Odd experience at Florida Hyundai dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I took my 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring to a central Florida Hyundai dealer to have a side airbag recall done. At check in, the service writer found there was another open recall on the brake lamp switch. He told me the repairs would take two hours. BTW I was doing this as an accommodation for the Subaru dealer that's taking this car in trade later this month.

After waiting 10 minutes, I went back to the service writer to tell him there was no need in the service tech going over the whole car for any other service recommendations because I was trading in the car in 10 days on a new Subaru Outback and I was not doing any other services. He thanked me for telling him and he told the service tech.

Then after another 30 minutes, surprisingly the work was done. At least the service invoice says the work was done. Though they sometimes do it, no stickers were added to the door jamb, etc. showing the recall was completed. So 30-40 minutes actual vs. 120 minute estimate?

This made me wonder if the work was even done, and if the dealer was going to send a bogus bill to Hyundai USA for the warranty work. In any case, they were clearly going to try the old upsell routine on me before I said I was ditching the car.

Does Salv or any other Hyundai folks have any thoughts on this odd experience?

I'd say you're over thinking it. It's like when you go to a restaurant and they tell you 45 min for a table, and you're seated 10 minutes later.

personally i would rethink the subaru being in the engine business we see a lot of subarus with engine problems at low mileage. Maybe look at another Hyundai...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'd say you're over thinking it. It's like when you go to a restaurant and they tell you 45 min for a table, and you're seated 10 minutes later.

Never happened to me.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
personally i would rethink the subaru being in the engine business we see a lot of subarus with engine problems at low mileage. Maybe look at another Hyundai...

Thanks but the Outback is a 3 year/36K lease--all under warranty.

Dealers are always trying to upsell stuff. They get you in for an oil change and the first thing they do is look at your CV boots.

Techs get pretty good at certain recall repairs since they do them repetively. I wouldnt over think it, and since you are trading the car in, why even care if the repair wasn't completed?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Today I took my 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring to a central Florida Hyundai dealer to have a side airbag recall done. At check in, the service writer found there was another open recall on the brake lamp switch. He told me the repairs would take two hours. BTW I was doing this as an accommodation for the Subaru dealer that's taking this car in trade later this month.

After waiting 10 minutes, I went back to the service writer to tell him there was no need in the service tech going over the whole car for any other service recommendations because I was trading in the car in 10 days on a new Subaru Outback and I was not doing any other services. He thanked me for telling him and he told the service tech.

Then after another 30 minutes, surprisingly the work was done. At least the service invoice says the work was done. Though they sometimes do it, no stickers were added to the door jamb, etc. showing the recall was completed. So 30-40 minutes actual vs. 120 minute estimate?

This made me wonder if the work was even done, and if the dealer was going to send a bogus bill to Hyundai USA for the warranty work. In any case, they were clearly going to try the old upsell routine on me before I said I was ditching the car.

Does Salv or any other Hyundai folks have any thoughts on this odd experience?

These are safety items, if they didn't do the work and sent a bill to Hyundai USA they are violating several laws, 1 of them is mail fraud. If the car get into an accident because of brake lamp switch failed and brake light didn't work, and/or side air bag didn't activated and the result is injury or death to occupants, they will be liable for millions dollars, plus they can go to jail for this type of misdeed.

Dealers don't do this type of cheating, profit is small and risk is so high.

It's called exceeding the customer's expectations. Back when I was in the customer service industry I would always tell the customer it would take longer than it actually would. They were always happy when it happened much quicker. All my customers would rave to my boss how fast I was.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
It's called exceeding the customer's expectations. Back when I was in the customer service industry I would always tell the customer it would take longer than it actually would. They were always happy when it happened much quicker. All my customers would rave to my boss how fast I was.

Under promise, over deliver

IT world is notorious for this

Wish it was more prevaliant.

I did a throttle body grommet recall on a 5.0 Grand Marq out in the parking lot just because I didn't have any room to move it into the shop. Did it, turned in the paperwork, and 10 minutes later the service writer shows up saying the customer is throwing a hissy fit because he didn't think anything had actually been done on his car. Had to go out there and spend my valuable time showing/explaining what had been done and that yes, the work was done. Customers, go figure.

Originally Posted By: punisher
I did a throttle body grommet recall on a 5.0 Grand Marq out in the parking lot just because I didn't have any room to move it into the shop. Did it, turned in the paperwork, and 10 minutes later the service writer shows up saying the customer is throwing a hissy fit because he didn't think anything had actually been done on his car. Had to go out there and spend my valuable time showing/explaining what had been done and that yes, the work was done. Customers, go figure.

+1

All it takes is a good mechanic. Head gaskets can be 6 hours book time and a good mechanic may be able to do it in 3 hours.

Thank you for the responses. I made the original post because my nature is to be skeptical and to question almost everything. It comes from 27 years as a fraud investigator. This time, I think I overthinked it.

As someone who lived and worked in central Florida for a number of years, the feeling that you had isn't all you. The levels of deception and fraud over the most insignificant things never ceased to amaze me, unlike anywhere I have ever lived. With that said, it's probably OK and you did your best.

This wouldn't be a fraud at the Management level of a dealership, more like a lazy Tech. However, most recall repairs are pretty easy, and they do hundreds so they get very fast at them and get to the point they can do them blindfolded with one hand tied behind their back.

I'm more surprised OP was never over quoted a wait time at a restaurant!

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Thanks but the Outback is a 3 year/36K lease--all under warranty.
Calling all high priests of BITOG; please give him "the sermon"!

'This wouldn't be a fraud at the Management level of a dealership, more like a lazy Tech'.

Sooo much of that too.

They would rather quote the worst case scenario time and get you out sooner than expected than the other way around. A lot of people will flip out if anything takes any longer than expected.

I don't know if Hyundai is calling any of the switches back, but the dealer should be holding the replaced parts in case they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back