PriusV two

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 model year, got it on Feb 3th, 2015 for $5000 off MSRP (around $23200 before tax and all fee, around $25500 after). Was looking for this unicorn and end up driving 6 hours round trip to get it home.

Was originally looking for a 2014 Mazda5 sport automatic that would have been $5000 cheaper. After the test drive I really like it because of how car like it feels, but wife complained about the manual sliding door being too heavy and the rear seats are a bit bouncy. Then we test drove a PriusV and got the exact opposite opinion. Wife complained about the engine on/off makes the car drives very funny from stop light, but the rear seats are very comfortable because it could recline back and is a bench seat. She has a bad back and wanted something that opens up instead of cave in to hold you in place.

So, as Critic said, "Wait, what? How did that happen?"

We looked all over for vehicles that has reclining back seats, and found only 1) European wagons, 2) Subaru, 3) SUVs with 3 rows, 4) PriusV. 1) and 2) got eliminated due to potential reliability reasons, 1) and 3) got eliminated due to cost reasons, and 3) again for not fitting 2 cars into our 2 car garage reason.

After driving it home, I like it more and more (instead of the initial "oh well, it works"). The base model PriusV two has just the right amount of features like Bluetooth, back up camera, TPMS, spare tire instead of run flat, microfiber seats, power windows and door locks, AC, CD player, push button start, and cruise control for no additional rip off cost. When I first drive it home the hybrid battery was on low charge and got me 20mpg. It goes up to an average of 39mpg now and I'm satisfied for the way I drive despite still being less than advertised. It drives OK other than being slow from stop (until engine turns on), but I can see myself getting used to it and the cargo space would be useful because wife just gave birth to another daughter 2 days after I bought this car, and my 2 door Integra will definitely be too small.

I would still recommend the Mazda5 over this if the manual sliding door is not an issue and you are not obsessed with reclining bench style back seat. However I still like this car a lot for a small family hauler that gets great fuel economy (39mpg for me, but I can see 45mpg for long commute for many people) if you can get it for a great price. I'd not load it up with options and packages, but the base model is a great deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What reliability issues with number 2) are you talking about?

Mainly axles / CVs, the 4WD system, the belt and cone type CVT, and the head gaskets on flat engines. I know they are better than before but I still think for similar price as a PriusV after fuel economy gain and hybrid battery replacement cost, I'd take a PriusV instead.

Congrats on the car and the kid. If you haven't yet, check out the PriusChat website for a wealth of info.

I am expecting our second child in April. Our first child is 3. My wife says my cobalt is good enough. I think outrageous daycare costs are the reason. Jealous you got a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Mainly axles / CVs, the 4WD system, the belt and cone type CVT, and the head gaskets on flat engines. I know they are better than before but I still think for similar price as a PriusV after fuel economy gain and hybrid battery replacement cost, I'd take a PriusV instead.

It's not a Nissan, the Subaru CVT is reliable. The head gasket issues are in the past but they do have oil consumption in the 4 cylinders

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I am expecting our second child in April. Our first child is 3. My wife says my cobalt is good enough. I think outrageous daycare costs are the reason. Jealous you got a new vehicle.

Congrats to you too. I would think Cobalt is good enough too if I have one, but my car is 2 doors and at 253k miles, I couldn't afford to risk getting stuck without one for hauling kids around so I have to buy something quick. I'd imagine it would be near impossible to put 2 kids in the back of a 2 door car on rear facing seats.

Car payment is nothing compare to daycare cost these days, I've seen as low as $1200 to as high as $2100 / month for infant to below 2 years old! Talking about ridiculous.

Last edited:
Car payment is nothing compare to daycare cost these days, I've seen as low as $1200 to as high as $2100 / month for infant to below 2 years old! Talking about ridiculous.

after having a couple of my own, i wouldn't watch anyone else's for less.

We strongly considered the PriusV. IIRC, Certified Pre-Owned gets an 8 year warranty on the battery pack. 1 year comprehensive.

I'm still a little skeptical of the battery packs in this climate.

Nice score! Enjoy your new ride
thumbsup2.gif

Subaru AWD seems useless in Silicon valley I would skip too and I own one
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back