0W20 Toyota oil requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does anybody know what is so special about the current "0W20 ONLY" Toyota Camry oil requirement? I just got 2015 Camry that has only this oil specified, and I wanted to switch to 5W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic to quiet down the cold stat piston slap that is apparently "normal" for this engine. I hate the slap, and while taking the delivery of this car I tested 2 other Camry's on the lot, and they also had the slap. The service manager said this is part of the design and not a problem. I bought the car anyway, but hate the piston slap and want to quiet it down.

Toyotas sold in Europe and Australia allow oils up to 10W40 in their manual. Same car, same engine. So why US cars require 0W20 only? Are the engines made for US market made differently?

The EPA fuel mileage is claimed with 0W20 oil in the engine, and it was the only oil test in that engine for North America market. You can use any 0W20 API SN oil, you don't have to use Toyota 0W20 for warranty purpose. After warranty you can try Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 if you want.

^^+1 I'd stick with 0W20 during the warranty. Try experimenting with different brands to see if one quiets the engine more than another.

Last edited:
I've used a 0w30 in my 2010 camry but the noise was still there. I've had 3 oil analysis done now with 75k on car and very low wear metals showed up. Use s 0w20 with confidence.

The engine isn't direct injected, is it? I find some of those systems sound a bit like piston slap, if so it won't matter what oil you're going to put in...you'll still hear it.

The Toyota oil is widely considered to be a great oil, I have it in my Lexus right now, but I couldn't tell you the difference compared to any of the other oils I've used in it in the past (Valvoline, M1). And my engine is direct injected...every oil I've put in sounds the same (some light noise at idle).

Southern location... 5w20, 0w30, 5w30, and even 10w30 full synth will work fine. Mine have had plenty of 0w40 too.

If you're not looking for every extra .01 mpg, then use whatever full synth oil grade you want.

Don't let the warranty fear mongering scare you. Oil level and maintenance interval are more important.

You can even run a conventional or blend, with a shorter interval.

No, only 0w20 in the manual. It does allow 5w20 but says you have to change it to 0w20 during the next oil change

Originally Posted By: tireguy99
I've used a 0w30 in my 2010 camry but the noise was still there. I've had 3 oil analysis done now with 75k on car and very low wear metals showed up. Use s 0w20 with confidence.

Instead of 0w30 try 5w30 - higher viscosity when engine is cold helps reduce or eliminate piston slap.

Originally Posted By: dkrivosheyev
Originally Posted By: tireguy99

Instead of 0w30 try 5w30 - higher viscosity when engine is cold helps reduce or eliminate piston slap.

It cannot eliminate piston slap, which is excessive clearance between the piston and cylinder wall. A heavier oil isn't going to change that. It may however further muffle it.

Yes, this is true, the heavier oil will just muffle it. I changed to 5w30 M1 and the noise is practically gone.

I did test drive 2 other new Camry's and one Rav4 yesterday and they had the same piston slap as mine on the factory fill oil. Does Toyota put 0w20 in at the factory?

I emailed Toyota Customer care asking why 0W20 is the only oil recommended in the U.S. while other countries allow 5W30, 10W30 etc. Here is their response. Not very helpful:

Recently you contacted Toyota. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Engine oil question

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Tina I.) 02/25/2015 09:52 AM

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

Congratulations on the purchase of your new 2015 Camry! We appreciate the opportunity to address your synthetic oil inquiry.

We apologize; we do not have any information on the engine used or recommended oil types for the 2015 Camry vehicles in Russia. Our engines are built per U.S. specifications and the 0W-20 synthetic oil is the only oil recommended for use in our 2015 Camry.

We understand that this limits your oil options and apologize for any frustration or inconvenience this may cause you.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Tina Iguchi
Toyota Customer Experience

Discussion Thread
Customer By Web Form 02/23/2015 08:10 AM
Hello,

I just purchased new 2015 Camry and have a question about 0W20 engine oil requirement listed in the owners manual. I am a mechanical engineer and just curious why 0W20 is the only oil recommended for 2AR-FE 2.5L engine in the US? The owners manual for Camry sold in Europe and Russia allows the use of other oils such as 5W30, 10W30, etc. Why American Camry is 0W20 only? Is the engine sold in North America different from the one sold in Europe?
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back