Washing Cars In 0 Degree Weather..

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I'd like to wash the salt off my truck right now. I think I'll wait until tomorrow when it's 30 degees outside. I can't believe the cars that were lined up at the car wash yesterday when I left work. It was 3 degrees outside and the last thing on my mind when I left work.... was getting the truck washed. These people must be NUTTTSS!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Doors and windows freezing shut.Thats nuts.

+1

And worse if you are still in it.

That happened to our work Taurus. Washed it and got back and left it parked for a couple hours. I had to climb in through passenger door and then when I around a corner I found out neither front doors latched. The taurus was going to fly!

Purchased car wash code after refueling. The gas station turned off car wash because it is too cold. I have been waiting for 3 days for a wash.

Yes. I found a heated coin-op that uses fresh water, but I haven't gone because the roads have yet to dry out.

The brushes won't work below 32, but I never use those anyway.

What I do is pay $5 for 8 and a half minutes of water, and completely hose the car off from top to bottom. I even get inside the doors and the entire undercarriage. Then I go home and hand wash in the garage with ONR and warm water. Again, only when the roads are dry.

I'll wash my car when its -20 -30C its great, stays clean, I try and wipe the jambs down and when I get home I leave all the doors open for 10 min before I close it up and go inside.

I use warm water in a bucket and hand wash on cold weather. Although it never gets anywhere near that cold here. After the wash, park it inside the garage.

There's enough salt dust in the air I wouldn't want my car to effectively be a swiffer until it dries.

As much as everyone hates Armor All, I've used it for years on rubber weatherstripping with great results. It also works good on tires if you're out of tire shine, just doesn't last as long.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Do they heat the carwashes there? Ours freeze till they thaw,fortunately that's around lunchtime.

Death Valley freezes? I knew yall had cool nights since the ground cant hold heat in....

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
As much as everyone hates Armor All, I've used it for years on rubber weatherstripping with great results. It also works good on tires if you're out of tire shine, just doesn't last as long.

The thing with armor all, or at least the old timey stuff, would be that the sun would bake it and it would leave a chalky look behind. I saw it alot when working at a carwash.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

The thing with armor all, or at least the old timey stuff, would be that the sun would bake it and it would leave a chalky look behind. I saw it alot when working at a carwash.

I would never use it on an interior. I use it mainly on weatherstripping and underhood plastics.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
As much as I'd like to wash the salt off my truck right now. I think I'll wait until tomorrow when it's 30 degees outside. I can't believe the cars that were lined up at the car wash yesterday when I left work. It was 3 degrees outside and the last thing on my mind when I left work.... was getting the truck washed. These people must be NUTTTSS!!!

I never washed my cars when temperature is below 60F under the sum, and below 65F under shade.

Ideal temperature to wash a car is when temperature is in mid 70's under shade. Above 80 F is too hot and below 60f is too cold.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Death Valley freezes? I knew yall had cool nights since the ground cant hold heat in....

Believe it or not, the mysterious sliding rocks leaving long drag marks behind them in Death Valley turned out to be pushed across the desert floor by wind-blown ice floes...

Back on topic, they seem to turn off our car washes somewhere between -20 and -30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back