Fuel pump problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1993 Toyota Corolla 150,000 miles on it.

The daughter started having issues with it last week. When she came to a stop light, it started hesitating. She pulled over and called me. I came and the car was able to start right up no problems.
I took it the next day to Auto Zone but they said they could not hook their machine up to it because no engine lights were on.

She drove it for a week, then the same thing happen to her on Thursday night.
She was able to wait ten minutes and then start it up and drive home. I started it but it did not want to start and was hesitating. I was able to drive it for another 30 minutes. It only had a ¼ of a tank of gas in it. I put in some techron fuel cleaner and drove it around. It was fine. The next day, it would not start.
I got a new fuel filter and put it on but it still will not start. The battery is brand new. It sounds like the fuel pump is working.
What do you suggest I do next?

YOu need to test the pump for flow. It's probably a one line with no return system (check the shop manual) with ECU control of pump speed.

How do I test the pump for flow? There is a banjo bolt at the fuel rain. I'm kinda afraid I might catch the engine on fire.

Sometimes if the fuel pump is sitting in a well at the bottom of the tank you can hit (tap) that area of the tank with a rubber mallet while someone is trying to start the car. It's a cheap and dirty test that I'd do first.

not to discount what anyone else has suggested, but it sounds like what i was going through a few years back, and mine turned out to be a coil pack failing.

Just putting that out there as a secondary if the fuel pump doesn't do it.

I'm waiting for the wife to get home. I'm going to try to spraying in some starter fluid while she tries to start it. If it starts then the fuel pump could be the problem. If it does not then it might be the spark.

Well I got my wife trying to start the car. I took off the air cleaner and sprayed starter fluid down the throttle body. It still would not start. I'm thinking that it is now some type of electrical problem.

Keep us posted man. Check for spark and if that's good it may be the ecu. I had that happen a few years back on an older altima. Real pita

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wheel
Cam or crank position sensor ? Does it have any electrics that control the spark ?

The car would probably use the signal from a distributor in a fixed position, then the ECU would time the spark and trigger the fuel injection.

The thing that really sucks is that the whole distributor often needs replacement. When that happens, typically you either pay a huge price for an OEM unit, or get a rebuild that only lasts one year.

Yea, I'm thinking it's some type of electrical problem. I'm thinking of towing it to my mechanic to fix. I may have it towed to the dealership and have the timing belt replaced at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back