Oil for 1993 Bronco 351 Windsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just picked up a '93 Bronco EB with 247,000 miles on the ticker, and I love it! Did a full tune up on her last weekend, but now I need to replace the fluids this weekend. What oil recommendation would the BITOG community make for me? I do not know the maintenance history of the vehicle. I was thinking maybe some Maxlife full synthetic or blend 5W-30, or maybe Mobil AFE 5W-30 or M1 HM 5W-30. This will be used as my daily most likely. My commute consists of quite a few short trips, with a 100 mile round trip once a week. TIA!

And I will be using Motorcraft FL-1A filters as I have quite a stockpile from the various small block Fords we have owned.

Do you know the maintenance history on it? Are you planning to do a short OCI to clean it out some, or are you going to put some oil in and keep it in for a normal OCI?

If it were my vehicle, I'd go with the MaxLife synthetic or maybe the Pennzoil HM to give it a try. But that's just based on my preference for MaxLife, and the fact that I'd like to give Pennzoil HM a try at some point.

I have used MaxLife and DEFY in the Firebird FORMULA listed in my signature! I do like the DEFY better by a slim margin due to it's extra ZINC and quieter operation. But, both would be a good start as would the M1HM or PHM...or any HM oil to start. You pick!

And since you don't know the maintenance history of the 351W, you may want to do 2 or 3 quick OCI's(<3K) with something less expensive such as Super Tech from Walmart or some PEAK Oil on sale. But, this is just me!

What does the manual require?

I would probably run a dino 10w30, which is what im doing in my 364ci.

You going to go completely through it? Trans, psf, coolant, brake fliud, battery water, diff

In reality, any name brand high mileage 5w-30/10w-30 would be a great starting point. I'm not a brand loyal type of a guy but I do try to stick with name brands (does that make sense?)

Let's see 1993 would have speced an SG rated oil back then?

I had a 93 F250 with a 351 in it. I got it at 110,000 miles and sold it a 220,000 miles. I normally ran 10w30 Motorcraft Oil with FL1A filter. I never used any high mileage oil of any kind.

My favourite oil for a Windsor is M1 0w-40. Probably a bit overkill, but if you can get it for the same price as the other oils, it is an excellent choice.

Another option is Castrol's euro 0w-30. Similar to the Mobil 0w-40 but a little thinner.

Both have elevated levels of AW additives over your typical SN PCMO and while not necessary in this application, I do believe it is still flat tappet, so it isn't going to hurt.

Will this one be the smaller Ranger sized truck?

Either way, it sounds like an awesome ride. I have always liked the Bronco. Since you live down south, it should be pretty rust free too.
wink.gif

I would probably lean towards a 10w30 too. Any quality HM oil will work wonders. I recommended the Maxlife or Pennzoil HM.

The MC FL1A sounds like an excellent filter choice. Cheap too!

Ok, just to let you guys know, I changed the oil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and changed the antifreeze, and the thermostat this weekend. Interestingly enough, it had a 160 degree thermostat in it, but I put the OEM 195 degree one back in it.

I chose Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 blend for this oil change. Will probably drain it in a month or two, repeat with Maxlife again, and see what happens after that. I do agree with a few of you guys, in that a couple 2k OCIs would be a good idea to clean her up a little inside. I'm leaning towards AFE 0W-30, or M1 0W-40, currently. I do not believe that the Bronco burns any oil, and I know that it doesn't leak any oil, so that's good.

And for those of you who asked, yes I am planning on changing all fluids in the next month as I have time. Transmission fluid and filter is next, followed by new brake fluid when I change the front pads and rotors, followed by the oil in the diffs. Am I missing anything else, guys?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Will this one be the smaller Ranger sized truck?

Either way, it sounds like an awesome ride. I have always liked the Bronco. Since you live down south, it should be pretty rust free too.
wink.gif

I would probably lean towards a 10w30 too. Any quality HM oil will work wonders. I recommended the Maxlife or Pennzoil HM.

The MC FL1A sounds like an excellent filter choice. Cheap too!

No, this a full size Bronco, so it's essentially a shortened F150 SUV! And yes, you guessed correctly, it is almost rust free! Only rust is on the tailgate, and from what I have read, that is pretty common. You could eat off of the frame if you wanted too haha

Hi Austinlunsford - We recommend our Quaker State Defy Synthetic Blend 10W-30 High Mileage Motor Oil for your 1993 Ford Bronco. Our Quaker State Defy is formulated with extra-wear additives to help stop wear on worn engine parts and has Seal conditioners blended into the oil to help reduce oil leakage. It is also formulated to the higher-end of the viscosity range to help improve engine sealing, to increase compression and reduce blow-by.

Our Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 Motor Oil would be a good choice as well. It is also formulated with extra wear-additives that targets high temperature and high-wear surfaces where they are needed the most, while still being friendly to catalytic converters and others emission control equipment. - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back