When did Hyundai/Kia become so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're looking at mid sized CUV/SUVs. I'm a bit surprised at how expensive Hyundais and Kias have become.

The Santa Fe and Sorento are pretty darn close to $40k equipped like we'd like.

The local dealer has some that are $45K

They tend to be have more features than comparably priced cars but I'm with you on this one. Once you get into the 40k-45k range for a SantaFe or Sorento I think there are better alternatives out there.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
The local dealer has some that are $45K

Dang. Our Q5 was around this much.

Looking through some more, a couple are at $46.5K

My guess, around 2010. I got a steal on my car because the redesigned 2011 model came out, but around that time I also noticed that their SUV's weren't any cheaper than, say, a Chevy Equinox. And it's gone up since then.

They're holding their value now too.

It wasn't that long ago that a Kia lost half its value as soon as it left the dealer lot.

When we were car shopping, I saw pre-owned Kia Optima SXes for around $25,000.

Is it really that much better than a similar year Malibu 3.6? 200 3.6? Fusion 3.0? Is it $9,000 better than a similar year 3.7 liter 272hp Mazda6S GT?

I didn't think so either.

But someone has been paying it.
21.gif

I just priced a Sonata and a Camry on compnny Web sites and the Sonata was only about $1000 cheaper. Gone are the good old days of Hyundai being a bargain.

John

They make great cars and suv's with the best warranties and people know this. They are nice cars compared to many of the Toyotas and honda's and even gm's quality vehicles.

Some of the cars look nice, but having sat in a bunch at the auto show recently, they also look worse for wear faster for some reason.

They have a big plant at the GA/AL line, so I hope they make lots of cars there and employ lots of folks there. The only thing useful along that I85 stretch other than the plant is Auburn University.

But having sat in all the minivans, the NEW kia van included, you could tell it was still a generation behind (including in MPG ratings), and the few innovative things they had weren't compelling enough given the pricing...

HaHa the laugh is on you did you see the new equus with the 5.0 429 hp. engine?
Not sure of the price but i know it's in the $60,000 range.. I compared that to the mercedes and Hyundai got it by a mile

My dad used to say the same thing about Honda back in the day. Companies grow and make better products that demand a higher yeild. Life.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
They make great cars and suv's with the best warranties and people know this. They are nice cars compared to many of the Toyotas and honda's and even gm's quality vehicles.

It's not so surprising for Hyundai. They've been very good on the quality of their interior materials for awhile.

Kia has become a lot better in a short amount of time. Often eclipsing their Hyundai siblings in style.

Hyundai really did try to erase it's bad quality reputation. I think they did a pretty decent job.

But they still do not have a handle on chassis tuning.

The Sonata we rented was as softly sprung as a early 2000s Buick. The answer for the sportier Optima variant? Stiffer springs. That's it It looks like a sports sedan - rides like a family car on stiff springs.

Hyundai/Kia are known to copy their designing from Honda especially. It also looks they want the Honda Price too! anyone got any pictures to back me up? I will get flamed for this by Hyundai lovers

Up until about 10 years ago, I thought their powertrains were pretty much Mitsubishi clones, but I really don't see a lot of Honda influence.

I think they make a good car, but their chassis tuning is terrible. The best Hyundai I have driven was a 4 door V6 Genesis, and even that still didn't feel like it was all there yet, maybe the most current generation is. The FWDs are just awful...not a driver's car.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Up until about 10 years ago, I thought their powertrains were pretty much Mitsubishi clones, but I really don't see a lot of Honda influence.

I think they make a good car, but their chassis tuning is terrible. The best Hyundai I have driven was a 4 door V6 Genesis, and even that still didn't feel like it was all there yet, maybe the most current generation is. The FWDs are just awful...not a driver's car.

thumbsup2.gif
yep.

I've said it before, they should partner with Mazda.

It's not that far-fetched. Kia's original designs were poorly executed Mazda designs. The Festiva was a Mazda 121. The Sephia was a 323

Hyundai has the operational scale: ship-building, steel, locomotives, semi-trailers, heavy construction equipment...etc... Mazda has the chassis tuning expertise.

Imagine what the Equus could be in the hands of Mazda engineers. An Asian 7-series or S-class? It would almost certainly eclipse the Lexus LS.

Originally Posted By: horse123
They like to think they make luxury cars.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

not quite finished

hAaaaaaaaaaaAa

If you look in an interior of the new 2015 Kia Sedona mini van-they are VERY LUXURIOUS compared to both Honda and Toyota. I know I have looked.

I have a friend who was looking at the Mercedes "C" class. He could buy any car in that price range he wanted. He finally decided on the Hyundai Genesis.

Hyundai and Kia have come a long way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back