Replaced air filter at 30,000 miles 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because your car/truck didn't come with a restriction gauge, doesn't mean you can't ADD one. I put them on all my cars/trucks that didn't come with one.
Saves me money and better for my engine. Plus I know when to change the air filter out so I don't run them to long and clog them up or change it out to early(new filters let in more dirt). It's a win/win for me.

ROD

Why is their so much soot on that filter? Is that truck driven around a coal yard or something?

Get a restriction gage; you can find them at many auto-parts sources and all around the net.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=air+filter+restriction+gauge
There are a whole host of ones to choose from; if you cannot find one to your liking, you are apparently not looking very hard.

Why guess when you can know?

BTW - these things can pay for themselves in one or two exchanges. Often these cost LESS than a filter (especially a diesel air filter ....)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: CT8
The filter is not close to needing replacement. But you got your moneys worth out of it.
that is not a logical statement after your first sentence contradicts it...
Actually 30,000 miles is adequate use out of the filter. ans Yes it could have gone longer. Think about it a bit more.

My Accent filter is over 2 years and 45k miles. Still looks new.

accent-air-filter-2-years-45k-miles.jpg

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
My Accent filter is over 2 years and 45k miles. Still looks new.

You probably live in a good area for your lungs too.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
When your filter turns black...its pretty much time to replace it!

Yeah I agree. Im not in the camp of having (cake) as they call it building up on the filter to assume it will filter better. You probably want to change it before the clean side doesnt look new anymore.

And, btw, doesnt Blackstone sometimes say nice, your silicon is down, did you install a new filter?

That Hyundai filter is crazy clean

Letting it get that bad is nothing short of sheer neglect. I change my filters way to often, but that is just ridiculous...

Isn't there the theory that dirty filters filter better than brand new ones?

For my BMW the service manual says not to change the filter as often if you are driving in dusty areas. You would think in a dusty area you would need to change it more often, not less.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Isn't there the theory that dirty filters filter better than brand new ones?

Yes; that is the theory.
And it is replicated in real world testing as well.

Per an old thread Jim Allen had, after his visit to Parker, approximately 90% of the total dirt passed by a typical air filter will be in the first 10% of the lifecycle. Therefore, frequent FCIs with your air filter are detrimental to be sure.

The only time an air filter is a risk is if you load it to a point of collapse (or near that point). Until then, it continues to do it's job with increasing efficiency. Only when it would physically be compromised by deformation by air pressure would an efficiency issue result.

That does not speak to air restriction for combustion; that's a different topic. But generally air filters are way over capacitizied for normal use. You can load them up fairly heavily and still have adequate air for combustion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back