2004 Kia Sedona codes and question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings and good evening on this chilly Florida evening with warm weather on the way (70's tomorrow).

So here's the long story short.

Last summer, my daughter took her 2004 Kia Sedona van to a local repair shop to have the timing belt replaced. Shop did the job in short order. One week later, the timing belt broke and trashed the engine.

I had the van towed back to the shop where (remember, long story short), the tech admitted it was his fault and he would install a used engine with equal or less miles at his own expense.

Finally, used motor installed, (which I now suspect has way more miles than the van actually shows on the odometer - but that's another thread), we pick up the van. All seems well for about a week. Then the Check Engine light comes on.

I head to Auto Zone where the read the codes:

P0431: Warm up catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 2

P0122: Throttle/Pedal position sensor, switch A circuit low.

P1159 Manufacturer Control

I replace the Throttle position sensor.

All is well for about a week. Then our friendly bright Check Engine Light appears.

Daughter drives the van with the light on until I recently purchased my own code reader from Harbor Freight, (she's only put about 500 miles on the van in this period of time since her work is less than a mile from her house and she drove one of my cars for a while until I could repair the steering - another story/thread).

Beginning this week, I plugged my code reader into her van and read:

P0431 Warm up catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 2.

P0507 Idle Air Control System RPM higher than expected, (motor does rev around 2,000 rpm on start-up).

I removed the air snorkel and cleaned the MAF sensor and cleaned the Throttle body to the best of my ability without removing the throttle body. I then reconnected everything, making sure all the fittings were tight and all wire connections were secure, (when said van was "repaired," I discovered a lot of loose bolts, fittings and connections. I've been spending some time finding loose things and tightening them, so I thought wire connections might be loose and therefore, throwing codes - yet another story/thread).

I cleared the codes, started it up, (which produced a high idle start) and drove the van around today.

After about 15 miles, the Check Engine Light came on again. This time however, the only code, (so far) is the reoccurring P0431, "Warm up catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 2."

Now, here's my question. When the timing belt broke and destroyed the motor, is it possible that bits and pieces of the motor blew through the cat before the motor finally finished turning and thereby either damaged or destroyed the cat? (I saw the old motor, the heads and piston tops were literally in pieces).

Of what she told me, when the motor destroyed itself, it took all of about 30 seconds, but I'm wondering if in that 30 second death knell, it blew enough debris into the exhaust system to create havoc with the cat and therefore, we keep getting these repeat "P0431" codes.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas?

Thanks.

I wonder if the warm up cat, part of the manifold or darn close to it, came with the donor engine.

Also this van needs a road trip to trip some I/M monitors. A mile won't do it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I wonder if the warm up cat, part of the manifold or darn close to it, came with the donor engine.

Also this van needs a road trip to trip some I/M monitors. A mile won't do it.

Not sure if it's the original or came with the donor engine. This van has two cats with one directly beneath the exhaust manifold on the back of the engine, (next to the firewall), hence the reason I'm thinking it got sprayed with metal bits and pieces when the original motor gave up the ghost.

I should throw into the mix that while she was driving it, I had her pour in a can of Berryman's B-12 Chemtool and a bottle of "Guaranteed to Pass."

It's didn't make the Check Engine light go out, but perhaps it cleaned all the crud out of this donor motor as it is crudded up big time, (When the van was returned to us, I changed the oil that day. I'm changing it again tomorrow as it's already very dirty after only 500 miles - uggh!)

I have seen similar indications due to a bad oxygen sensor on Bank 2. Maybe try removing it and cleaning it with carb cleaner before replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back