Cold Prep and freezing windshield washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some green -45C Laurentide windshield washer/de-icer.
At speed it will just flash freeze like all the others. Didn't ford make electrically heated windshields at one time?

I buy Prestone WW fluid that is pee colored. I run it year round as I do not want to have leftover blue stuff in the reservoir come Nov. Using Prestone year round might cost an extra $1.00 per year per vehicle.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
One time when I was overseas I had to use a bottle of vodka to keep us going down the road. Yes, I shed a little tear when I poured it in...

Crystal Palace vodka is cheaper than rubbing alcohol.

Only sold in 1/2 pint and pints so it easily fits in a small paper bag.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: eljefino
The methanol evaporates out of blue windshield fluid, rendering it worse.

It's especially fun when it flash freezes on your windscreen glass before the wipers get it.

My owners manual it says to use washer fluid on a heated windshield.

I don't like running the defroster on the windshield. Then it gets warm and everything freezes on it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is the stuff:
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjZGnBRCOuJOUo9Xd0sUBEiQAPbicNxNNWVOqioO3MVV-ZS0coVtN5ue9dbDMlahe_StErdYaAt-D8P8HAQ&item_code=RCD35-204QS&cm_mmc=PPC:%20Google%20PLA-_-PLA%20Campaign-_-PLA%20Ad%20Group-_-PLA&ef_id=Uml9@gAABALr4kMO:20150218174358:s

198648d1296596783-why-is-my-car-peeing-neon-yellow-stuff-washer-fluid-rainx.jpg

I don't even see it on the RainX site
21.gif

Is that a Canuck only item??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
I buy Prestone WW fluid that is pee colored. I run it year round as I do not want to have leftover blue stuff in the reservoir come Nov. Using Prestone year round might cost an extra $1.00 per year per vehicle.

I use this in season, then use just straight distilled water in the late spring/summer/early fall, so there is very little waste of coin in just pumping it out of the reservoir late fall (and NO damage to the paint in doing so).
wink.gif

Well it's supposed to hit -3F tonight, and I've got two brand new sealed jugs of windshield fluid sitting outside, one RainX 2-n-1 (-25F rated), and the other whatever blue stuff AAP was selling today (-20F rated). It's a pretty cheap experiment, and when it's done I can get 100% re-use of the raw materials.
smile.gif

If either freeze I'll post pics... and get my money back!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is the stuff:
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjZGnBRCOuJOUo9Xd0sUBEiQAPbicNxNNWVOqioO3MVV-ZS0coVtN5ue9dbDMlahe_StErdYaAt-D8P8HAQ&item_code=RCD35-204QS&cm_mmc=PPC:%20Google%20PLA-_-PLA%20Campaign-_-PLA%20Ad%20Group-_-PLA&ef_id=Uml9@gAABALr4kMO:20150218174358:s

198648d1296596783-why-is-my-car-peeing-neon-yellow-stuff-washer-fluid-rainx.jpg

I don't even see it on the RainX site
21.gif

Is that a Canuck only item??
21.gif

Maybe? I dunno. I buy it. It doesn't freeze. Works when it is -30. Maybe they figure it doesn't get cold enough down there to sell it? LOL!

Originally Posted By: Donald

That's what I get too - cheap enough from Wal-Mart and works well. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-De-Icer-Washer-Fluid/16424029

Only difference is I switch to RainX (Green) come April and buy the Prestone come September. I tend to like a clean windshield so I use enough of it.

I'll blast the windshield with the defrost for a LONG while to make sure nothing freezes. It's the only time I touch the auto climate control.

Last edited:
The blue around here has been -20, but I see there's one on our shelf now that looks the same except +32=colored water?...so have to watch out what I grab . Always something!

Can't find the low temp stuff where I'm at, at local stores (when I looked 2 years ago), I guess because we don't get much freeze/frost as temps don't regularly go to 20s much and when they do its usually not long periods.
So when I go up into/over the Sierra mountains I'll throw some Heet in the washer fluid tank as I have had my fluid freeze when I needed it before.
I did buy some -32 stuff once while I while getting up toward the area and it froze as it hit my windshield. Kept pulling over and poured the stuff across the windshield from the jug but the windshield would just re-freeze as soon as I got back on the road. Defroster on high etc. wasn't keeping it from freezing.
I have a bottle of "Shield" spray, supposed to spray it on the windshield to keep it clear when ready to go drive next morning. Haven't had a chance/need to use it since I bought it as it's been mild winters (California). Stuff looks like antifreeze in a spray bottle.
Wish they would carry a few jugs of the low temp stuff locally for times we travel into cold area's. Guess I should stash some.
The bottles of Heet I used before worked better than the -32 stuff I bought/used. So maybe, maybe not keep larger jugs of low temp stuff, I dunno.

California won't let them stock methanol windshield fluid in many counties due to the VOCs. People might accidentally use it in above freezing temps and cause smog.

Well, neither jug froze at -3F last night. Not even a crystal in either one! I expected the RainX 2-n-1 to be OK. The good blue stuff is "SPLASH (r) The Original Blue Windshield Washer Fluid". The jug that froze last year was either sub-standard, or the VOC's evaporated. I forget the brand, but there's no point in shaming them if evaporation is the real issue.

I checked the local Walmart and AAP for Prestone, or any other fluid rated at better than Rainx 2-n-1's -25F. The AAP clerk even checked for me, they had only RainX, Blue, and some 32F stuff. Walmart had only 2-n-1, that I could see, of course no help could be had there.

I am using some -35*F fluid from Menards. Its purple. The reservoir doesn't seem to freeze, but a small thin layer of frost/ ice forms on my windshield when applied while going at highway speeds. It eventually goes away though.. I just learn to live with it. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back