Hard hit for Kyle Busch

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just his the inside wall at Daytona really hard. Looks to be no SAFER barrier there. It was the section of the infield you would normally hit if you missed the first turn of the road course. I am by no means a Kyle Busch fan, but I hope he is ok. It looks like he was hurt in the accident. I hate seeing drivers injured, will be praying for his recovery.

Hope he is okay also.
Not a fan of his either.
He is a good driver that could be a great driver with some self discipline.
Same thing for his brother.
Either way, not a good weekend for the Busch Bros.

Latest reports say he was taken directly to the hospital in Daytona, and skipped the infield care center. When he was on the stretcher his right leg didn't look good.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I wonder how Regan Smith is. Heard he rolled it. Was driving Kurts car.

He is driving Kurt's 41 HAAS Automation car tomorrow in the Daytona 500. Today was the XFinity series race at Daytona so Regan was driving the JR Motorsports Hellman's Camaro.

He was ok BTW, they interviewed him when he left the infield care center and he tweeted he was ok soon after.

Originally Posted By: mulehead
He has a broken leg for sure he was lucky that he hit with front driver side would've been alot worse

So many drivers lives have been saved thanks to the HANS device and Hutchinson device. I saw reports of counterfeit Hutchinson devices on the market, made my blood boil.

Sad thing kyle petty used it for years and quit using it . Impo if Adam petty and several others they would still be here

Daytona Speedway owners should be kicked in the balls for not having Safer Barriers on EVERY wall. NO excuse. I hope Kyle does not have life changing injuries.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Daytona Speedway owners should be kicked in the balls for not having Safer Barriers on EVERY wall. NO excuse. I hope Kyle does not have life changing injuries.

Then NASCAR has to do it to themselves. Daytona International Speedway is owned by International Speedway Corporation. ISC's CEO is Jim France who is an Executive VP for NASCAR. Shame on NASCAR for spending money on new stands over improving safety.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: oldhp

Then NASCAR has to do it to themselves. Daytona International Speedway is owned by International Speedway Corporation. ISC's CEO is Jim France who is an Executive VP for NASCAR. Shame on NASCAR for spending money on new stands over improving safety.

Yes, SHAME on NASCAR/ISC for new stands(and less seats)and not installing Safer Barriers.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
So nobody noticed this wall until after the crash?

It was one of those "what are the odds a car will crash here" kind of things. There was another accident starting the last lap where Kyle Larson went spinning off towards the same wall, but he saved it.

Latest is Kyle has a compound fracture to his right leg, and a broken left foot. He is out indefinitely.

Kyle's season is effectively over due to the negligence of NASCAR. It's 2015. How does this happen?

Yeah, we need to add some more restrictions on the engines to slow these 'race cars' down some more, and maybe add some rubber bumpers around the sides of the cars to protect these 'race car drivers' even more. It's a dangerous 'sport' for cryin out loud. IIRC Bill Elliot turned a qualifying lap in 1986 at over 212 mph. The Hans device and safer barriers are all great safety innovations, but all these restrictions that slow the cars down is the main reason why attendance has dropped. Nose to tail racing for 199 laps is hard to watch on TV, let alone the time and expense to attend a race in person.

The last 20 laps of the 500 were exciting. They were running 3-wide at least 8 rows deep for about 15 of those laps, and many drivers were making outstanding saves. Too bad Logano won in a F---. (Can't say it.
smile.gif
)

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Yeah, we need to add some more restrictions on the engines to slow these 'race cars' down some more, and maybe add some rubber bumpers around the sides of the cars to protect these 'race car drivers' even more. It's a dangerous 'sport' for cryin out loud. IIRC Bill Elliot turned a qualifying lap in 1986 at over 212 mph. The Hans device and safer barriers are all great safety innovations, but all these restrictions that slow the cars down is the main reason why attendance has dropped. Nose to tail racing for 199 laps is hard to watch on TV, let alone the time and expense to attend a race in person.

I really don't think anyone (on here) is calling for slower/safer cars. the call is for there to be the softer "safer barriers" all the way around, all sides, all tracks.
before adding in new bleachers and nacho vendors.
esp at ISC owned tracks, as ISC and NASCAR are run by enough of the same people, they are practically the same company.(not legally, or technically, but...)

and i'm all for them going faster, and getting the race done sooner, but these current speeds are within ~40mph of turning enough G's to be approaching the limits of human survivability:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/116/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back