo, just upgraded deck. And an aftermarket alarm, DEI remote start w/couple extra sensors. So nothing too parasitic of a draw during off times. I have a low to low-moderate vibration drive quality. The temperatures in Western WA is mild. 20-30 lowest winters, and 95-100 hottest summers. With an average of probably around 50-55 year round. I drive the car every other day or so. Switching off from it, and the bike.

AGM, Lead Acid, Lithium Iron Phosphate, Lithium Ion, Gel filled. That's most I can think of.

With all the variables of my batteries expected conditions; I am looking for guidance on what to go for. I am looking mainly for long service life, and hopefully low discharge. Weight isnt of main concern, and cost will be taken into account with service life length.

The MAXX at Walmart. Its rather very well by Consumer Reports. Made by JCI last time I looked.

Apparently, the one to avoid (AGM) is the Duralast Platinum. Consumer Reports' most recent battery tests found that a number of samples - at least five - failed very quickly. This was while they still had good things to say about the DL flooded cell batteries. The platinum happens to be cheaper by at least $25 when compared to other AGM batteries. So, needless to say, I was disappointed.

FWIW I had one of those "sub par" Optima Red Tops in my 89 Accord, a car that placed the battery in a very hot location. The first Red Top lasted six years in that car and the second (purchased in 2008) was still fine in 2012 when I totaled the car. I never had a flooded battery last more than three years in that vehicle.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Advance Auto Parts has coupon codes for $50 off orders of $125+ - Use coupon code WD57 at checkout. These batteries are made by Johnson Control and are some of the best around.

+1 I've had good experiences with AAP batteries.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Just get the cheapest regular lead - acid battery you can find. They typically last for eight years or more and chances are that you will sell your car before it needs replacement.

*rolls eyes*

You do realize battery longevity is largely dependent on local climate?. THREE years is typical here in Texas, unless the vehicle is garage kept.

We service a lot of G35s, and we generally use the Exide or Sears Platinum AGM batteries. They have very low resistance when tested, and from what we've seen, outlast the conventional batteries...at least in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back