Pickup Trucks: 2wd vs 4wd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at new trucks recently (mid-size: Chevrolet Colorado, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier), and it's interesting that all three offer 2wd and 4wd versions of their trucks, and quite a bit of money can be saved going the 2wd route.

My current pickup (a Ranger) has 2wd, and with rare exception, I've never needed 4wd. It seems to be an option that most people would use infrequently, if at all, in real world use.

Negating resale value... is there a case to be made for 4wd over 2wd? Seems maintenance and repairs would be cheaper with 2wd, and gas mileage would be better. I'm having a hard time justifying why I would want to pay to add 4wd.

If you live in Canada, and have winter, then 4WD is useful. The northern states too.

For the rest of the places (excepting Russia/Siberia) unless you are into mudding/off-roading, I think the usefulness would be limited.

Unless you do a lot of driving in the snow I'd save your money. Even then common sense and skill will serve you well. I drove a 2wd s10 for years in the snow and never had any problems. A few hundred pounds of sand bags in the bed is helpful in those situations.

Last edited:
I live in New England, but I can work from home when the weather is nasty. The likelihood that I'd be out in a storm is very low. And I don't go off roading or mudding.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Unless you do a lot of driving in the snow I'd save your money. Even then common sense and skill will serve you well. I drove a 2wd s10 for years in the snow and never had any problems.

I agree, I haven't had any problems with my Ranger. Tires have a lot to do with that too. My General Grabbers have been excellent in this crummy winter weather.

It's not my only vehicle but my F150 2wd suits me fine. When shopping used, 2WD vehicles show less rust.

Remember a 4WD in RWD mode has more junk up front and a worse weight balance, and doesn't exactly replicate how much traction a 2WD would have.

Living in Minnesota, I've owned both 2wd and 4wd trucks. Living in the cities, a 2wd truck is doable. Outside of town, its not as easy. At this point, you couldn't pay me enough to go back to 2wd.

If resale means anything, the 4x4 will carry better resale value, particularly in the more snow prone states. A local Ford dealership has over 250 F150's in stock. Guess how many are 2wd? None.

The folks I know with 2wd inevitably find themselves stuck in winter. That is until they park them or add winter tires.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider

I agree, I haven't had any problems with my Ranger. Tires have a lot to do with that too. My General Grabbers have been excellent in this crummy winter weather.

Why are you replacing that ranger? Looks like a fairly late model before Ford ended the Ranger line (RIP).

Originally Posted By: sicko

Why are you replacing that ranger? Looks like a fairly late model before Ford ended the Ranger line (RIP).

I'm not sure I'm replacing anything yet... but my Ranger is a standard cab model, and I could really use a crew cab at this point. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be considering trading in my truck.

I think it all depends on how much snow you get and how well the roads are plowed....

Where I am I don't think I'd want a 2WD truck. Something about very light rear end with RWD screams either "let's get stuck" or "lets swap ends".

In 4WD, I know the F150 is a bit harder to get to swap ends (tested in an empty snowy parking lot) than in 2WD mode, especially empty. The difference is not that great but there is a difference.

It does add a little sense of security that it's harder to get stuck when it snows and that alone can be worth it if you get a lot of snow where you are. The same can be said for car AWD systems.

However this illustrates why I'd not get a 2WD truck. We're in upstate NY this weekend for a wine weekend. Most of the wineries we are visiting are not plowed well - coating of snow/slush/etc. Got behind a 2WD Escape at the one and he needed 3 tries of running starts to make it up the slight hill on the way out. Us in the truck in 4WD and those with AWD SUV's had 0 issues. We even offered to pull him up but he had no tow hooks.

I had a 4WD Explorer - maintenance wasn't much more than a 2WD and the maintenance on the wife's Escape and the AWD Taurus has not been significantly more expensive.

Can't speak on MPG but I've heard 1 MPG less for the 4WD. Not enough to concern yourself about, IMHO.

Unless I was a hunter, or had other, significant mud-bog style off-road use, or lived in fairly extreme winter conditions, I'd stay with 2wd and honest to gosh snow tires. Not all-terrain tires. Snow tires.

I ski every winter weekend in an f-150 with Blizzaks. No problem. Its hard to be sure, but I'm fairly certain I have more traction than most 4x4 with lesser rubber.

The exploitative pricing of the 4x4 option ($4500 f-150 Ford) makes the choice very easy for me.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Unless you do a lot of driving in the snow I'd save your money. Even then common sense and skill will serve you well. I drove a 2wd s10 for years in the snow and never had any problems.

From what I can see that looks like a nice truck you have. Ultimately it's your money and your choice on whether you get 4wd or not. But if it's something you wouldn't have any need for 364 days out of the year saving your money for something else would be prudent imo. Maybe a good set of winter tires.

We call 2WD with limited slip the poor mans 4 wheel drive.

With a pavement base,good snow tires and some driving skills you can go where the 4X4 go. Break out the chains and you can go about anywhere. Putting on chains sucks, and they do beat the truck up if snow is not deep. For a few times a year, I can do without the initial cost, more fuel consumption, and extra maintenance expense. I have had to use chains only once in 20 years, but when you need them you need them bad

Rod

I keep my vehicles a long time. Taking the additional cost of 4WD and spreading that cost out over the time I own the vehicle it is well worth it. At least for me. IMO a 4WD PU is easier to sell where I live and you get more money for it.

If I'm buying a truck, it's going to have 4wd. No ifs ands or buts. If money is a concern then save up a little longer or check less option boxes.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
We call 2WD with limited slip the poor mans 4 wheel drive.

With a pavement base,good snow tires and some driving skills you can go where the 4X4 go. Break out the chains and you can go about anywhere.
I disagree. Chains may help on ice but a 2wd truck with a locked axle is still completely useless in sand with a trailer or steep hills with softball sized rocks. I'll put my 4x4 with open diffs up against a 2wd with lockers any day

In the Imperial War Museum in London, there's a Long Range Desert Group truck in unrestored condition, as recovered from the Libyan desert.

I think its one of the best exhibits, evocative, sand-on-the-sump stylee.

I think its a Chevy with the cab-top cut off. 2WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back