Oil usage on RAV4 higher now with 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 RAV4 4 cyl with 60K miles. I have used 5w-20 dino all its life until this fall. My oil usage over 5000 miles was about 1/2 quart. Decided to switch to M1, 0W-20 synthetic in December. I have 1300 miles on the oil and its down about 5/8ths quart. Would synthetic or zero weight oil make that much difference? I like the synthetic as it starts better in the cold of Minnesota but I am not liking burning it at this rate.

I would give it a couple of OCI's with the synthetic to see if the usage levels off.
It's not unusual to have some usage when switching brands/chemistries of oil.

M1 0w20 is an excellent oil and a bargain at WM prices.

I always experience consumption when switching brands since the introduction of SN. Top it off and keep and eye on it; the level should stabilize. If not go back to what you were using. There's not one person on this forum that will have an oil related engine failure.

It's not unusual for an engine to use a little oil when switching brands. I'd stick with the Mobil 1 0W-20 for a while longer and monitor things through a warmer climate. IF your engine continues to burn oil, then try a 5W-20 or 5W-30 during the summer. Some engines with 60K can have the wear and tear of one with 100K on it, so a high mileage oil might be worth considering after a longer trial period of 0W-20.

Some Toyota owners are using 0W-20 in the winter and a 0 or 5W-30 synthetic in the summer.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
consumption when switching brands

Also 0w-20 is going to be a tad more volatile over time so expect more than 5-20, but only make the call after a few OCIs

0w-20 does seem really thin when you shake a bottle.

I noticed there was a few types of 0w-20 on sale at Walmart. I wonder if it is falling out of favor?

60k miles is really low mileage to start burning oil. Hmmm...you could always go back to dino oil or go with a heavier weight? I would normally say to look at a HM oil, but it just seems to soon for that.

If its truly burning / consuming oil its not because the oil its thinner, its not that much thinner than the 5w20 to make such a marked difference. Its probably the difference in add pack / chemistry's of the two oils. As others have said, just top off and go your usual OCI and see if the consumption levels off. I am running M1 AFE 0w20 in my Accord (never ran M1 in it until this fill) and it has not consumed any noticeable amount over 3500 miles. *knocks on wood*

You'll have a lot of people post on here who are adamant that it's something else, but it's happened to many of us when switching to M1. Don't know what causes it, but it goes away very quickly (rarely does it continue to consume after the second OCI). M1 is an excellent oil, so continue to use it with confidence. Just keep an eye on it and keep it topped up. It should slow down and stop consuming relatively quickly.

Keep doing what you're doing, the 0w20 is much better for the cold starts in your climate.

It may get better later or it might not but a little oil consumption is nothing compared to reduced engine wear.

Originally Posted By: sicko
You'll have a lot of people post on here who are adamant that it's something else, but it's happened to many of us when switching to M1.

Bingo. It's not the 0w20 IMO. Dino to Mobil 1 = consumption. But it will most likely taper off and quit after a while.

I have used M1 0-20 for several years now and neither Ford uses any oil in 10K OCIs.

Last edited:
I dont understand most advice on here..after one oil change swapping from dino to syn and some are saying to go back to 5w20, or use HM oil? The PCV idea is worth looking but its highly doubtful with 60k miles. I changed mine at 100k miles but I am confident old one is still good. When I switch oil types I see some oil being used but it steadys off quick. Use the same oil for same interval as this one and see if it uses less. On your 2nd or 3rd change id say your usage will drop if not go away altogether. My usage when switching from M1 0w20 to Pennz ultra 5w20 uses about 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart. On my 2nd fill, it had gone down to maybe 1/4 quart and now i dont see any usage.If on your 3rd OCI, you still have similar usage than check other things.

Summary:

Most of the prudent advice suggests to stay the course with Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic and that its typical for an engine to initially use a little oil when upgrading from conventional to a synthetic product.

Checking the PCV system is standard maintenance on any engine with 60,000 miles.

2.2 D4D engine? Ask your toyota dealer to check your VIN...mybe they will replace your engine under warranty
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back