A stressful day

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday was my most stressful day ever.

First, spent 6 hours in the simulator. For those that haven't done airline training, "the sim" is a stress filled box where pilots have unending emergencies of every type for 2+ hours at a time. It's generally more difficult to fly than the real plane and you are constantly under scrutiny for the smallest error. My sim partner had problems and will have to retrain. As for me, had to wait awhile for another pilot, but, type ride (a certification required when you fly a new airliner [insert regulations here]) complete.

So exiting the sim after 3pm, I see I have a several phone messages. First one is the property manager for our rental home in VA. Climate: rarely below 25F in the winter, and then only a few days each year. So Thursday night it was -8F, which is very uncommon. Despite reminding the renters at least 6 times in the last year that the pipes freeze up when it is below 25 for more than a few hours and to run the water, they failed to do so and the pipes are frozen. So I spent 45 minutes with the property manager to have this issue taken care of. It remains to be seen if the pipes have actually burst or not.

Wow.

Oh wait, we're not done yet.

Next messages are from the body shop. About 10 days ago, in a mostly unlit parking area at the hotel here in Houston, I backed into a parking space and the right rear corner of the F150 contacted the angled wall where it was closest to the parking space. Daylight photos:

aUlGr6r.jpg

And the bumper got pushed in.

HnUdNms.jpg

OK so no biggie, new bumper, plastic pieces and some paint work. They called to say it was "done" last Monday so I went by to pick it up. But had a bit of an issue with them saying they replaced the old bumper. They said they did, but I had marked the inside of it and called [censored] on them for that; they then agreed to fix it with a new part as we had originally discussed. So they called Thursday afternoon and said I could pick it up yesterday.

So I have two messages from two different guys at the body shop.

Both asked if I had picked up the truck.

So I call them back and they can't find the truck, it's missing off the lot.

Nice. Inside job or not, the truck is stolen.

Hooray.

Police and insurance called and the clock is ticking. Houston PD says if it's not found within 72 hours it's gone-gone. So as of now I'm loosely shopping for a new vehicle, which will change to intent to buy Monday at 5pm CST. Oh, did I mention that there is some follow up training which will finish on Tuesday and then I'll be driving from Houston to Memphis?

To answer your question, yes, there in fact were drinks involved last night!!

Sure wish I hadn't left that case of Amsoil in the rear seat area....

Last edited:
A De'Longhi oil filled heater (looks like an old steam radiator) has an anti-freeze setting, I have one in my outside storage unit because of the hot water heater there...

Set her on 600 or 900 watts (depends on room size)(not on 1500, breaker may blow) and it gets left year round...

Only the De'Longhi heaters have the anti-freeze (*) setting, so make sure not to get another name brand...

Last edited:
holy crackers - that is a bad day. Hope it works out for the best for you...stay chill and safe.

Kuato, if the tone of your post is any indication, and unless you've left out any unseemly details, good job handling all that.

Hope things take a turn for the better for you.

I'm happy that you did not have to retrain! The rest will work itself out.

As many/most young folks we were renters and know how many renters behave. Later on , as landlords we had pretty decent tenants, but never really cared for it and were glad to later sell and leave that world. Hope things settle down for you.

That sounds like a pretty stressful day indeed. Your Ford truck should have built in GPS that can be used to track it, I'm surprised they can't find it. Yeah I would be having a few drinks myself right about now were I in your shoes.

What airliner/jet do you fly ?

Hopefully you get everything straightened out. The dishonest repair shop is probably behind the theft since you made them look bad by catching them in a lie and called them out.

Don't be too hard on the tenants for the -8 thing, it's been crackers. Sorry about your truck, I figure if gear head tool got his car back you might too!
wink.gif

Reads like you're being a real trooper about the whole thing. If I had to guess, your training (and training, and training, and training) prepares you for the worst, so your mind hastens toward the solution and doesn't dwell on the problem.

What I'm trying to say is, this is a pretty weak bit of venting for such a pain in the butt set of events.
13.gif

Lucky I wish someone would steal my truck. I had pipes burst the other day in my one POS rental house because the tenants shut that bathroom off to "save heat". Made a mess, I had to shopvac about 20 gallons of water out of the garage as it was freezing.

Thanks everyone. Truck was recovered, over 13k in damage and at least one flat spotted rim from some idiot taking curbs at speed. It's a testament to the BF Goodrich All Terrain tires from the factory that they still looked good after the curbs.

aqEmiub.jpg

LTHVyKs.jpg

WJTtLB0.jpg

The stealership is buying me out at more than I paid for it 14 months and 18000 miles ago. I consider it one in the "W" column, but it was a pyrrhic victory.

At least the little mother [censored] that stole it left their PS3 inside when they ran for it.

Last edited:
Glad it... had... a happy ending?

What happened? Cops came after the thief and he ran?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Thanks everyone.

At least the little **** that stole it left their PS3 inside when they ran for it.

That PS3 is probably also stolen.

Suddenly my day seems like a cakewalk after reading of yours.

Glad it all worked out.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Glad it... had... a happy ending?

What happened? Cops came after the thief and he ran?

Thief wrecked it to undrivable condition and left it . Cops found it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back