Rotating Tires Is Overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Took these pics today while stopped at a light. I find it amazing that there's people out there who do this, not rotate their tires and drive so unsafe. I'm sure this guy hops onto the freeway and does 70+ mph like everybody else. The picture of tires with tread are the rears and were obviously from the same set. Morons! Ok, end of rant.

2uxz974.jpg

2efmdt2.jpg

How do you know that's from not rotating the tires? And how do you know it's from the same set? Maybe he couldn't afford to replace all four tires at the same time.

I don't see any wires showing... and that car has a [censored] good alignment, wherever they get their alignments done, I want to know!

Last edited:
I generally don't care for posts like this where a picture is taken and then everybody bashes it. Let's face it-tires are expensive, front end work is expensive. Perhaps this guy is a little down on his luck and public transportation is not an option for whatever reason.

GIVE HIM A BREAK!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The picture of tires with tread are the rears and were obviously from the same set. Morons! Ok, end of rant.

He did rotate them after doing a few burnouts. I guess it didn't help. Rotation indeed is overrated.

My HPDE club allows tires with no or little tread as long as they show no cords. It's still safe in the dry.

Last edited:
on a car with a good front end and aligned properly, I find rotating tires is over-rated. The recommendation is every 6k miles but if they are wearing evenly, whats the point? I do it once every 24 months, about 20k miles.

More than lack of rotation going on here.
The rears are new and the fronts are not.
In AZ, though, it wouldn't really matter.
The guy won't hydroplane in the rain you don't have nor have trouble in the snow you know only in photographs.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I find it amazing that there's people out there who do this,

I find it amazing that, rather than focus on traffic and what's going on around him, someone would actually sit at a stop light and take pictures of other vehicles tires. It's rather creepy that someone would do that.

Originally Posted By: CKN
I generally don't care for posts like this where a picture is taken and then everybody bashes it. Let's face it-tires are expensive, front end work is expensive. Perhaps this guy is a little down on his luck and public transportation is not an option for whatever reason.

GIVE HIM A BREAK!

And after the owner hydroplanes causing a major accident should he still get a break?

Hello, A little reality check is necessary here.
Those tires are bald and illegal. Illegal doesn't bother me per se but the danger of hydroplaning is quite real.

It's not creepy to take a snap of someone's accouterments at a stop light. Cheers

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: CKN

GIVE HIM A BREAK!

And after the owner hydroplanes causing a major accident should he still get a break?

He should have insurance. That's what it is for. If the tires look like that-you will collect from his insurance and have a lawsuit if you wish.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, A little reality check is necessary here.
Those tires are bald and illegal. Illegal doesn't bother me per se but the danger of hydroplaning is quite real.

It's not creepy to take a snap of someone's accouterments at a stop light. Cheers

No-it's creepy to post it on a forum and then pontificate about it.

Cheers!

The U.S. Federal government doesn’t have any laws for tread depth, but 42 of the states do have regulations. They consider two-thirty-seconds of an inch to be the minimum legal tread depth. Two other states, including California, consider one-thirty-second to be the minimum and six states have no standards at all. Arizona is one of the states that has no minimum. If there was there is still a center groove. Not saying I agree or approve of this but it may not be illegal.

By the time I should rotate the tires I need two new ones anyway. I only make sure to have the new tires on the rear.

As for people driving slicks on the road, I hope they don't run into me in foul weather.

hotwheels

I rotate mine once a year usually about 8000miles.

I rotate the winter tires when installing,

then rotate the all-seasons when installing in spring.

I usually travel about 10000-12000miles/year
7000-9000 on the all-seasons
2500-4000 on the winter tires.

I dont find it creepy to take tire photos.. I dont do it while driving though.. just while in a parking lot and see something humorous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back