VW Passat 1.8T Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a little reluctant to try changing the oil on my 2014 Passat Wolfsburg with the 1.8 Turbo Gasoline motor. I couldn't find any instructions. Turns out it is the easiest oil change I have ever done! First the filter, VW part number 06L 115 562, is located on the left hand side of the motor. The filter has a black lid with "25.5 NM" on it. Remove that with a 32 MM socket. When you do, the filter comes off with the lid and the oil automatically drains into the sump, great system. Pull off the old filter and push on the new, replace the O-Ring that is just above the threaded part of the lid (you should put a little oil on the O-Ring). Now screw the lid, with the filter back where it was and tighten it to 25.5 NM (you can look up the In/lb or Ft/lb equivalent on "www.PMEL.ORG", which shows conversions for just about everything).

To remove the old oil I used an "Oil Extractor" These work great on the 1.8 Turbo motor! On some cars the probe (which you stick down the dip stick hole) doesn't go the lowest part of the oil pan. On this engine it sucked out virtually all of the oil without any problem. If you don't have one of these, you will have to remove a protective cover and the oil drain plug to drain the oil. If you removed the drain plug and cover, put them back on. Now refill the crankcase with the recommended oil and you're finished. If you used the oil extractor your hands are probably still clean.

Glad to hear it worked out well. My 530i is the same - a breeze to change oil on.

Also, be thankful your new engine still has a dipstick tube. Some new engines don't.
smile.gif

I can tell you that my 2004 Passat with the 1.8T is an absolute PITA to change the oil. Filter is hard to get to, leaks all over the place despite use of heavy duty freezer bag trick (don't tell my wife!) and the belly pan requires removal to access the drain plug.

I modified the belly pan to have an opening that allows draining the oil by cutting 2 zip ties and opening a small hatch, works great.

Nice to see VW made the new one more maintenance friendly!

Correction. The oil from the filter does not drain back into the sump. It drains into the belly pan. Ask me how I know.

What oil and filter did you use?

I thought the oil change on this truck was going to be horrible, but i didnt even spill one drop. Drain plug was just right and the filter is open end up so i just put a newspaper bag around it after breaking it loose and voilà. Didnt even have to,drive up on ramps or place on jackstands. Way to go Chevy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back